Can HOA force cars to be moved out of a condo parking garage?

sprite

Apparently my building is planning to do some sort of maintenance on garage floor. They have sent a letter out apparently that all cars need to be moved by next week (1 week notice) or they will be towed and impounded. I'm not even in the country so I cannot move my cars. They are not providing any alternative parking either. Are they legally allowed to do this? The parking spots themselves are numbered and deeded with the condos.

Edit: They gave notice today and says all cars needs to be moved by 8am on Monday. So 3 days notice.. wtf.

AFAIK-They have carte blanche to do almost anything they want....

That is very F-ed up though.

Is there anyone local that has access to your keys?

Is there a local shop that works on your cars that can go get them? Get them out of there because they will tow them.

If you read the bylaws (mine are ~80 pages) they forced you to buy when you bought the property, i'm sure it expressly gives them the right to do that for repairs/maintenance.

Have I ever mentioned how much I fcuking HATE HOAs! Usually run by a group of grumpy old fucks with nothing better to do and trying to exert the only bit of power they have left in their lives.

:tyson:

Have I ever mentioned how much I fcuking HATE HOAs!

Me too. I bailed out on HOA managed communities and will never go back.

In this case, you're probably screwed. Hopefully you know someone that can move your cars for you. Otherwise just chalk up the towing fees to "HOA Bonus Dues" for August.

fcuk that, call AAA and have them tow the car to a storage facility, or call a detailer and have them give it a once over while you're gone.

Turns out my spots are not amongst the ones affected, so dodged a bullet on that one. Seems bullshit that they would give such short notice though.

Turns out my spots are not amongst the ones affected, so dodged a bullet on that one. Seems bullshit that they would give such short notice though.

Why did they give you notice at all if your spots werent affected?

Why did they give you notice at all if your spots werent affected?

They didn't. The notices were delivered on paper only under the door. My friend is parked nearby my spots and several other nearby spots got the notice as well, so he assumed I had gotten one as well. I had no way to know since I'm not there. In any case I called the concierge and he had a list of affected spots and mine weren't on it.