Jay Leno drives the 918 Spyder

q8ylambo

I went for a ride in the 918 earlier in the day from when Jay filmed this. He touched upon all the most salient points--especially about the technology--it is truly incredible. Of course, so was the price. The paint spec alone was a $63,000 option (it's called "liquid metal"). With the Weissach pkg and all the CF interior bits the sticker approached $1.2M. It is a work of art though and extremely fast. I recorded (on my iphone) a pull we did to 130mph and it felt just like a twin turbo Lambo car--only with less drama.The official 'ring time is under 7 min and they will announce it at the Frankfurt Auto show. In the end, as impressive as the car is, I feel its capabilities far outweigh what can been used in US roads. Similar to what I experienced in my Aventador (and most new super cars), the act of gaining speed has become so effortless that its missing that "gut feedback" you get from driving more "analog" cars. Thus, like I did from moving to the SV from the Aventador, I just took a step backwards and bought a Red Carrera GT from Roy. I think it's overall more rewarding to driving on the street and has a wonderful soundtrack all it's own.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is nice but I still like the Carrera GT more, I would love to be able to have one here but unfortunately that will never happen :(

it looks magnificent.

would still prefer it with just the petrol engine and save the 400+kg of electric weight though.

Sounds great! I am not a fan of the current hybrid technology being used in hypercars.

It would be more appealing to me with less weight (take out the battteries) and more NA power - and a V10 like the CGT.

Amazing....finally Porsche built a car that looks and sounds awesome.....

So the 917, 911 GT1, Carrera GT, etc. didn't make the cut, but this did? I feel compelled to change your mind.

The 918 v8 might have the flat 6 in the GT1 beat, but I still prefer the sound of the flat 12 in the 917 and the v10 in the CGT. Amazing car none the less.

918 looks great and congrats to leadfoot on the cgt. Terrific choice there!

Thanks! Can't wait until it gets here--but it's coming coast to coast so it will be a little over a week. Its heading straight to the dealer for a service and the AWE straight pipes are already waiting there for it! Interestingly, it turns out this GT was the 7th from the last built (#1264/1270) and the last one imported into the US according to Porsche NA. Really looking forward to driving it.

918 looks great and congrats to leadfoot on the cgt. Terrific choice there!

Yes! Congrats! The CGT along with your SV means you have two of the top end of the old school era cars. The best of the best!

Are there paddles on the steering wheel im not seeing?

They're there. They are black though which makes them hard to see, and they are small like on the Audis.

I think it's badass! And even though I'm not a huge fan of the hybrid part of it, I have to say.... I'm very impressed that their saying its faster then the CGT.