Anyone have experience running in the cold?

lambornima

I hate treadmills. I hate stationary bikes. Ive been reluctant to run when its well below zero(< -5), but now that its warming up a bit Im thinking of getting back on a running routine I used to have in the summer.

Anyone have experience running in relatively cold temps (0-10C)? Should it be avoided regardless? Any dangers to the lungs and trachea?

Thanks,

Nima

All excellent replies so far...

In all seriousness, as a fellow Canuck, I can tell you that from my experience, running in the cold is nothing to worry about. I limit myself to around -10 or so, but anything warmer seems fine. The most difficult thing is to dress properly... What doesn't feel like enough clothing when you set out will seem like a sauna-suit within minutes.

Though this is more appropriate for the colder months... The weather now should pose no problems. Get out there. Summer is coming... the girls are waiting :D

Anyone have experience running in relatively cold temps (0-10C)? Should it be avoided regardless? Any dangers to the lungs and trachea?

Thanks,

Nima

Living on the west coast, I regularly run in those temperatures during this time of year. Just remember to warm up first, I do so by walking 5 minutes, and ease your way up prior to a hard run.

I run here until it gets around 10F. I find that running most every day as the temp starts to drop it really isn't that bad as I guess I get use to it. We don't usually see much colder than that, but as for running in 10F degree weather........not a problem.

Main thing is, dress for it.

Not me...but my brother is a super crazy dedicated runner...runs 8 miles a day minimum...marathons and 24 hour relays and such. he runs outside down to -25 celcius. he wears this crazy suit, make him look like spiderman running down the sidewalk, says it keeps him toasty.

even i've ventured out for a run in the winter...but below -7 C its not much fun...anything above that and just running in a light jacket, some long johns under track pants and gloves and you'll warm right up in a few minutes.