Carter motor questions... again

Allan-Herbie

So Ive had the issue with the carter motor deciding to press the throttle while driving the car for me. I did what was suggested and and swapped the ECU's... Well, while letting it idle in the garage it did on me again, so back to square one.. Any ideas on what I should replace? The carter motor or the control unit? or both?

What would happen if you removed the whole thing. The Carter motor, control unit, everything associated with it???

Not saying its a viable solution, but just curious.

What would happen if you removed the whole thing. The Carter motor, control unit, everything associated with it???

Not saying its a viable solution, but just curious.

think i'm right, in saying, he would have to use the throttle at startup to start the car and keep it running until it got warm.

I suspect mine has gone bad, and that's exactly what I need to do, for the first minute or so.

Im leaning towards the control unit.. If the car work fine while in warm up, the idle goes down.. I would think it would need the control unit to send it a signal to extend. Am I wrong to assume the actual motor just wouldnt decide to extend itself?

Im leaning towards the control unit.. If the car work fine while in warm up, the idle goes down.. I would think it would need the control unit to send it a signal to extend. Am I wrong to assume the actual motor just wouldnt decide to extend itself?

Sudesh has fitted some 1/4 turn valves to his air box pipes to trick the Carter valve into not operating at startup - could there be an issue with air flow when warm ?

or the control box fails when warmed up ?

Agree, I would replace the control unit.

The carter motor issue is common and one of the flaws that cannot be cured properly and permanently.....unless you install a Motec system to control the idle and a number of other things.

It's a modern upgrade that makes the car more tunable and even more reliable.

The carter motor issue is common and one of the flaws that cannot be cured properly and permanently.....unless you install a Motec system to control the idle and a number of other things.

It's a modern upgrade that makes the car more tunable and even more reliable.

Surely now....Lets don't trash the whole system.

Surely now....Lets don't trash the whole system.

There is nothing wrong at all with the whole system. Far be it from me to ever be critical of Lamborghini.

Perhaps you did not receive my communication as I intended. Or I expressed myself poorly.

My point solely is that if a Diablo owner wants to cure the carter motor issues permanently look into ways to remove the carter motor and have another system look after the job the carter motor does. The system can piggy back the original system and there may be no need to do any more.

In addition with the cost and availability concerns of original parts within the system there are alternatives that could be considered as logical but sympathetic upgrades to keep the cars reliable and ensure they are kept on the road in years to come.

Well my first two Diablos never had a carter motor issue.. and Ive had this one for over 2 years now.. Does anyone have a pic or part number for the carter control unit?

Well my first two Diablos never had a carter motor issue.. and Ive had this one for over 2 years now.. Does anyone have a pic or part number for the carter control unit?

I have a picture somewhere and will try to find it. ,If I am thinking of the correct piece, it is a tan colored box that is 4"x2"x1" that is mounted behind the panel behind the passenger seat. It does not have screws and is held in place with a clip. Takes 5 minutes to remove.

I have a picture somewhere and will try to find it. ,If I am thinking of the correct piece, it is a tan colored box that is 4"x2"x1" that is mounted behind the panel behind the passenger seat. It does not have screws and is held in place with a clip. Takes 5 minutes to remove.

That would be great!

The picture I have only shows the bottom with a part number (1637825) ... not much to see. Here is a diagram of the location of the control unit (item labeled 7). If you need an actual picture, let me know and I will take a picture.

D60-160400.jpg

The picture I have only shows the bottom with a part number (1637825) ... not much to see. Here is a diagram of the location of the control unit (item labeled 7). If you need an actual picture, let me know and I will take a picture.

D60-160400.jpg

Perfect! Thanks!

Im looking for this piece and I cant seem to find it on my car? Am I looking in the wrong place? Tried to take some pics... Any suggestions?

get_attachment__4_.jpg

get_attachment__5_.jpg

get_attachment__6_.jpg

get_attachment__7_.jpg

get_attachment__8_.jpg

get_attachment__9_.jpg

My mistake ... I posted a schematic for the diablo 6.0 which apparently is different than all the rest of the diablo MYs. Here is the diagram for 99 SV:

082_16_04_01.gif

My mistake ... I posted a schematic for the diablo 6.0 which apparently is different than all the rest of the diablo MYs. Here is the diagram for 99 SV:

082_16_04_01.gif

Mine is a 98? I don't see any sort of a box in there?

Mine is a 98? I don't see any sort of a box in there?

The 98 schematic looks the same as the 99. I wonder if the control unit is underneath item 3 in my previous post. The control unit in the 6.0 is on the passenger side. Could it be all other years are on the driver side?

I checked the part number and it appears to be the same for all MY diablos.