Diablo Refresh

Sudesh

As my car had the new Murcielago clutch upgrade, I wanted to take a look at the slave and master cylinders. The slave cylinder was brand new and I could see this down through the engine bay, it also had the braided hose upgrade, so all that was fine. [sorry didnt take pics, but will return to this again soon]

However, my inspection of the master cylinder was showing the tell tale signs of imminent failure, in the pics below you will see the fluid is running down the fire wall, its basically seeping from the the pushrod which means the seals are done.

DSC_0495_zps2199c8ef.jpg

I pulled back the runner boot for a better look,

DSC_0496_zpsbb316550.jpg

DSC_0497_zps360214b9.jpg

I have new patten part master cylinder on the shelf, so will install that in the next day or two and compare it to the OEM. [will update with pics soon]

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While inspecting the master cylinder I noticed the steering shaft boot had perished and this leave the cabin open to the elements, so Ive a new one on order and will replace that and update too.

DSC_0498_zps8a1c29f9.jpg

The accelerator pedal was looking bad, and I didnt want to remove it to paint at the moment. So I decided to use another method

DSC_0499_zps4885955e.jpg

Pedal housing removed

DSC_0500_zpsaa3d7a63.jpg

I have some matt black vinyl wrap, took measurements of the pedal and cut and piece to suit

DSC_0501_zpsbab3c6cb.jpg

DSC_0502_zps89df0d33.jpg

Close up the pedal had a few rough spots that would show as lumps behind the vinyl,

DSC_0503_zps51a3133d.jpg

so a quick sand to smooth it off

DSC_0505_zps62b885e4.jpg

DSC_0506_zps8b63efc0.jpg

Wipe the pedal down and then apply the vinyl

DSC_0508_zps87b82f45.jpg

with a heat gun, I then lightly heathed the vinyl so Im able to fold it round the sides and back of the pedal and remove any air bubbles, I then re installed the pedal housing and used 3 new black bolts as apposed to the silly looking silver ones, after a quick wipe down and hoover it already looks much better

DSC_0510_zps6b8995a8.jpg

DSC_0511_zpse4a4ec25.jpg

DSC_0512_zps797d5f52.jpg

DSC_0515_zps611a2dbf.jpg

DSC_0520_zpse568f8e6.jpg

DSC_0523_zpsf55b42b0.jpg

I have new clutch and brake pedal rubber on the way too.

Please forgive my spelling and grammar mistakes, I though I could go back and edit after I update my thread, but I see I can't, once the post has been up for a while.

Please forgive my spelling and grammar mistakes, I though I could go back and edit after I update my thread, but I see I can't, once the post has been up for a while.

No worries, there have been very few sprinkled in some fantastic content! Looks great, and the vinyl pedal came out very nicely.

Keep it coming.

No worries, there have been very few sprinkled in some fantastic content! Looks great, and the vinyl pedal came out very nicely.

Keep it coming.

Thank you kindly, yes the vinyl is very good, I've used this method on a few other vehicles over the years, on various different bits; its extremely hard wearing too, and as a tester, I'll leave it on my pedal to gauge how good it wears, but I do know that it will most certainly be fine for the next year or two. It's cheap to install and doesn't require the pedal to be removed, which is a bonus.

Wow! Excellent write up. I have been holding off installing some CF rear light bezels because I thought it was going to be really difficult. After seeing your pics, it looks rather straight forward.

My only concern ... in the first pictures on your thread, it looks like you are not using any jack stands and using the jack to hold your vehicle up ... maybe I just don't see the jack stands.

Great thread of useful Info. What do you mean about the Murcie clutch though? The only diablo clutch options I know of for the diablo are the OEM one and the kevlar one.

Wow! Excellent write up. I have been holding off installing some CF rear light bezels because I thought it was going to be really difficult. After seeing your pics, it looks rather straight forward.

My only concern ... in the first pictures on your thread, it looks like you are not using any jack stands and using the jack to hold your vehicle up ... maybe I just don't see the jack stands.

Hi,

Thanks for the comment!

Hardest part is reaching the 4 bolts, but with some patience its no problem. I'll show the re-install too, hopefully the Newley painted bits will be ready today.

You are correct, there are no axle stands in the first pic, but that's because I wasn't working directly under the car. I reversed the car up onto the ramps I have in order to gain a bit more height at the side where the jack point is; then I put the jack under to raise the wheel off the ramp, so I can remove the wheel to inspect the brake pads, lines and remove the wheel liners to have a nosey in there. It's quite safe on the 3ton jack while just doing a quick side on inspection on these items.

There is however "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY" I would "work under" any vehice without it being secured on jack stands or professional ramps, even then I tend to double up on safety; this is the most important thing when it comes to laying directly under any vehicle.

Great thread of useful Info. What do you mean about the Murcie clutch though? The only diablo clutch options I know of for the diablo are the OEM one and the kevlar one.

Mike Pullen in the UK, does a clutch upgrade, which involves using the Murcielago one and some other bits, this upgrade makes the pedal really light and the car allot more pleasurable to drive. He did this work on my car a few weeks ago.

For more detailed info, I would suggest giving him a call as he can explain better than I.

Beautiful day here in Ireland, so I like to make the most of it, not often we seen 20+C here lol

In preparation to replace the master cylinder, Diablo needs to be raised/Jacked up as I need access to slave cylinder to bleed the system at the final stages.

There are many methods to jacking the car and use of the jack stands, I checked the workshop manual to gauge these point too, but decided to go a different route.

So with the aid of my trusty ramps, I reverse the car up. I have plenty of clearance at the front too.

DSC_0524_zpsfc5a3491.jpg

DSC_0525_zps05724af3.jpg

I use a good 3 ton jack and rubber compounded support

DSC_0526_zpsc0e42fdf.jpg

At the side of the car are specific jacking points, they are the little raised square shapes

DSC_0527_zps65cedbe6.jpg

I jack the car up high enough for front wheel clearence, and then place another ramp in reverse position under that wheel. I also keep axle stands underneath for safety, just at this point.

DSC_0530_zps2e76153a.jpg

DSC_0531_zps89879b32.jpg

Very slowly release the jack and let the wheels easy down onto the front and rear ramps.

DSC_0533_zpsdce7dd72.jpg

REPEAT THE PROCESS FOR THE OPPOSITE SIDE

After all 4 wheels are on the ramps, I take the jack to the rear of the car and raise it again to add jack stands at sides [using jacking points]

DSC_0536_zpsca4453d1.jpg

Car on all 4 ramps, level and very safe.

DSC_0532_zpsc07a0cf1.jpg

DSC_0535_zps3c9517b7.jpg

PLEASE REMEMBER, I DO ALL THIS WORK AT MY OWN RISK -

IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THE SAME - IT WILL BE AT "YOUR OWN" RISK AND I CANNOT BE HELP ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY ACCIDENT THAT MAY OCCUR

I THINK THIS IS AND SHOULD BE FAIRLY COMMON KNOWLEDGE ANYWAY.

Cool bits replacing the screws in the pedal cover and the vinyl cover idea. I had to put new screws in there too (I think the factory attachment method was flimsy rivets rather than the nickel plated screws you pulled out of there). ...going to be watching this thread everyday!

In order to replace the clutch master, the panel in the trunk needs to be removed, some of the bolts on mine were replace with easy twist lock/unlock type which are quite handy, but there are still 2 allen bolts to remove

DSC_0538_zps63c332f5.jpg

DSC_0539_zpsb36e6c60.jpg

DSC_0540_zps39c74f56.jpg

DSC_0543_zps5707981f.jpg

Nothing too complicated here, just push the washer bottle through

DSC_0544_zps23c34670.jpg

DSC_0545_zps6adbaed9.jpg

I then gently laid the panel on its face which fitted snuggly in the trunk

DSC_0546_zps9d01beb2.jpg

The clutch master is tucked far back

DSC_0547_zps118c90ef.jpg

DSC_0548_zps19e30872.jpg

Only one pipe goes into the unit

DSC_0550_zpsc217f205.jpg

Remove the cap followed by a small mesh filter that sits inside the plastic container

DSC_0549_zpse2d175d8.jpg

DSC_0552_zps8a8cd106.jpg

The pieces removed

DSC_0553_zpsca2eca51.jpg

Place some old rags/towls or similar below the master cylinder, please remember clutch fluid can damage paint and other items if left to penetrate, so wipe up any spillage right away.

DSC_0556_zps52c45a86.jpg

I use a sealey plunger and long tube to suck out as much old fluid as I can

DSC_0554_zpsd10fa95f.jpg

DSC_0557_zps5db60402.jpg

Once you get as much out as possible, its time to loosen the metal clutch line, carefully loosen it and pull it out to one side, there is no need to bend it as there is enough free flex to move it away.

DSC_0560_zpsba89502b.jpg

DSC_0561_zpsdb1fe359.jpg

So the first parts is done, cylinder is drained but leave the rags in place as there will still be drips coming out.

Next its onto the back breaker lol

The master cylinder is bolted from the inside, 2 bolts that hold it in place through the firewall and a nut and bolt through the fork to the clutch pedal,

DSC_0564_zps7d8f8d1e.jpg

hardest bolt to reach is the one on the top side of the rubber boot

DSC_0565_zps02f481b8.jpg

DSC_0566_zpse0848d2d.jpg

I take the nut/bolt out of the fork, first.

DSC_0567_zpsa03c97ce.jpg

DSC_0568_zps3691565f.jpg

Now remove the bolts holding the cylinder, make sure you get all the washers and remember the orientation of each item.

DSC_0569_zps32618ca8.jpg

All is free now, so back to the trunk and slide the old cylinder out

DSC_0570_zpse29bab6c.jpg

Old one and the bits

DSC_0571_zpse76909a4.jpg

This is the new cylinder I bought on ebay, it was less than half the price of one from Lamborghini UK and its got the same marking and make on it.

DSC_0572_zpsa4aade8a.jpg

Cap and internal mesh is the same

DSC_0573_zps6d694bad.jpg

DSC_0575_zpsa7729ddf.jpg

Only difference is the end piece, but thats no big issue as Ill just re-use the old one.

DSC_0576_zpsaf656c51.jpg

So just to get the measurements exact, for clutch pedal play the way it was in my car, I lined everything up and

DSC_0579_zpse9234def.jpg

You can see the difference at the fork, [even if the end piece were the same, the new one is further down the threads.

DSC_0581_zpsc4db716e.jpg

So loosen the retaining nut

DSC_0582_zpsf98e9cf1.jpg

screw the fork up until its level with the old one

DSC_0583_zpsc56ff868.jpg

DSC_0584_zps29f8933c.jpg

Now bring the retaining nut forward to the correct position, but dont tighten yet, as I need remove the fork

DSC_0586_zpsa2ddbe82.jpg

Take the fork off the old OEM unit and replace on the new one, at this point to double check the lengths, you can also cout the number of threads before and after the retaining nuts [Old vs New] Mine matched perfect.

DSC_0587_zpsbf2e43f3.jpg

Old OEM fork on the new unit

DSC_0588_zps11088a9a.jpg

So the re-install

Slip the new unit back into the position

DSC_0589_zps4cee373d.jpg

Put the pipe back in position, but dont tighten fully yet.

DSC_0590_zps65cbbc55.jpg

Back into the footwell next and the new piece is through

DSC_0593_zpscc162123.jpg

Start bolting it all back together, no need for huge amounts of torque here.

DSC_0595_zps89ed5989.jpg

Now tighten up the hard line

DSC_0596_zps046c3bbf.jpg

So new clutch master cylinder is installed, next is to bleed the system.

I use the same pump [cleaned] to re-fill cylinder

DSC_0598_zpsf7a722c7.jpg

DSC_0599_zps64cbbe8f.jpg

Now to the slave cylinder to open the bleed nipple

DSC_0600_zps6759d2fd.jpg

Remove rubber cap

DSC_0604_zps2153edc3.jpg

I use the old skool method of one man pumping the pedal, while I open and close the bleed screw and keep re-filling the master cylinder until all air bubbles are gone.

So a simple piece of kit, old jar with a clear rubber hose and bleed nipple adapter

DSC_0605_zpscb89a26d.jpg

DSC_0606_zps4e15249e.jpg

Attach to slave bleed nipple

DSC_0609_zpse374727c.jpg

DSC_0611_zps17933ed5.jpg

I must apologize for the next bit as I was unable to photograph the pumping of the clutch pedal, while opening and closing the bleed nipple etc, could have been doing with a third person to take pics.

But basically my bro is in the car, and im underneath at the slave cylinder, I open the bleed nipple and yell "PUMP"

My bro pushes the clutch pedal in, and keeps it there, a few seconds later I close the bleed nipple and he pull the pedal out

The above process is repeated many times, until I can see the fluid running nice and thick through the clear hose and its "bubble" free [no air]

You also need to keep popping out to refill the master cylinder as it doesnt hold much fluid.

I worked out that my bro pumped 6 times, and then I filled the cylinder again, safer this way and stops you sucking air in again.

So all finished, put the filter back in and the new cap, wipe down the area if there is any spillage and thats it!

DSC_0612_zpsdd0c3225.jpg

I noticed this hose was perished at the tip while in there, so just cut the bad section off and its good to re-install

DSC_0613_zps8c99d71a.jpg

DSC_0615_zps56e60342.jpg

DSC_0616_zps2e490f6f.jpg

Something I noticed when I viewed the car was that it took 2 people to open the engine cover, I knew this wasnt correct obviously. So today I had a look at what was happening, and something thats so simple can have such an affect.

The little rubber stop mounts on the left and right side were much too low, this in turn gave no spring type affect, to the latch lock, so when the release was pulled the weight of the cover kept it in the locked position, unless a second person was there to pull it up.

These are the rubber mounts

DSC_0620_zpsc4fe9c31.jpg

DSC_0621_zpsebce7624.jpg

They are threaded below and you just trun them by hand up or down as required, I turned mine up until the cover was level with the rear fenders and the now when I pull the latch, I hear the engine cover click open and only 1 person needed!!!

Good result!

OH! Almost forgot, received the black grill and light covers back this evening, Looks nice!

Hopefully get time to install tomorrow.

DSC_0619_zps47db21e1.jpg