The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

:iamwithstupid:

Exactly. Hence why I considered him as trolling. And this isn't the first time. Some of you may recall the ping-pong that Wheels and I went through on WWII war crime with Wheels defending the Japanese. While I am no "expert", those who have been on LP long enough concur that I know something about Japan. Architectural preferences is subjective but guilty of war crime is trialed by a world tribunal with a definitive verdict. Why argue on something like that?

VCR, I wasn't defending the Japanese. I remember two debates, or aspects of a debate, we had on the Japanese, one was about Japanese culture, when I commented about a comedy show from Japan that was posted that it must be something with the Japanese culture, that they take pleasure in seeing people subjected to such things. Fortis was hugely offended and said he had family in Japan and that the Japanese are not like that.

You said that the discussion had quickly turned racist. I responded with saying that criticism of a culture is not the same thing as criticism of an ethnicity (people often confuse the two). For example, criticism of the Irish is not racism against white people. I think I had also said that my comment was based on the fact that because the Japanese tortured so much in WWII and that they find pleasure in comedy where people are taken to extremes, that those could be linked. The other thing discussed was about Japanese foreign policy, where you talked about what you saw as Japan's moving more towards imperialism. I asked how and you said to check out the government of Shinzo Abe.

But I don't remember at any time defending the Japanese government and claiming that it did not commit war crimes in World War II. I have known for years even that Japan in WWII tried to literally wipe out the entire Korean culture and committed its own Holocaust in China, the Rape of Nanking, that in some ways they say was worse than what the Nazis did. I think you might be misremembering something of that debate.

I did the same on defending Wheels on other issues and, at one point, even gave him advice when he PM'ed for it. And we all gave him encouragement and blessings when his mother was ill. To blindly defend one's believe non end based on nothing but stubbornness; however; and going against accomplished individuals and certified professionals in the field repeatedly using the same anecdotal and extreme examples are simply asking for it.

Anyway, rant's over...back on the original intend of the thread.

And I very much appreciate the advice you gave me via PM, and the encouragement and blessings for my mother. I do not think I was defending my architecture points on pure stubbornness, but as said, one can re-read my posts on that if they wish.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wheels, I am replying to your post just once. Feel free to refute how many times you want as by now everyone knows your game and I, for one, will not play it any longer. Sorry that I foiled your plan to get people worked up but it's getting really old...

I know exactly what I wrote on WWII as that is an issue that cannot be joked about, period. You can throw at me whatever knowledge you have on WWII, again nothing new. As to Fortis, I can categorically say that you have absolutely no idea on what he & I know and share about Japan nor will you ever understand it either.

Thanks for the entertainment! :lol2: :lol2:

What do you guys think of this?

http://vancouverhouse.ca/

It hasn't been built at all so the link is a marketing tool if anything else. I'd like to hear the views on its unique appearance.

The idea of maximizing Penthouses is a plus and this top heavy design truly expresses that something different is in store here.

Check this proposal out, where everyone's unit can be the penthouse as the units rotate throughout the building and are hauled up through the center core.

o-SK-570.jpg

o-SHIN-570.jpg

VIEW VIDEO:

rotating apartment

The idea of maximizing Penthouses is a plus and this top heavy design truly expresses that something different is in store here.

Check this proposal out, where everyone's unit can be the penthouse as the units rotate throughout the building and are hauled up through the center core.

o-SK-570.jpg

o-SHIN-570.jpg

VIEW VIDEO:

rotating apartment

I know the building's soundtrack.

Wheels, I am replying to your post just once. Feel free to refute how many times you want as by now everyone knows your game and I, for one, will not play it any longer. Sorry that I foiled your plan to get people worked up but it's getting really old...

I had no plan to get people worked up.

I know exactly what I wrote on WWII as that is an issue that cannot be joked about, period. You can throw at me whatever knowledge you have on WWII, again nothing new. As to Fortis, I can categorically say that you have absolutely no idea on what he & I know and share about Japan nor will you ever understand it either.

Thanks for the entertainment! :lol2: :lol2:

Where did I say I had any extensive knowledge on what you and Fortis know and share about Japan? I said what you and he both SAID was all. I'm going to have to try and find that thread because I could swear I never wrote anything denying Japan committed war crimes in WWII. I think you are misremembering there. From what I remember, I had gotten into trouble for saying that the Japanese culture had an inclination to sadism.

VIEW VIDEO:

rotating apartment

Very interesting. Thank you for the link. I suppose concept-wise, it's somewhat similar to the vertical parking complex where the cars are stacked & "shelved". I do see the challenge with the utilities though. Power & gas seem "simple" enough per se but water would be challenging. And wouldn't it involve some kind of "curfew" on the utilities during the rotation? Revolutionary concept for a residential tower for sure.

VCR, I can now say that you are 100% wrong in your claim that I ever claimed Japan did not commit war crimes. I have found the thread:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...71553&st=60

Note a response I wrote to Fortis here:

Fortis, not saying that Japanese people like torture and sadism as in they'd take pleasure in watching people be skinned alive or something. But during WWII, the Japanese did some of the most cruel and insanely inhumane torture in all the history of warfare (much of which they still refuse to acknowledge). Now part of this was the structure of the Japanese military. Every Japanese soldier treated horribly the soldiers of lower ranks, so the lowest-ranking soldiers then treated civilians horribly as well.

Oh man, just when I thought this thread couldn't get any lower. There has been some fantastic discussion of Architecture, but Wheels I can't help but wonder if you will read it again in the future and have an 'oh shit' moment.

A lot of very knowledgeable and informed members have spent quite a bit of effort to contribute, and most of the points seem to have been miscontrued. "I said, he said" isn't going to help because you missed the point. Example of this would be Fortis' short quiz on determining which would be more expensive, the classical or modern design.

While not all of the buildings shown in this thread will be everyone's cup of tea I think we have to respect them for what they are, and what they are doing - pushing the envelope. What's life without a bit of creativity and doing things just to see if they can be done?!

Oh man, just when I thought this thread couldn't get any lower. There has been some fantastic discussion of Architecture, but Wheels I can't help but wonder if you will read it again in the future and have an 'oh shit' moment.

A lot of very knowledgeable and informed members have spent quite a bit of effort to contribute, and most of the points seem to have been miscontrued. "I said, he said" isn't going to help because you missed the point. Example of this would be Fortis' short quiz on determining which would be more expensive, the classical or modern design.

While not all of the buildings shown in this thread will be everyone's cup of tea I think we have to respect them for what they are, and what they are doing - pushing the envelope. What's life without a bit of creativity and doing things just to see if they can be done?!

Basstones, I got accused by VCR of having claimed that Japan did not commit war crimes in World War II. I'm sorry, but that's not a claim I can let slide. Architecture this and that is one thing, but to be told that you claimed Japan did not commit war crimes in WWII is like saying you are a Holocaust denier. And I know for a fact that I never said as such, and thus had to prove it.

Wheels, the fact that the Japanese were cruel during the war doesn't mean the current generation is, there is no genetic trait that gets inherited you are just assuming because you are simplistically connecting the dots and that's absolutely fine and normal nobody judges you for that, for having an opinion, but when you vehemently defend your position, which really has no basis in current reality and personally have no first hand experience with, with such conviction and discount everything everyone else is saying it is extremely annoying.

As I said there is absolutely no hatred or resentment towards you, IMO everything you know and claim to know is from books, from studying, put that shit aside grab a backpack and get your ass out there, reality is different!

That's what frustrates me about you, you fail to understand how invaluable hands on experience is and how different it can be, I am sure many will agree, take any examples, a mechanic for example, there are mechanics out there who never saw the inside of a class room nor read a lot on the subject but have years of hands on experience, put a motor in front of him and he will pull it apart and put it back together with his eyes closed, on the other hand a fresh out of uni mechanical engineering might struggle with the whole process, both are professionals in their own way both are valuable and bring something to the table, you can not put down experience because he doesn't understand the theory behind it, ultimately the goal is to fix the motor!

My advice to you is, live a little, go out there and experience the physical world, travel (this is very important) because it opens your eyes and puts you out of your comfort zone, listen, listen and listen some more when someone says been there done that, from those guys you can very quickly learn, almost like taking a short cut, remember nobody is 100% correct but nobody can really be 100% wrong, stop generalizing there isn't one blanket which covers all and everything, for every bad apple there are hundreds of thousands of good ones, stop overanalyzing things, over complicating. I don't think you are a bad guy, sometimes I know your intentions aren't to come across as stubborn or as a PITA but you do so try to work on that.

I believe you have potential but you tend to be your own worst enemy, anyway, no hard feelings, carry on!

and to stay on topic, I would love a tucked away rainforest place like this... nothing too overboard, but involved within the surroundings

rainforest-tree-house-mmp-architects-cairns-australia-1.jpg

and to stay on topic, I would love a tucked away rainforest place like this... nothing too overboard, but involved within the surroundings

rainforest-tree-house-mmp-architects-cai

I love that! Pair that with an incredible view and it would make a fantastic weekend retreat.

Something like this:

image.jpg

Wheels, the fact that the Japanese were cruel during the war doesn't mean the current generation is, there is no genetic trait that gets inherited you are just assuming because you are simplistically connecting the dots and that's absolutely fine and normal nobody judges you for that, for having an opinion, but when you vehemently defend your position, which really has no basis in current reality and personally have no first hand experience with, with such conviction and discount everything everyone else is saying it is extremely annoying.

As I said there is absolutely no hatred or resentment towards you, IMO everything you know and claim to know is from books, from studying, put that shit aside grab a backpack and get your ass out there, reality is different!

That's what frustrates me about you, you fail to understand how invaluable hands on experience is and how different it can be, I am sure many will agree, take any examples, a mechanic for example, there are mechanics out there who never saw the inside of a class room nor read a lot on the subject but have years of hands on experience, put a motor in front of him and he will pull it apart and put it back together with his eyes closed, on the other hand a fresh out of uni mechanical engineering might struggle with the whole process, both are professionals in their own way both are valuable and bring something to the table, you can not put down experience because he doesn't understand the theory behind it, ultimately the goal is to fix the motor!

My advice to you is, live a little, go out there and experience the physical world, travel (this is very important) because it opens your eyes and puts you out of your comfort zone, listen, listen and listen some more when someone says been there done that, from those guys you can very quickly learn, almost like taking a short cut, remember nobody is 100% correct but nobody can really be 100% wrong, stop generalizing there isn't one blanket which covers all and everything, for every bad apple there are hundreds of thousands of good ones, stop overanalyzing things, over complicating. I don't think you are a bad guy, sometimes I know your intentions aren't to come across as stubborn or as a PITA but you do so try to work on that.

I believe you have potential but you tend to be your own worst enemy, anyway, no hard feelings, carry on!

Thanks, and yes I know that about the Japanese, my original comment had nothing to do with the Japanese in terms of genetics. But I wasn't trying to re-awaken that debate, just VCR saying that I said Japan didn't do any war crimes in WWII I had to address. And yes I will try to work on stubborn/PITA part.

Thanks, and yes I know that about the Japanese, my original comment had nothing to do with the Japanese in terms of genetics. But I wasn't trying to re-awaken that debate, just VCR saying that I said Japan didn't do any war crimes in WWII I had to address. And yes I will try to work on stubborn/PITA part.

Ok forget about it, stop debating controversial topics participate and enjoy the subjects for what they are, put your two cents in and move along.

This is an architecture thread I am sure you are free to post designs you enjoy, I am sure some will think they are rubbish and give you crap about them some will like them, who cares? That's the beauty of this world we all have different taste.

Very interesting. Thank you for the link. I suppose concept-wise, it's somewhat similar to the vertical parking complex where the cars are stacked & "shelved". I do see the challenge with the utilities though. Power & gas seem "simple" enough per se but water would be challenging. And wouldn't it involve some kind of "curfew" on the utilities during the rotation? Revolutionary concept for a residential tower for sure.

I can understand how they can make moving the units themselves work, but keeping units connected to services while moving through out the building is way above my level of comprehension. I would love to see how they plan to deal with that issue.

I can understand how they can make moving the units themselves work, but keeping units connected to services while moving through out the building is way above my level of comprehension. I would love to see how they plan to deal with that issue.

That would be interesting to see, you don't want to lose water supply while in the shower :icon_mrgreen:

Ha! Yeah the unit would probably be easiest to go dark during the move up, but that only happens every so often. I like the way the elevator knows who you are and drops you off on the floor your unit is currently on. I'm sure after a long night out on the town this would be helpful.

That's what I was referring about the curfew part. Power can probably be solved with a battery within the unit during the rotation (I can imagine Elon Musk getting on board here); likewise for gas (many parts of Asia still rely on portable tanks for full-time cooking). Water would be the challenging part since it involves fresh and gray water. I wonder how difficult the rotation part would be? Mechanically, it wouldn't be too difficult per se as the principle should be similar to the vertical parkade. But a car, comparatively, is substantially lighter and it is not susceptible to vibration. Entire units of living quarters are a new level altogether. Then again we have revolving restaurants for decades now. But rotating one single unit on one level on one axis versus multiple units from several floors on two axes is quite different. I guess the elevators will need to be off during rotation too?

I love that! Pair that with an incredible view and it would make a fantastic weekend retreat.

Something like this:

post-7524-1436823089.jpg

Exactly! We used to have 100 acres in the hinterland, really miss the views. It was the perfect weekend getaway, house was designed and built by my uncle and father as well. Will try and dig up some photos tonight and put them up, might interest some.

Great choice of photo though, I can see my current place on the very right of the shot :P

That's what I was referring about the curfew part. Power can probably be solved with a battery within the unit during the rotation (I can imagine Elon Musk getting on board here); likewise for gas (many parts of Asia still rely on portable tanks for full-time cooking). Water would be the challenging part since it involves fresh and gray water. I wonder how difficult the rotation part would be? Mechanically, it wouldn't be too difficult per se as the principle should be similar to the vertical parkade. But a car, comparatively, is substantially lighter and it is not susceptible to vibration. Entire units of living quarters are a new level altogether. Then again we have revolving restaurants for decades now. But rotating one single unit on one level on one axis versus multiple units from several floors on two axes is quite different. I guess the elevators will need to be off during rotation too?

I have an hour drive home and passed the time trying to think this through. I had the same thought as you regarding power possibly stored for the move using something like the Tesla Powerwall. You could eliminate gas by using electric water heaters, ranges, furnace, etc... Which could still function using battery backup durning moves. That leaves the fresh water and grey as you mentioned, don't forget black because you definitely don't want that leaking on your apartment from the neighbor above as you move around the structure.

I have an hour drive home and passed the time trying to think this through. I had the same thought as you regarding power possibly stored for the move using something like the Tesla Powerwall. You could eliminate gas by using electric water heaters, ranges, furnace, etc... Which could still function using battery backup durning moves. That leaves the fresh water and grey as you mentioned, don't forget black because you definitely don't want that leaking on your apartment from the neighbor above as you move around the structure.

Possible to use temporary tanks for water that then connect to a "dock" once the suite is in place?

Ok forget about it, stop debating controversial topics participate and enjoy the subjects for what they are, put your two cents in and move along.

Sorry Fortis, I need to slip this in to show Wheels (in good faith):

If I were to adopt Wheels' way of reply, I would say the following:

" 'just VCR saying that I said Japan didn't do any war crimes in WWII I had to address.' When did I say you said Japan didn't do any war crimes in WWII? I merely said don't defend on a definitive verdict from a world tribunal."

And that, fundamentally, is exactly true. See how riled up Wheels got when the table is turned with him at the receiving end? And that was only 2 posts whereas Wheels went on quoting and refuting pages after pages after pages. I hope he now realizes how much he has been a PITA in last few pages. I brought up that thread hoping Wheels would bite (he did) and would re-read that entire thread. Perhaps he will then realize how he needs to make changes and would.

Possible to use temporary tanks for water that then connect to a "dock" once the suite is in place?

That's one possible way but I question the longevity and reliability of the couplings between the dock and the tanks. If something is not 100% proper, it would result as in "shit happens" in a literal sense.

Exactly! We used to have 100 acres in the hinterland, really miss the views. It was the perfect weekend getaway, house was designed and built by my uncle and father as well. Will try and dig up some photos tonight and put them up, might interest some.

Great choice of photo though, I can see my current place on the very right of the shot :P

100 acres in the hinterland :headbang: that's awesome, please post photos if you can find them.

rainforest-tree-house-mmp-architects-cairns-australia-1.jpg

That would be awesome. I have loved houses like that too.