The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

Sorry Fortis, I need to slip this in to show Wheels (in good faith):

If I were to adopt Wheels' way of reply, I would say the following:

" 'just VCR saying that I said Japan didn't do any war crimes in WWII I had to address.' When did I say you said Japan didn't do any war crimes in WWII? I merely said don't defend on a definitive verdict from a world tribunal."

And that, fundamentally, is exactly true. See how riled up Wheels got when the table is turned with him at the receiving end? And that was only 2 posts whereas Wheels went on quoting and refuting pages after pages after pages. I hope he now realizes how much he has been a PITA in last few pages. I brought up that thread hoping Wheels would bite (he did) and would re-read that entire thread. Perhaps he will then realize how he needs to make changes and would.

Don't make me Wheel your ass on this subject (j/k :D)

VCR, I don't quite get what you mean with this. And of course I'd get riled up, you said I claimed Japan didn't do war crimes. That's a bit beyond a debate about architecture. But if you wanted me to re-read that thread, all you needed to do was provide a link and say, "Wheels, you need to re-read this thread." If you mean I twist people's arguments into something they're not, well I'd have to disagree with you on that---from my perspective, people were doing the same with mine. That was WHY I kept debating for pages, I felt people were responding to strawmen of my arguments.

From my perspective, I am the normal one and it's you guys who have all been the PITA these last few pages :icon_mrgreen: :P However, from now on, on subjects I will after some debate and disagreement, let things slide and just more agree to disagree.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From my perspective, I am the normal one and it's you guys who have all been the PITA these last few pages :icon_mrgreen: :P However, from now on, on subjects I will after some debate and disagreement, let things slide and just more agree to disagree.

:icon_mrgreen:

image.jpg

^Yup. :icon_mrgreen:

And with that reply from Wheels, I rest my case and my job is done on this particular discussion. :turboalex:

Now back to your regular programming...

So what cool structures had been built or proposed lately?

Think that "rotating building" has too many mechanical parts to be functionally viable imo. It is bad enough a normal apartment building will have lift maintenance costs along with exterior maintenance costs what is it going to be like with moving parts which will move a whole apartment. Plus I cannot imagine the movement itself will be silky smooth: coming home from work to find you are a floor up is nice but to find everything has fallen out of your cupboards and is smashed on the floor is not fun. How do you replace a seal when it blows? You have to hold half the building up and at what cost?

Plus how do you price something like that? Look at the Shard in London, The Penthouses sale prices covered the cost of construction etc so everything sold/rented below the penthouses was profit. Kerching.

I can't quite figure it out, but there is something about this building that I like :eusa_think: :)

01aldar.jpg

Are you serious???? :shock:

It's a bloody wheel that's why you like it! :icon_mrgreen:

I actually watched a show on Discovery about the construction of that.

Yeah I heard they used traditional building methods only. It is actually made from fire baked clay.

LOL! :lol2: Put together by peasants, right?

Are you serious???? :shock:

It's a bloody wheel that's why you like it! :icon_mrgreen:

Fortis I was kidding, I wasn't serious that I like it but couldn't figure out why :D

As an interesting side issue, I was reading a theory (there are some books about it) that the pyramids actually are not made from stone blocks that were hauled up ramps but rather each block was made from a special clay that was lifted up and then the blocks made in place.

119812d1400534809-if-engineers-designed-5th-gen-4runner-enginerring.jpg

Wheels, I take it you've never seen this illustration before?

I don't have the time (or desire) to read through your novel-length posts, but believe me when I tell you that design is almost always dictated by the Client. Very rare is an opportunity where an architect is given a blank cheque and canvas to design their desires. Designs go through countless changes from the Client, Building officials etc. before the final product is achieved. Part of what makes one a great architect is to be able to push the boundaries while still being able to make the project a reality and not a pipe dream.

Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright might be one, but I suppose you think that's not a difficult one to design too...

That's exactly what my brother talked to me about the other day, he wants to do a few to test the market, I think they are a brilliant idea, old containers are under $2k and they make excellent building blocks.

A friend of my owns a company doing something very similar. I think it's a great idea! As a potential first home buyer in the next few years I love all these alternative options coming on to the market. Funky, cheap and quick! Makes some of the smaller parcels of land a lot more viable too.

http://www.popblocks.com.au/

F_B_BLUE-VERT-BATT-DAN-FINAL_Web.jpg

119812d1400534809-if-engineers-designed-5th-gen-4runner-enginerring.jpg

Wheels, I take it you've never seen this illustration before?

I don't have the time (or desire) to read through your novel-length posts, but believe me when I tell you that design is almost always dictated by the Client. Very rare is an opportunity where an architect is given a blank cheque and canvas to design their desires. Designs go through countless changes from the Client, Building officials etc. before the final product is achieved. Part of what makes one a great architect is to be able to push the boundaries while still being able to make the project a reality and not a pipe dream.

Yes, I was talking about some of the high-profile designs. I'd imagine for the Frank Gehry designs I criticized, that the client would probably say something like, "We want something totally new, radical, etc..."

Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright might be one, but I suppose you think that's not a difficult one to design too...

Falling Water was both a good and bad design. On the one hand, it developed mold and humidity problems so bad that its owner nicknamed it "Rising Mildew." It had problems with leaks (the owner nicknamed it the "Seven Bucket Building" for this) and condensation under the roof. The design also proved unsustainable and prone to collapse and today only stands because the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy structurally modified it. The original design also was structurally reinforced above and beyond what Wright called for, but it still was prone to collapse.

That said, the design from what I understand does make excellent use of space in terms of how Japanese architecture will (as Wright loved Japanese architecture). Aesthetically, it isn't my preference though.

That's exactly what my brother talked to me about the other day, he wants to do a few to test the market, I think they are a brilliant idea, old containers are under $2k and they make excellent building blocks.

haha, I've been looking into the exact same thing.

I've got a need for it at present and thought it may be a cost effective option. but i've found that anything that acutually seems reasonable and nice is about the same as actually building in situ :(

We have this in Brighton, will see if I can get some better photos this week but it is grim but if needs must it does provide a cheap solution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28035388

haha, I've been looking into the exact same thing.

I've got a need for it at present and thought it may be a cost effective option. but i've found that anything that acutually seems reasonable and nice is about the same as actually building in situ :(

I can't be that expensive, we can try to build you one and ship it over, what are you after?

A friend of my owns a company doing something very similar. I think it's a great idea! As a potential first home buyer in the next few years I love all these alternative options coming on to the market. Funky, cheap and quick! Makes some of the smaller parcels of land a lot more viable too.

http://www.popblocks.com.au/

F_B_BLUE-VERT-BATT-DAN-FINAL_Web.jpg

Why you show me "broken trailer" design ???

:icon_mrgreen:

Those look great, what's the average price?

I couldn't resist!

This page has all the prices, floor plans, build times etc... I think they currently do up to three story houses but I know he's always thinking bigger.

I couldn't resist!

This page has all the prices, floor plans, build times etc... I think they currently do up to three story houses but I know he's always thinking bigger.

That's very cool, thanks for the info.

We have this in Brighton, will see if I can get some better photos this week but it is grim but if needs must it does provide a cheap solution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28035388

Well that looked promising until they showed the facade.

Then suddenly you're in a game show.

FlorenceHollywoodSquares8.jpg