Murcielago SV vs. Aventador (face-to-face shootouts)

RaginBull

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy--great points all around. And obviously, can't agree with you more about the car! I've got 4400mi on mine now--can't wait until I hit 5500! Roy said the same thing you did--it gets even better, which is hard to imagine.......

I've not been here in a long time and found this thread and read it end to end. Very well written and I have very similar observations. I didn't plan to keep my SV this long but I just don't know of anything else that's as fun to drive. Yes, the Aventador is a beast and deserves high marks, but it is a different direction entirely. I just didn't warm up to it.

Hey Tommy! Another happy SV owner! We need more on this forum! The SV and Aventador both strike chords in me in very different ways. The SV is more of an occasion to drive everytime and the Aventador is a two headed beast. Corsa mode on the freeways is a blast in both.

I didn't see how many miles you have on your SV, but I will say there was a much longer break-in period than my LP640 which seemed to find its spirit at around 5,500 miles. The SV took longer and I didn't really notice it come alive until after about 6,000 miles. For whatever reason, there does seem to be a difference when you add miles. Also, according to my mechanic, they show fewer and fewer problems as they settle in.

I think I have put around 2000 miles on it since I got it. Its probably at around 6500, I'd have to check. It's hard for me to say. When it arrived the exhaust needed a repair. Fabspeed fixed it (Kreissieg exhaust.. bad install). While it was there I had them tune it. It is a whole other animal post tune with the exhaust working correctly. It is very lively and more responsive.

As for the extended warranty with the SV, Roy is correct. From what dealers and other owners told me, the factory seems to do everything in their power to not extend the warranty. If the car changed hands in the warranty period, it can't be extended. To me that's a worthy challenge in court. They also require that service intervals be based on time since date of purchase rather than miles so all cars that are now 3 years old, must have at a minimum their 15,000 mile service completed. My dealer quoted me $9,100 for that service even though I only have 7,600 miles on my car. When you add the extended warranty cost, plus inspection, you're looking at a big number, so unless you already have the miles on the car or plan to drive the miles in the coming year, it's not a great program and I believe Lamborghini was intentional in designing it that way. It's an especially big ripoff for those very low mile cars.

Meanwhile, for less than $500k I can't find a more exciting car to drive than the SV. I love the rawness and the stability at very high speeds. I also agree that it's the end of an era. They only built 186 SVs worldwide, and there are only about 30-35 remaining in the US so it already is a very rare car, especially when you deduct those that crashed- probably 20 or so. I wish the factory would step up and tell owners the truth about production, and renumber the badges in order of production, fair and square. The badges are otherwise completely meaningless.

Really terrific thread!

Its always great to hear from other owners! Thanks!! I will get my SV serviced soon. I do all services on time for all my cars and pay what it costs. I like to keep them in as good condition as I can. Sometimes that gets expensive. Right now my 612 is getting a major service. There is nothing wrong with it, but I am doing the full belt service and what ever else Ferrari recommends at this point.

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad to see you're back! :icon_thumleft:

Tommy--great points all around. And obviously, can't agree with you more about the car! I've got 4400mi on mine now--can't wait until I hit 5500! Roy said the same thing you did--it gets even better, which is hard to imagine.......

I love that the SV is working for you Leadfoot! The tune and the Kreissieg are pretty insane and well worth it. I would consider doing them after a few thousand more miles. :icon_super:

Now if I can just get a Kreisseig like exhaust system for the Aventador and a tune :eusa_think: :rant: :angry:

Excellent thread. Do you find differences with the cars as you continuously drive them? I'm presuming they've gone past their break-in point, but is the rate of change post-break-in comparable?

Black is easily one of the best colors for the SV. Looks too menacing.

Black on any Lambo looks good. looks sleek :headbang:

Now if I can just get a Kreisseig like exhaust system for the Aventador and a tune :eusa_think: :rant: :angry:

it probably won't sound as good as the SV on the Aventador...

take the Gallardo with Ksg exhaust compared to LP560 with the same exhaust...the newer lambo doesn't scream as nice as before.. :crybaby2:

Excellent thread. Do you find differences with the cars as you continuously drive them? I'm presuming they've gone past their break-in point, but is the rate of change post-break-in comparable?

Thanks! The break-in on the Murcielago SV was different for me. I got it with around 4500 miles. It showed up and the motherboard taht controls the exhaust valves was not working. It was stuck on mute. I took it to Fabspeed, they fixed the sloppy install and did a tune. When I got it back from that it was instant stun! Total monster!

The Aventador, which I got new with about 50 factory miles on it, keeps getting better! They are both epic. It is so hard to choose. I definitely like each of them better for certain drives. They both have their pluses. It will be a more fair comparison when I get an exhaust on the Aventador and a tune done. I look forward to that! :icon_thumleft:

That is the thing about Lambos... I can have one color then I see another and want it just as bad! The Aventador Roadster Miami pics from a few weeks ago made my head spin. I loved every color! :headbang:

Black on any Lambo looks good. looks sleek :headbang:

it probably won't sound as good as the SV on the Aventador...

take the Gallardo with Ksg exhaust compared to LP560 with the same exhaust...the newer lambo doesn't scream as nice as before.. :crybaby2:

Thanks!

We will find out one day! I have no idea. But, I am dying to hear the Aventador with a proper exhaustt! :eusa_wall:

Unfortunately, Kreissieg is far from having a system for the Aventador. I am exploring other options and so far I am leaning towards the IPE Innotech. The clips look and sound amazing!

I've not been here in a long time and found this thread and read it end to end. Very well written and I have very similar observations. I didn't plan to keep my SV this long but I just don't know of anything else that's as fun to drive. Yes, the Aventador is a beast and deserves high marks, but it is a different direction entirely. I just didn't warm up to it.

I didn't see how many miles you have on your SV, but I will say there was a much longer break-in period than my LP640 which seemed to find its spirit at around 5,500 miles. The SV took longer and I didn't really notice it come alive until after about 6,000 miles. For whatever reason, there does seem to be a difference when you add miles. Also, according to my mechanic, they show fewer and fewer problems as they settle in.

As for the extended warranty with the SV, Roy is correct. From what dealers and other owners told me, the factory seems to do everything in their power to not extend the warranty. If the car changed hands in the warranty period, it can't be extended. To me that's a worthy challenge in court. They also require that service intervals be based on time since date of purchase rather than miles so all cars that are now 3 years old, must have at a minimum their 15,000 mile service completed. My dealer quoted me $9,100 for that service even though I only have 7,600 miles on my car. When you add the extended warranty cost, plus inspection, you're looking at a big number, so unless you already have the miles on the car or plan to drive the miles in the coming year, it's not a great program and I believe Lamborghini was intentional in designing it that way. It's an especially big ripoff for those very low mile cars.

Meanwhile, for less than $500k I can't find a more exciting car to drive than the SV. I love the rawness and the stability at very high speeds. I also agree that it's the end of an era. They only built 186 SVs worldwide, and there are only about 30-35 remaining in the US so it already is a very rare car, especially when you deduct those that crashed- probably 20 or so. I wish the factory would step up and tell owners the truth about production, and renumber the badges in order of production, fair and square. The badges are otherwise completely meaningless.

Really terrific thread!

good points made all around.

i was at Geneva last year, spoke to Winkelmann .... he claimed that there were 350 SVs made, and that ZERO were manuals ... he could not care less when i actually told him I have a manual SV ! It is ridiculous that the CEO does not know nor care about the ultimate Lambo they ever built.

on your other point; get more miles on the car then :eusa_dance: ; i bought mine with 13.5k km, and now she has 21k km. Runs perfectly still, except for the insane amount of stonechips that the nose gets.

oh , and where can i see some pics of your car?? you must have the only verde ithaca SV ?! love it !!

Unfortunately, Kreissieg is far from having a system for the Aventador. I am exploring other options and so far I am leaning towards the IPE Innotech. The clips look and sound amazing!

I've only heard the IPE system and stock in real life so far..i don't think Larini's pipe are in my country yet..the IPE is defo much much better than stock. and the flames.. :eusa_dance:

i was at Geneva last year, spoke to Winkelmann .... he claimed that there were 350 SVs made, and that ZERO were manuals ... he could not care less when i actually told him I have a manual SV ! It is ridiculous that the CEO does not know nor care about the ultimate Lambo they ever built.

on your other point; get more miles on the car then :eusa_dance: ; i bought mine with 13.5k km, and now she has 21k km. Runs perfectly still, except for the insane amount of stonechips that the nose gets.

oh , and where can i see some pics of your car?? you must have the only verde ithaca SV ?! love it !!

There were three Verde Ithaca SVs made. Only one for the US market. One is in Russia and is the car on YouTube doing all the challenges. The other is in Italy and shows up now and then on the streets, and my car. It's fairly easy to spot my car because of the US side markers. I've made no modifications to the car. I had the OC exhaust on my LP640 Roadster but decided to leave this car original given how few were built. All three SVs have different colored calipers. I've got the only one with black. The other two cars have yellow and gray.

I have a lot of respect for the LP640 and in some ways miss my Roadster because of the glorious noises I'd hear with an open top. Still, the differences are so numerous between the LP640 and LP670 that it's difficult to see them as the same car. The SV stands all alone in the automotive world.

DSC_7977.JPG

I remember when you got yours and speaking to you about it...I tried very hard to get yours or the other 6 speed Manual in Europe, the Brown SE color one from Switzerland. I could have been done but was just to cost restrictive. I can tell you for a fact that the numbers I and Tom have given are accurate...they where verified with a very very high up source in Lamborghini while here in the USA for an event..there is no question about the production numbers and or the amount of 6 speed cars.

As far as the rock chips, the front lower nose is very easy to cover in matt black wrap...and just replace it so from time to time, the grillls, they un-screw and remove quite easily...then just spray them with the truck liner bed matt black spray liner that is extremly rock resistant...you can not even tell it is on there...it is that good.

I also think Tom forgets to mention that his car has the extremely RARE option of LP640 seats finished in the SV theme in his car...I know of no other completed in this fashion in the USA, not sure of the rest of the world. Tom and I both had our exhaust baffels set to open all the time...and the exhuast is more then enough with this minor OEM modification.

I also think Tom forgets to mention that his car has the extremely RARE option of LP640 seats finished in the SV theme in his car...I know of no other completed in this fashion in the USA, not sure of the rest of the world

Pics of the seats?

i was at Geneva last year, spoke to Winkelmann .... he claimed that there were 350 SVs made, and that ZERO were manuals ... he could not care less when i actually told him I have a manual SV !

:eusa_wall:

I also think Tom forgets to mention that his car has the extremely RARE option of LP640 seats finished in the SV theme in his car...

why would you want that? one of the best features of the SV are the seats, and they are oh so comfortable.

hannibal, i suspect these are the ones roy's referring to

lamborghini__murcielago_lp670sv_2009_6_l

Pics of the seats?

I just went through about 1,000 pictures and I don't think I ever took any of just the seats. This is the closest I could find where you can see the SV seat pattern. They are Alcantara, similar to the LP640 seats that are adjustable. I didn't think the lightweight SV seats were very comfortable for me and these were 40 pounds more weight in total. I figured that was a few gallons of gas difference, so I preferred comfort. If I'm out for a drive, I'm out for hours at a time and after spending time in an SV prior to ordering mine, I decided I wanted something different. As I recall, they were the same price, either way.

My car is in for service and won't be done until the end of the month so I can upload some better shots then.

290183_2125502309641_4486031_o.jpg

25469_1291576782024_7465074_n.jpg

I've only heard the IPE system and stock in real life so far..i don't think Larini's pipe are in my country yet..the IPE is defo much much better than stock. and the flames.. :eusa_dance:

Thanks! That is reassuring! I am very close to ordering it. :icon_thumleft:

There were three Verde Ithaca SVs made. Only one for the US market. One is in Russia and is the car on YouTube doing all the challenges. The other is in Italy and shows up now and then on the streets, and my car. It's fairly easy to spot my car because of the US side markers. I've made no modifications to the car. I had the OC exhaust on my LP640 Roadster but decided to leave this car original given how few were built. All three SVs have different colored calipers. I've got the only one with black. The other two cars have yellow and gray.

I have a lot of respect for the LP640 and in some ways miss my Roadster because of the glorious noises I'd hear with an open top. Still, the differences are so numerous between the LP640 and LP670 that it's difficult to see them as the same car. The SV stands all alone in the automotive world.

I agree with your comments about the roadster and the difference in the SV. The Kreissieg system is insane on the SV. Also great power gains! I highly recommend it!

I just went through about 1,000 pictures and I don't think I ever took any of just the seats. This is the closest I could find where you can see the SV seat pattern. They are Alcantara, similar to the LP640 seats that are adjustable. I didn't think the lightweight SV seats were very comfortable for me and these were 40 pounds more weight in total. I figured that was a few gallons of gas difference, so I preferred comfort. If I'm out for a drive, I'm out for hours at a time and after spending time in an SV prior to ordering mine, I decided I wanted something different. As I recall, they were the same price, either way.

My car is in for service and won't be done until the end of the month so I can upload some better shots then.

I LOVE YOUR CAR!! VI looks amazing!!! Please post some seat pics when you get it back!

why would you want that? one of the best features of the SV are the seats, and they are oh so comfortable.

hannibal, i suspect these are the ones roy's referring to

lamborghini__murcielago_lp670sv_2009_6_l

Yes, those are the seats, minus the belts. They only offered stitching in the original SV colors, so I went with black.

Yes, those are the seats, minus the belts. They only offered stitching in the original SV colors, so I went with black.

I think it looks awesome! So are yours black alcantara with black stitching or green?

I think it looks awesome! So are yours black alcantara with black stitching or green?

Mostly black. The interior "SV" is silver. This is one of the very few pictures I could find of the interior. I have thousands of the exterior.

4314131685_abe5dff716_b.jpg

My Aventador is getting picked up later today and sent out for its custom wrap! I wanted to drive it out to the detail shop, but it would be a full day and I don't have the time. I am doing something that will protect the car for shipping to Italy and it should look pretty cool for the 50th Anniversary event! I am very excited! No pics till the event though. :eusa_dance: