Diablo Refresh

Sudesh

To show how to reset the ecu fault codes stored on early models [round obd plug] I have made up my own simple adapter and pics as always

I made my adapter with a heat shrink connector , and 3 strands of solder wire, any wire could be used but the I just solder wire as its easy shaped when setting into the OBD pins.

Heat shrink connector and solder wire

SAM_0063_zps44018a38.jpg

Cut 3 strands of wire

SAM_0065_zps76f4b5b0.jpg

Insert into the connector

SAM_0066_zps110be418.jpg

Crimp

SAM_0067_zps3f99f394.jpg

SAM_0068_zps91901dfa.jpg

Now carefully heat the end to make it all nice and secure, not really needed but I did it anyway.

SAM_0070_zps610a7a69.jpg

SAM_0069_zpsec094221.jpg

And here is the finished product

SAM_0071_zps6d19310c.jpg

SAM_0072_zpsac700b6e.jpg

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to access the OBD socket, we need to remove the rear glove box, on RHD cars its behind the driver, I guess LHD cars is behind the passenegr

Lift the carpet back to reveal 2 screws, remove them and the glove box lift straight up first, then out

SAM_0062_zpsf315072e.jpg

SAM_0061_zpsf19d8ce6.jpg

The OBD socket has a black circular cap that screws off

SAM_0060_zpsc3c3157b.jpg

Once off you will see the OBD socket pins, the pins are marked on 2 sides only, but you can count the pins across to the next number to find the pins you need

This is how the sequence goes on my car, but please look closely at your own socket and follow the pin pattern.

"VERY IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE THE IGNITION IS OFF" Locate pins 7.9.13 and insert the OBD jumper connector

SAM_0056_zps2a3663ce.jpg

SAM_0055_zpsa9279805.jpg

SAM_0054_zps007df6f1.jpg

SAM_0058_zpsac3ab576.jpg

When the jumper connect is inserted in the "CORRECT" pins, please DOUBLE check and TRIPLE check they are in fact in the CORRECT pins, inserting into the wrong pins could cause an ECU

malfunction, so please be EXTREMELY careful, "YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK"

When you are 100% sure you are in the correct pins, switch the ignition to the ON position, [all light on dash but, dont start car] leave for 10 seconds then switch ignition off, leave for 10 seconds then remove the jumper connector and put the cap back on the OBD socket.

ECU is now rest and codes cleared.

As always, install your glove box in reverse.

Another job for me over winter will be removing that rusty panel the OBD socket is in, and having it sanded down and painted, or I may make a new.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sudesh

Great thread! I’ve got a 99 SV now but had an early Diablo before which I loved. My SV is as new but we did quite a lot to my '93 Diablo and I hope can help with some info.

For the struts I sent of the existing ones to gas strut engineering in Bedford and they made some to the same spec but to a higher pressure with a bleed off valve so you can adjust the pressure as the standard ones can be a little weak. The Murcielago ones can be used apparently but I was told the pressure is a bit too high.

For the wheels obviously Mike can split these but I got mine refurbed at www.thepolisher.com who did a great job but I guess you are doing yourself?

For the fogs have you considered removing and replacing with mesh it gives it quite a fresh look.

For your info we also sourced some bits from http://www.paralleldesigns.co.uk/ as they have made some pattern parts i.e. front indicators.

RE the wheel decals this maybe a longshot but I believe Carlo at Topgear cars had a few spares. He won’t sell them but maybe willing to lend one so that it can be copied. If you do get anywhere with this any chance you could let me know and I will add a few to the order! My SV still has them but they would be useful for the future and the ones I got from ebay were no good at all!

By the way I lovely car you have there I was tempted by it myself before I bought the SV! Sounded awesome are you keeping the straight through set up?

Cheers

sparks

Hi Sudesh

Great thread! I’ve got a 99 SV now but had an early Diablo before which I loved. My SV is as new but we did quite a lot to my '93 Diablo and I hope can help with some info.

For the struts I sent of the existing ones to gas strut engineering in Bedford and they made some to the same spec but to a higher pressure with a bleed off valve so you can adjust the pressure as the standard ones can be a little weak. The Murcielago ones can be used apparently but I was told the pressure is a bit too high.

For the wheels obviously Mike can split these but I got mine refurbed at www.thepolisher.com who did a great job but I guess you are doing yourself?

For the fogs have you considered removing and replacing with mesh it gives it quite a fresh look.

For your info we also sourced some bits from http://www.paralleldesigns.co.uk/ as they have made some pattern parts i.e. front indicators.

RE the wheel decals this maybe a longshot but I believe Carlo at Topgear cars had a few spares. He won’t sell them but maybe willing to lend one so that it can be copied. If you do get anywhere with this any chance you could let me know and I will add a few to the order! My SV still has them but they would be useful for the future and the ones I got from ebay were no good at all!

By the way I lovely car you have there I was tempted by it myself before I bought the SV! Sounded awesome are you keeping the straight through set up?

Cheers

sparks

Hi Sparks,

Thanks for the reply and welcome to the club!

That's sounds like a nice setup on the gas struts, mine are ok at the moment, but I like to order parts and keep them on the shelf for refresh work down the line. I will give those guys a call and progress from there as I really like the idea of the valve system. Thanks for the tip.

As for my wheels, the polished parts are virtually brand new, the rears ARE new from memory; Mike upgraded the rears to the wider/deeper dish versions and I really do like them, the only thing I was thinking of doing over winter was having the centers painted, they are fine at the moment and paint isnt damaged or flaked, but would just like to frehen them up. However I still want the SE30 ones. I can get 2 brand new front SE30 wheels ok, but can't find rears, and I know of one gentleman in the UK, that has a full set of SE30 wheels sitting spare, but not sure if he will sell.

The fogs I have sorted for now, Im happy enough with the 4 new ones I installed, I have though about the mesh idea you mentioned, seen a few Diablos like that.

Didn't parallel designs go bust? And no longer in operation? I would like a set of SE30 side skirts, not sure if they did those? Would nearly consider having my guys make them up.

Good call reference Carlo, haven't ever spoke to them, but I know they have a very good reputation, I doubt they know me, so maybe difficult to get even 1 decal lol, I could ask Mike to help though, he knows Carlo well. If I can get one and have them produced, your very welcome to as many as you need.

Yeah Im keeping the exhaust as it is, its not completely straight through, still running the cats.

I have just received some nice new bits from Lamborghini, so more refresh work to come! I also have the exterior door handles being made in CF at the moment too, then Im doing the door sill plates in CF, just bought some brand new ones from Lamborghini to take moulds from. After that Im going to look into possibly doing the door panels and centre console and loads of other bits.

What color is your SV? Any pics?

Please do keep us informed as to the struts. I would like to replace my 99 SV struts with ones that have just a bit more pressure but not too much.

Hi Sudesh

Sorry for the hijack but here are pics of mine!

93Frontmod.jpg

DIABLOAF_20_17_mod.jpg

SVfrontmod.jpg

SVfrontsidemod.jpg

Shame if Parallel went as he was always very helpful.

I think SE30 wheels and side skirts would set your car off perfectly although the extra wide rears looked good. Let us know how you get on!

Cheers

Sparks

All the bits arrived today for my new washer tank to be installed. Was a bit of a long wait as the parts diagram shows that, when you order the tank, it comes complete, however this was not the case. The tank basically comes as a bare carcass, only thing it came with was the lid; the pumps, grommets, washers and internal filter bolt are all separate, and not even listed on the parts diagram. It was thanks to Paulo at Lamborghini London, that I managed to get everything I needed to install the new setup, Paulo spoke to the factory and they gathered up the rest of the bits and sent them out.

The old tank as mentioned previously was in a bad state, leaking and the old pump was badly installed using silicone, plus the cap was also damaged.

Old tank under the hood

SAM_0088_zps910d72c1.jpg

Its just a slide in and out of a bracket,

SAM_0090_zps1842e9c1.jpg

SAM_0092_zps9c6a80e6.jpg

Remove the electerical connectors to the pumps and the connector to the low level warning float

SAM_0094_zps59c1c34e.jpg

SAM_0095_zps12e903e9.jpg

SAM_0096_zpsb8b3ab7a.jpg

SAM_0097_zpsca1efaad.jpg

The pipes need to be disconnected too, Make sure to drain your old tank

SAM_0098_zps2d4ee789.jpg

Old vs NEW

SAM_0099_zps6deb3272.jpg

Old one has Lamborghini script embossed, but new one doesnt???

SAM_0100_zps81bce31a.jpg

SAM_0101_zps2013d026.jpg

This is the damaged cap on my old tank

SAM_0102_zps381861c7.jpg

old pump and the missing pump, I had to plug the other hole up as it was badly leaking from the old damaged pump that used to be there

SAM_0103_zps61dad16c.jpg

Im going to re-use the low level warning float, it just twists and pulls straight up

SAM_0106_zps6b2daf85.jpg

SAM_0107_zps7cb291a0.jpg

Remove the rubber seal

SAM_0108_zps55c27ce3.jpg

SAM_0109_zps6fe9fe7b.jpg

SAM_0110_zps81e8617a.jpg

As Im fitting a complete new setup, I didnt need to do this part, but worth seeing if someone ever need to install a new pump.

To remove the old pumps correctly, you just turn anti-clockwise,

SAM_0111_zpseb64d398.jpg

SAM_0112_zps9cf20254.jpg

Inside the bottle the filter bolt and white washer will come free and you can tip it out the spout.

SAM_0113_zps94f98e77.jpg

If you have a poor water stream coming out, it could be because this filter gets clogged, this one had some build up

SAM_0114_zps422b5498.jpg

SAM_0115_zps69e52a69.jpg

Pump and filter together

SAM_0116_zps7b107750.jpg

Here is an internal view to show how it works, basically the pump goes through the hole

SAM_0122_zpsa36cf545.jpg

And filter bolt screws on to to make it all secure

SAM_0124_zpscf0d4c50.jpg

Now the install of the new items

To do this I needed to setup a long reach bar and angled socket end

SAM_0125_zps92be9f75.jpg

SAM_0126_zps6f49044d.jpg

All new bits

SAM_0187_zps1b1d09a9.jpg

SAM_0188_zpsd9fac02e.jpg

the washer comes separate from the bolt, so you must add a tiny bit of glue to stick the 2 together

SAM_0189_zps6a0c1099.jpg

SAM_0190_zps205abeed.jpg

insert the new rubber seals

SAM_0191_zps259dbd64.jpg

SAM_0192_zps8cd98713.jpg

set the filter bolt into the long reach tool

SAM_0193_zpsa5d94e00.jpg

and basically you need to hold the tank while guiding the filter bolt to the hole where the pump comes through

SAM_0194_zps0f64ce58.jpg

SAM_0196_zps357ffd09.jpg

bolt in place

SAM_0195_zps4cfc0670.jpg

while holding the bolt steady in place, take the pump and screw it in

SAM_0197_zps762fc7a5.jpg

Now repeat process for the second pump

SAM_0198_zps7e401592.jpg

View inside

SAM_0199_zpsd10bfb93.jpg

And thats basically it! Before putting everything back, put some water in the tank and check for any leaks. Job done

My drivers side [RHD CAR] engine hood cable snapped a few days ago, the cable I guess is the original one and now 20 years old, so I guess was time for renewal, these are the little things that we sometimes forget will need replaced at some point. Thankfully Lamborghini were very smart to put in emergency release backup cables, very handy!!

Although just one side snapped, I believe there is no point in replacing just one cable, so I purchased both side from Laamborghini, they are very cheap anyway.

I didnt take pics of the removal of the passenger side cable, as it split in 2 at a time where I was away from my garage and driving the car, so I removed it at a friends house so the parts werent dangling around in the engine bay. Butit was very straight forward to remove and with these following photos, you will be able to get a good idea on how to do it.

First remove the handle

SAM_0146_zpsa4fced15.jpg

Small allen key bolt holds it in place

SAM_0149_zps67b6eda8.jpg

Ive pulled the handle forward and flipped it, here you can see the 2 cable heads attached to the little slider pin that keeps them in place, you can see the one has even snapped at the handle.

SAM_0152_zpsf930617e.jpg

One of the new cables, comes in black now instead of grey

SAM_0130_zps3245e640.jpg

To remove the old cables, we need to remove the latch in the engine compartment

SAM_0154_zpsff38441e.jpg

2 allan key bolts and pull the latch out, this is just a little loop in type catch, so its slides out easily

SAM_0155_zps39fec81f.jpg

Completely removed

SAM_0156_zps88804e46.jpg

Now inside the latch holder, you will see a little metal cable retainer, it has either 2 small bolts or screws in it, these basically screw down and hold the steel wire from the release cable in place, the cable slides through a tiny hole at the rear, and the bolt then goes down to hold it in place. We need to remove the bolt that has the damaged cable running into it, the other bolt is holding the emergency release cable, so just leave that alone.

SAM_0160_zpsabd3dea3.jpg

When you remove the bolt the cable can be pulled free from, just slide it out from the adjuster bolt which is here, the adjuster bolt is hollow and allows the metal cable to slide through. If your adjuster bolt looks good, you can keep it, or you can replace this too. I choose to replace mine as its a very cheap part and I prefer to do things like this.

SAM_0160_zps121c24cd.jpg

Old and new adjuster bolts, you will notice the old bolt is slightly different, this one cannot be purchased anymore and now you get the Murci one.

SAM_0206_zps8f8fc0f4.jpg

With the cable free you can start removing it completely, as the cable isnt going to be reused, its better to cut it closest to the firewall, as the cable runs down and in behind a panel here, the car will need to be jacked up, wheel removed and wheel well lining removed.

This is a pic of the new cable in place, Im just using this to highlite where the cables run into

SAM_0178_zps15e1646e.jpg

This is a view from inside the wheel well, and this panel need to be unbolted to gain access to where the cables come through, 2 bolts hold this in place and easy enough accessed

SAM_0175_zps9920e94d.jpg

With this removed, you can pull the old cable straight out from the handle side

Handle and old cable out

SAM_0181_zps238ed261.jpg

Now you can separate the old cable from the handle, just push the pin out

SAM_0183_zps42a402ea.jpg

Complete separated

SAM_0184_zps2b49ebe0.jpg

Im glad I decided to do bot as the other cable was starting to fray

SAM_0185_zpsa95d4d6e.jpg

SAM_0186_zps49de2ba6.jpg

Here comes the tedious fun part lol

We need to slide the new cable through the gap in the door jam, this need to go go right up and as far as possible, then from inside the wing I had to stick my arm WAY down inside, right to the back and behind the wire wall panel, there is a little opening in there where the cable was bunching up

Cable going in

SAM_0169_zpsff9c4c72.jpg

And now the akward bit, me searching for the cable. took a few tries but eventually got hold of it

SAM_0176_zpsa43f6f53.jpg

You can just about see the new cable coming through, and Ive basically pushed it on up behind the silver panel I unbolted

SAM_0173_zps14c4a8a6.jpg

SAM_0168_zpsb0ca21e5.jpg

New cable out! Start feeding it back into the same place where the old one was, it this case, this side runs inside the long silver panel below the glass, then out the other side

SAM_0178_zps15e1646e.jpg

just keep putting the cable back from where you removed it,

SAM_0211_zpse2b8db1f.jpg

Now feed second cable through and basically repeat the same process but obviously the cable will go the other side

SAM_0210_zps9f702ce7.jpg

Now take the handle and feed the cable ends back in , left cable for left side latch, right cable for right side latch

SAM_0204_zpsc57d0f1b.jpg

SAM_0205_zps1bdcd468.jpg

then at the latch side feed the new wire through the adjuster screws,

SAM_0207_zps6be45632.jpg

As I added new adjuster screws I had to obviously bolt them back up, but if you decided to re-use your old ones, its just a case of sliding the cable back in

SAM_0208_zps22908290.jpg

put the wire back into the retainer,

SAM_0209_zps11d1fe59.jpg

and pull the wire as far forward as possible, you should see and hear the release handle pulling forward, set the handle back into its slot and tighten it up

SAM_0146_zpsa4fced15.jpg

Pretty much job done, refit the catch and if you need too, make your adjustments at the adjuster screws until you feel the handle is nice and tight, and the catch is releasing nicely.

My 93 car didnt come with the throttle body covers, and I quite like the look, so decided to purchase the setup and see if they fit.

Pretty much straight forward and I just had to make 1 modification.

SAM_0212_zpsb63f4560.jpg

First remove the 2 top bolts

SAM_0213_zpsaab106d9.jpg

fit the brackets

SAM_0214_zpsec394cbd.jpg

Covers fitted

SAM_0014_zpsa1171985.jpg

I made 1 modification here, as this pipe was too near the cover and being bent slightly, I drilled out a hole and feed the pipe through, alls good now!

SAM_0002_zps4be85e5a.jpg

I purchased the rear SV/Roadster lower grill and upper brackets

SAM_0003_zps29095641.jpg

Here are the bolt locations

SAM_0003_zpscf239b8a.jpg

Up behind the bumper where it meets the frame, there were 3 bolts, one to the left just above that exhaust pipe, one in the middle and one to the right above the other exhaust pipe

SAM_0005_zps73ecd026.jpg

SAM_0006_zpsb3dcb045.jpg

Take the 2 brackets [number 1 and 2 in the pic] and fit them at the bolt above the exhausts, then take the main grill [number 3] and slide it up to the center bolt, its all pretty much self explanatory when you look at the line of the bumper and the grill. The grill also bolts to the exhaust brackets with 4 screws

SAM_0008_zpsac3d3254.jpg

Now on my bumper, there were 2 holes at the side that matched up perfect, with the holes on the grill, so I just added my own nuts/bolts/washers here

SAM_0008_zps3c7719d51_zps29ee4b51.jpg

As this particular grill wasnt designed for early cars, there are 2 lower bolt holes that have nothing to attach too

SAM_0010_zps0d31809b.jpg

SAM_0009_zpsc5773013.jpg

I havent done anything with these lower lower mounting holes yet, as the grill is so strong and firmly secured, I dont really need to use them, but I might weld some special nuts on there which means I can screw up to them. But overall Im very pleased with the result.

SAM_0013_zps75c48972.jpg

I can't wait for you to find a solution to the inaccurate fuel level gauge/sensor.

Hi,

I haven't had this issue myself yet, when I initially purchased the car, I though it did have it, but after filling it up a few times, the ague seem to be fairly accurate, although I don't let it get too low.

I have read about it being a common problem though, and heard its a bit of a nusence job too, possibly a tank out service??

Hi,

I haven't had this issue myself yet, when I initially purchased the car, I though it did have it, but after filling it up a few times, the ague seem to be fairly accurate, although I don't let it get too low.

I have read about it being a common problem though, and heard its a bit of a nusence job too, possibly a tank out service??

While I was in there, I decided to fit a new high capacity battery. The one in my car was only 600cca, so I found 780cca battery with 5 year warranty. The initial turnover of the car is noticable and Im very pleased I don't this sooner than later.

DSC_0215_zps92a00cdb.jpg

Hi,

http://www.another board/vbforum/f4...el-level-23789/

Hi,

An interesting read, and sounds [to me] like a straight forward enough job to replace the fuel/sensor that goes inside the tank, certainly on early cars anyway. But allot of various answer and solutions. Easiest is defiantly checking for corrosion, cleaning down any build up and even running a new ground wire. I could do a write up and photos on how to do this no problem if anyone needed it.

My gauge reads fairly ok, only time I see inaccurate reading is possibly on a down/up hill surface, also if cornering quite hard, the gauge will move but comes back again ok to a good reading, this would indicate the flot is moving a bit too much.

Im not sure of a cost of new float/sensor over here, but if its not too expensive I would be willing to purchase a new one and show how to install, then see how the gauge reads.

Finding a better aftermarket sensor that fits the tank, without modifications, could be simple enough, there are many universal senders, would just be a case of searching around for something that's a good fit, right depth and running the tests.

Couldnt resist lol, so had a look at where the sender unit is, just under the coolant tank.

It would seem that my car has had the earth bypass already installed, but Im not liking the build up of surface rust at this location, so Ill be cleaning that down

SAM_0017_zps37685121.jpg

This is the OEM earth wire from the wiring loom

SAM_0016_zps45f08105.jpg

Fuel sensor look like a standard enough 5 bolt setup, I remove the farthest plug as I could see some oxidization on the pin, This will need cleaned down to fresh metal again

SAM_0022_zpsf9228442.jpg

SAM_0019_zps6a0d34cc.jpg

SAM_0023_zps085ccad9.jpg

Other end of the aftermarket earth wire

SAM_0026_zpsde77f13c.jpg

I think Ill remove the other plug you can see in the pic, and check for oxidization on there too, Ill give all the surfaces a rub down and add some dielectric grease.

If anyone has an old sender unit, would it be possible to take some pics and measure the head size and bolt distance between each other?? I will shop around for a universal type and do some testing of different units, maybe get lucky and find a great alternative for owners.

Thanks

I'll be waiting with baited breath on this. I have a new sender unit installed and the problem is exactly the same as with the old one. Tested the gauge and it's working fine. The problem is not there.

I'll take photos of my old sender unit in the morning.

I'll be waiting with baited breath on this. I have a new sender unit installed and the problem is exactly the same as with the old one. Tested the gauge and it's working fine. The problem is not there.

So maybe the sender units are just poor at doing the job right?

What symptoms is your setup showing? Just very inaccurate readings?

Yes please send some pics of the one you removed, is it possible for you to take measurements of the sender? Diameter of the head and length of the stem etc?

Sorry forgot to ask, could you also check the bottom of the sender, does it have 2 holes?