Apple vs. Android

BLK85

First I want to say Im not a guy that needs the latest and greatest phone. Im more interested in longevity and battery life.

I think the hardware is basically the same quality between most phones on the market. Im more talking about the software. Since I dumped Blackberry I have been an Android guy. It seems the phones just quit working close to the two year mark. My current one has been on the downward spiral for awhile now(Ive had it for about two years). Seems like everything doesnt want to work right and I get Force Closes all the time.

The reason why from what I understand this is, is because the app makers for Android have 100s of phones to make apps work with. And after the phone is a year old most developers simply quit supporting them. With Apple there is maybe 50 different devices and support normally lasts longer, thus making the phones work better.

I know there are a few developers here so I would think you guys would be the best to answer this question. Am I off base in my thinking? Would an iPhone theoretically work better for longer than an Android equipped phone? Thinking about making the jump to an iPhone.

Apple has always believed the user is retarded and cannot be trusted with much and that you simply cannot be an admin on your own device without very convoluted hacks and workarounds. It is the Prius of smartphones, a safe choice.

If you are not a moron, the droid is a better device with a plethora of options for power users. The "100s" of phones are hardware variations and the app is tied to the operating system. I have apps that have been around since 2.x on my 4.3 device. Android is like a BRZ, out of the box more powerful, and if you get under the hood, you can do great things.

Be a rebel, go Palm, I have a few Treos and Kyoceras kicking around.

READ THIS: http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/03/technology...ndroid-windows/

Apple has always believed the user is retarded and cannot be trusted with much and that you simply cannot be an admin on your own device without very convoluted hacks and workarounds. It is the Prius of smartphones, a safe choice.

If you are not a moron, the droid is a better device with a plethora of options for power users. The "100s" of phones are hardware variations and the app is tied to the operating system. I have apps that have been around since 2.x on my 4.3 device. Android is like a BRZ, out of the box more powerful, and if you get under the hood, you can do great things.

Be a rebel, go Palm, I have a few Treos and Kyoceras kicking around.

READ THIS: http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/03/technology...ndroid-windows/

On your first topic most Android phones get tweaked by the providers too(ATT or Verizon).

Second. I have done the Rooting/modifying my Androids before. Its not something I want to spend my time on now. I want an out of the box phone that will work for 2+ years.

The rest is just trolling, although I suspect your whole post is since you really didnt address my concerns.

Apple definitely supports their phones for a long time. The iPhone 4 which has been out since 2010 will not be getting the newest iOS 8 which will be available in the fall. However, it has iOS 7 which will still be supported by Apple as well as App developers.

As far as hardware goes, my iPhone 5 (which I got the day it was released) has held up very well especially with the Lifeproof Nuud case. The case which doesn't have a screen protector allows the phone to be waterproof.

Also, my Macbook Pro and my Windows desk top work flawlessly when move and back up stuff from my phone. (It works better with my Mac, but still functions just fine with the Windows machine.)

Also, my Macbook Pro and my Windows desk top work flawlessly when move and back up stuff from my phone. (It works better with my Mac, but still functions just fine with the Windows machine.)

Saw this and figured I should add. Im a Windows user. I had an iPod back in about 2006 and I hated the integration between Apple and Windows, so that is why Ive been so against Apple. But Im ready to give it a chance.

In my opinion, Apple has a better experience if you own a Mac and an iPad. Everything just transitions so well into each other and that is only getting better with the continuity feature coming in iOS8. I've been with Apple for a long time and have loved it!

Saw this and figured I should add. Im a Windows user. I had an iPod back in about 2006 and I hated the integration between Apple and Windows, so that is why Ive been so against Apple. But Im ready to give it a chance.

I agree, I hated my iPod back in the day when I had to change anything on it using my Windows computer. It is actually easier for me to back up pictures and videos to my Windows 7 machine because I can view the iPhone as a drive and copy and paste the videos/photos without having to use iTunes. (I sync my iPhone using my Mac because that is where most of my music is)

Sorry I did not answer, because I thought you were trolling/baiting yourself. I am a developer for apps (Yahoo, NFL, Redbull, Walmart, P90X) so let's work through this.

Use what YOU feel comfortable with, but a lot of your points are just plain wrong and I can see how you were lead to those conclusions.

longevity and battery life.
Longevity of hardware is based on manufacturing processes of manufacturers. I have some old, really solid Motorola devices and some HTC's that are falling apart. The battery life argument is bad bad bad. I have a powertune app for my primary android device that outlasts my iPhones. ALSO, I can buy a cheap battery a ton of places and replace it myself, or buy a bigger capacity one. You have to replace your iPhone battery at an apple store for up to 3x the cost of an OEM android battery and you need a tech to do it.

phones just quit working close to the two year mark.
could be a cheap phone, could be usage, could just need maintenance, but all circuits degrade over time. I am not you, I don't have your phone, and I can't really testify why this is the case, but luckily, you have a dozen manufacturers to choose from.

app makers for Android have 100s of....
Common misconception. Don't fall for it because legacy app support has fuckall to do with apple or android and their quality control.

I know there are a few developers here

Let me tell you what I did tonight with out of the box apps that did not require a root or any special skills:

Tonight on my Galaxy S4, I turned on my Samsung TV, opened Netflix and searched for a movie using the keyboard, added new shows to my DirecTV Genie schedule, took a photo that was synched to my Alienware laptop, custom built desktop, and immediately integrated in to my gmail. My browser session went back and forth between the desktop and the phone. I said "Hi Galaxy" and sent a text, got directions around a traffic jam on Waze, and listened to spotify via bluetooth. It sounds like a lot, but it all was smooth.

As for integration myths if my night listed above has not been enough, read that CNN article. They are trying to convince us that these new features are new or industry leading, but that is not the case. Remember the three other products iCloud was (and failed at) before people bought in to it? .mac iTools MobileMe? Well all the stuff they are talking about have been around for years in other forms on other platforms.

5af32d4f191a61d96991690dfeacad22-dropmic

I've been using iPhones since they came out, they last but I don't, I always want the latest and the greatest, I know, I know, I am falling for their BS :icon_mrgreen:

The only issue i have with the iPhone is batterie life, it absolutely sucks, other than that no notable issues.

I've been using iPhones since they came out, they last but I don't, I always want the latest and the greatest, I know, I know, I am falling for their BS :icon_mrgreen:

The only issue i have with the iPhone is batterie life, it absolutely sucks, other than that no notable issues.

LOL

You must be refreshing LP 24/7 for bad battery life, my iPhone is the best battery life I've had in a cell phone!

I was always an Apple hater, but I think the software AND hardware is superior. Everything works better. Go Apple. They are better engineered.

I will say I really love the pure Google Android phones click here if unfamiliar . That is the only droid I would buy.

Google is awesome just because of the tools. Google Now, Chrome, voice typing, it all works better with Android. Granted, I went the Apple route after constant issues with Android. The new OS and pure Nexus devices have solved the issues IMO.

And yes, the way the apps are written and how its only on iphone allows the developers to bring a great experience to iphone users. Apps on my droid were always crashing, lagging, etc. Doesnt happen to often with apple. And I'll usually get app features with apple I cant get with droid.

As for integration myths if my night listed above has not been enough, read that CNN article. They are trying to convince us that these new features are new or industry leading, but that is not the case. Remember the three other products iCloud was (and failed at) before people bought in to it? .mac iTools MobileMe? Well all the stuff they are talking about have been around for years in other forms on other platforms.

Agreed.

I would even say that Apple is "easier to use" is a myth now. Honestly, my 65 year old mother thought Windows Phone 8 was easier to learn/use than iOS, and modern Android is incredibly easy. And for a power user who really wants to make his device exactly how he wants, Apple iOS is absolute trash compared to Android. The reality is that Apple is still the master of marketing. They've convinced people that what Apple gives them is all that the user wants and needs.

The one big edge that Apple has is that its software runs only on its hardware. Apple doesn't have to account for a dozen different SoC, screen resolutions, batteries, etc... thus they can really optimize their OS for the hardware and vice versa. This extends to the apps as well. Android can't do this, but it is making big strides in efficiency and compatibility and there really aren't many issues anymore. It's actually pretty damn impressive that Android performs so well on so many different devices.

I find that Apple developed software, aside from iOS, is usually garbage. Google is great at getting stuff to work well. It's the difference between having a company run by creative people vs a company run by engineers. One is designed from the outside in and will look and feel great, the other is built from the inside out and will work great. Google Maps/Nav, Google Drive/Docs, Google Now, Google Translate, Chromecast, etc.... as far as I am concerned, are so much better than any Apple counterpart at just getting the task done well.

Last point, and I don't know if I'm alone on this, but Apple designs are no longer cutting edge. Honestly, the new iPhones and iPads look dated the day they came out. Then I see most people take an ugly iPhone and put it in an even uglier case that makes the whole thing massive, completely negating the "thin" and "clever" design that Apple seems to think they produce. It really seems that for the majority of people, the iPhone ends up nothing more than a thick and heavy social media device.

I think iOS apps are generally more stable. There are only a handful of iOS 7 devices (and like 95% of my app users are on iOS 7, the ones stilll on iOS 6 are not the type of person that buys apps anyways), so that's all I support now. That means I can test on every device I will be deploying too. If I release something on Android I test on newest generation devices and a few older ones and different screen combos, but there is no way I can test all screen sizes/cpu/memory combos so for some devices the apps will crash and it's often hard to fix as I would have to go out and buy the device that is experiencing a crash to reproduce the issue.

This can get as heated as Lambo vs. Ferrari. Be careful :)

Probably more heated than that discussion. :lol2:

Am I off base in my thinking? Would an iPhone theoretically work better for longer than an Android equipped phone? Thinking about making the jump to an iPhone.

To answer your question I think all phones benefit from a factory reset from time to time to get rid of a troublemaker app, regardless of OS or manufacturer. iOS to my knowledge only runs one app at a time (except for system apps) so that might mitigate a nagging app. I think all the processors on these phones, seem to get twice as fast as with each generation, so they all seem to not last that long.

Tell me about it, I shared my thoughts in another thread about iphones vs android, and people took any statements against apple products as trolling and I was threatened to be banned. I decided we weren't as open minded as we claimed to be. Be careful what you say here.

Probably more heated than that discussion. :lol2:

+1

So far this does sound like a trolling thread. It's no different than the hundreds already on the internet, with people picking a side and sharing their points. Some true, some half true, arguing it out.

OP, if you want to get an iPhone its your money and $600 bucks is hardly the end of the world for most. Your'e not going to go wrong buying an iPhone over an Android. They're the top two phones out there, you won't know what you're missing (good or bad) till you try it. So go for it, you might like it.

OP, if you want to get an iPhone its your money and $600 bucks is hardly the end of the world for most. Your'e not going to go wrong buying an iPhone over an Android. They're the top two phones out there, you won't know what you're missing (good or bad) till you try it. So go for it, you might like it.

Im honestly not trying to sound like a troll. I really want to know. Like I said I love Android, when it works. But it gets annoying when an app like Facebook force closes on me 10 times a day. Pretty much every app is this way. Open it once, and it freezes then force closes, then you have to re open it again just to get it to open.

I think your line, "you wont know what you are missing(good or bad) til you try it" pretty much sums it up. I still have no idea what Im going to do yet. We are switching to AT &T too, so we are actually going to finish the contract before we change to avoid the cancellation fees. Might just wait to see what is out by the end of summer.

Im honestly not trying to sound like a troll. I really want to know. Like I said I love Android, when it works. But it gets annoying when an app like Facebook force closes on me 10 times a day. Pretty much every app is this way. Open it once, and it freezes then force closes, then you have to re open it again just to get it to open.

I think your line, "you wont know what you are missing(good or bad) til you try it" pretty much sums it up. I still have no idea what Im going to do yet. We are switching to AT &T too, so we are actually going to finish the contract before we change to avoid the cancellation fees. Might just wait to see what is out by the end of summer.

Force closing apps isn't an android vs iPhone thing. Thats not typical based on what I have come across. You might want to look at maybe things that are specific to your device. Maybe an auto update to the app went wrong? Even if you're going to with the iPhone on your next contract, it might make living with the phone you have more bearable till that time.

In my opinion, Apple has a better experience if you own a Mac and an iPad. Everything just transitions so well into each other and that is only getting better with the continuity feature coming in iOS8. I've been with Apple for a long time and have loved it!

the thing that i really like about apple is that they really emphasize simplicity and they thoroughly test their products to make sure it works very well. However this is also a downfall because it takes them longer to get stuff into the market (MMS, Copy Paste for example)...but when it does come out....it works

Yes, iPhones were made for simple/non technological people to use. Android can be a little advanced. The other thing is, back when Jobs was running the show.....it was never about what the people want....its about what Jobs wanted the people to want. if you think about it, he's basically a dictator.

The thing that i hate most about iPhones are the users and ESPECIALLY the fan boys. technically speaking...Androids can do everything the iPhones can....and often time have done it before iPhones....and no one cares. Lets take MMS and Copy Paste for example......2 VERY important features that even stupid phones can do....when iPhone came out and the first android came out....fanboys brushed it off as if they didnt care....no copy paste? no big deal....iPhone is God.....and then the next year when Copy Paste finally came out......the fanboys would praise it as if Jobs invented fire. they were literally blown away! and this kind of things happen for other parts of the phone.

At the end of the day...both phones are INCREDIBLE in their own respect. they have equal features and its hard to judge whats better than the other...and in some cases you cant. it basically comes down to your own personal needs.

• 1 month later...

Bought a LG G3! So far I love it!

Bought a LG G3! So far I love it!

I really like it, waiting to hear about the Note 4 and the premium Galaxy that is rumored to come out around black Friday.

Sadly that's so true.

Purchased the iPhone 5S as my 1st ever iOS device and boy did I come to a rude awakening.

HOWEVER besides some issues that Apple has with their iPhone (IE Deleting everything off your phone when you back up, locking it by accident to the point where the phone itself is bricked) if you want something that will be supported by the company (Apple), have good battery life, need a phone as a phone, I suggest picking up the 5S or one of the two iPhone 6's.

If not any of the flagship Android phones will do you just fine.

Maybe

I really like it, waiting to hear about the Note 4 and the premium Galaxy that is rumored to come out around black Friday.

Oh man this phone is awesome. I cant believe I would have ever bought a 5.5" phone. But this phone is only slightly bigger than the S5, which I was pretty much sold on. So why not. A friend is hoping to get a Note 4, I dont like the Note 3 so I would hope its better. Premium Galaxy sounds interesting, Ill be in the market in another year or two now.