Murcielago SV vs. Aventador (face-to-face shootouts)

RaginBull

Hey Roy!

I drove it again tonight. So far the SV has lived up to and beyond the hype. I don't want to go overboard with praise since I am still in the honeymoon phase. I can tell you these things:

1) Totally different in just about every way then the Aventador.

2) They both have their positives.

3) I will never sell the 670-SV and the only way I see myself ever selling the Aventador is if the SV comes out and it does not have cylinder deactivation or stop/start and it is as big a leap as the 670 over the 640.

4) I do not think there will ever be a car with a feel that is anything like the SV again. My initial impression is "old school pushed to the limits."

They both have a place is history. The LP-670 is the end of a long era. It has elements of american muscle cars while being 100% classic Lamborghini at its finest. The LP-700 is huge a step in to the future but since it is the first step it still has a little bit of that feel.

With stuff like cylinder deactavation and some owners complaining about being whipped too hard by gear changes from their menacing spaceship super car :jack: , I fear the early 700's are the rawest it will ever be. They tried hard (sucessfully) to add a good helping of rawness in to the scientific beast that is the LP-700. The SV was born raw and they tried to refine it. Opposite starting points and opposite approaches to reach the same theoretical end results. In theory they are going for the same kind of thing. But they are very different.

Both are raw in different ways.

The SV is old school raw. Will the wheels leave me on this turn? It feels like they may but they don't. This thing is crazy!! Even though it is glued to the road it doesn't feel like it is. Very exciting! :icon_twisted: :icon_eek: I love the gearbox. It fits the car perfectly. My favorite surprise is the way you can feel the engine vibration through the cockpit in high revs. The connection you feel with the car is amazing.

The Aventador is raw with precision. The chassis and suspension are much stiffer and less forgiving. But in turn it is so much more exact in all it does. The steering is literally dead on and frightening in how easy it is. But then you change gears and it kicks you in the head! :saw: :icon_super:

The Aventador feels so well designed. Built with the greatest computers, materials, and latest spaceship like technology. A product largely of the huge computer advancements (getting to use the VW unlimited budget custom design programs) and very creative and talented people using them. A masterpiece of art and science. The SV feels like it was built the good old way by men with tools and drawings, then pushed to its absolute limits. Like they used the old technology (that has been fun for 40 years) and made it the best it could ever be. A masterpiece of art and passion. :icon_pidu:

Just as with their looks, the longer I stare the harder it is to pick a favorite, I suspect the more I drive them back-to-back the harder it will get. They both have great qualities and personalities that I like for different reasons. I am very happy and thankful that I do not have to choose and I can keep them both. :celb:

After driving in a Countach last week in Miami, I enjoy and respect the evolution of the brand more. The Murcielago SV has a lot more of that Countach soul then the Aventador. But the Aventador is the world of tomorrow, today. The SV closed the book on a glorious past and the 700 wrote the first chapter of the new world order.

Oh, and I cannot imagine a time when either of these cars won't be considered fast as all hell!

Sorry if I didn't add much yet. That is my initial impression.

Thanks for the write up this seems like a very accurate analysis and a point of view that cannot be offered by a magazine test driver who has minimal seat time in both cars.

I agree the SV will be a true collectors car being the last of the old school breed just like the BMW 1M coupe. All the new cars are starting to get less engaging and more numb with integration of electronics in every aspect of the car.

Btw this one is super tempting if I did not just pick up the aventador 2 weeks ago I would be all over this:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170967731406

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the write up this seems like a very accurate analysis and a point of view that cannot be offered by a magazine test driver who has minimal seat time in both cars.

I agree the SV will be a true collectors car being the last of the old school breed just like the BMW 1M coupe. All the new cars are starting to get less engaging and more numb with integration of electronics in every aspect of the car.

Btw this one is super tempting if I did not just pick up the aventador 2 weeks ago I would be all over this:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170967731406

Thanks for the kind words!

I've driven the Aventador a lot the past few days and I am enjoying it more then ever.

The SV is an epic all-time-great end of an era (more then just Lamborghini, all of supercar design) and it will be appreciated more in the future. I have considered getting another SV! With the Kreissieg and the tune it is insane.

They are both equally exciting and rewarding in different ways! You will enjoy your Aventador a lot!! I look forward to your updates!

• 3 weeks later...
i believe we are still waiting on some proper videos of the SV :monkeyleft:

Outside of uploading videos to y-tube, how do you get videos uploaded on this forum?

If I could upload them like a pic, I would.

Outside of uploading videos to y-tube, how do you get videos uploaded on this forum?

If I could upload them like a pic, I would.

With that collection, I'm sure you would be the next big thing on YouTube! Make one!!

Btw what's with the MB S65 in your signature? Pics please in a separate thread? :eusa_dance:

Ride for his dad. Being replaced by an EWB Ghost I believe. Real question is what happened the the Lamborghini he was working on closing a deal on at the begining of the year...

Don't leave us hanging anymore!!

you can password protect videos at vimeo.com

https://vimeo.com/31707674

Thanks! I will look in to it. I have never used Vimeo.

With that collection, I'm sure you would be the next big thing on YouTube! Make one!!

LOL. I am not interested in internet fame. That is why I originally brought up not wanting to do youtube.

Btw what's with the MB S65 in your signature? Pics please in a separate thread? :eusa_dance:

I got my Dad an S65 AMG back in 2007 brand new. He never liked it. There has been this, "Parking attendant not available" light and beep that comes on the dash periodically when he stops at lights. The dealership has not been able to get rid of it after many many attempts.

I got him a Ghost last year for his place in Florida. He loves it. He calls it heaven on wheels. So, last week I bought him a new Ghost EWB from F C Kerbeck to use when he is in NJ. Now he has a Ghost in both locations. When I was buying the EWB I realized the value of his S65 AMG was only 65-70k. For that much money, its just not worth selling to me. Its a great car, I paid 208 new and he has barely used it and never beat on it. So, since the Rapide didn't work out for family sedan duties, after consulting with VBOXKING, i decided to try the S65 and look at doing some Renntech mods. I was originally going to trade the Benz and buy a new Rapide for me and the EWB for my father. Instead, I just got the EWB and I am trying the Benz out. If I like it after a few more weeks, I will Renntech it up with Fabspeed, fit it with Recaro baby seats, and keep it for that. I will post a pic later. I drove it eariler to brunch in Philadelphia. I am convinced there is no proper 4 door, 4 seater that I will truly enjoy. Might as well take this one with the big V12 and try to make it to my liking.

Ride for his dad. Being replaced by an EWB Ghost I believe. Real question is what happened the the Lamborghini he was working on closing a deal on at the begining of the year...

Don't leave us hanging anymore!!

Unfortunately, the cars I was working on didn't work out. There is another in talks now. I will let everyone know when I get my next, which I am sure will be before the end of Q1.

That too^

:D

The rapide is a hell of a car. Although it isn't that roomy. Have you test driven one before?

I drove it. FC Kerbeck brought it to my house. We went as far as to load my recaro baby seat and take my son for a ride. My wife came along too. It is an amazing car. I love it. But like you said, it is not very roomy and that defeats the purpose of a family car. I am using the S65 right now and plan to possibly order the new Vanquish. I love the AM's. Since I won't be using it for 4 seater duties, I might as well go Vanquish.

Wow I don't know how i missed this thread. AWESOME garage RaginBulls! Honestly it's inspiring. I hope to be able to match that one day :)

Thanks Tony! I hope you get all the toys you desire too!

• 3 weeks later...

I drove my SV for the first time in 3 weeks today. The weather has been crap. Last I drove was the Aventador, so it was the Murcie's turn. Great drive!

This update is more about the exhaust. The SV's has a Kreissieg system which is perfect. I love Kreissieg. I have been in contact with them since before I bought my Aventador asking for the date they will release their system for the Aventador. Finally, they have informed me that it will be more than 6 months. I have waited over a year now. It is time to move on. At the moment, the only clips that have impressed me are the IPE Innotech. I don't want to be any company's first, and from the clips I have seen on youtube, IPE is by far the most exciting and closest to the Kreissieg sound.

Does anyone on here have an IPE system on an Aventador?

I saw this photo recently and immediately thought of you :)

both cars belong to different owners..the orange LP700 belongs to the owner of that house. The black 670 SV belongs to a friend of his.

I cant believe I missed out this thread..then again, i just got back to LPower after a long break..and WOW..spent almost half a day going thru the whole thread...congrats to you! what a read!

don't email photos of your house..we all want to see them! :icon_mrgreen: please post it up if you can.

also i agree with Fortis that the logo should go on a black/dark background..i was thinking for the SV side, it would be nice to have black walls and orange flooring..just the opposite of the other side of the garage..if you know what i mean. :icon_super:

weird the SV prices are dropping by alot here in Singapore..the prices don't hold well on Lambos here..maybe because nobody is into old models around here. :eusa_think:

weird the SV prices are dropping by alot here in Singapore..the prices don't hold well on Lambos here..maybe because nobody is into old models around here. :eusa_think:

It's exactly the same here but I think the reasons are the high taxes you initially pay and the sometimes even larger dealer mark ups, thats the huge drop you immediately see on the secondary market, on the secondary market they drop to almost US pricing or 10 to 20% above and than tend to stabilize there for many years to come, another factor you'd have to consider is the fact that the cars are RHD, when it comes to the export markets there is very little to no desire anywhere in the world for RHD cars, with the exception of very few countries most allow RHD and LHD to be driven on their roads with cars being a lot cheaper in US that's the first port of call for imports.

Also as you rightly said latest and greatest tend to prevail in our markets.

The Murcielago SV is a ridiculous deal in all countries / currencies. That car should be at least double the price it sells for. :eusa_shhh: Don't tell anyone and buy one now if you can. Thank me later! :icon_lol: :celb:

The Murcielago SV is a ridiculous deal in all countries / currencies. That car should be at least double the price it sells for. :eusa_shhh: Don't tell anyone and buy one now if you can. Thank me later! :icon_lol: :celb:

I've not been here in a long time and found this thread and read it end to end. Very well written and I have very similar observations. I didn't plan to keep my SV this long but I just don't know of anything else that's as fun to drive. Yes, the Aventador is a beast and deserves high marks, but it is a different direction entirely. I just didn't warm up to it.

I didn't see how many miles you have on your SV, but I will say there was a much longer break-in period than my LP640 which seemed to find its spirit at around 5,500 miles. The SV took longer and I didn't really notice it come alive until after about 6,000 miles. For whatever reason, there does seem to be a difference when you add miles. Also, according to my mechanic, they show fewer and fewer problems as they settle in.

As for the extended warranty with the SV, Roy is correct. From what dealers and other owners told me, the factory seems to do everything in their power to not extend the warranty. If the car changed hands in the warranty period, it can't be extended. To me that's a worthy challenge in court. They also require that service intervals be based on time since date of purchase rather than miles so all cars that are now 3 years old, must have at a minimum their 15,000 mile service completed. My dealer quoted me $9,100 for that service even though I only have 7,600 miles on my car. When you add the extended warranty cost, plus inspection, you're looking at a big number, so unless you already have the miles on the car or plan to drive the miles in the coming year, it's not a great program and I believe Lamborghini was intentional in designing it that way. It's an especially big ripoff for those very low mile cars.

Meanwhile, for less than $500k I can't find a more exciting car to drive than the SV. I love the rawness and the stability at very high speeds. I also agree that it's the end of an era. They only built 186 SVs worldwide, and there are only about 30-35 remaining in the US so it already is a very rare car, especially when you deduct those that crashed- probably 20 or so. I wish the factory would step up and tell owners the truth about production, and renumber the badges in order of production, fair and square. The badges are otherwise completely meaningless.

Really terrific thread!