Humvees to be Auctioned - Starting at $10K

JK79

Are these things certified for street use or just an offroad or farm truck? Starting price seems pretty low on these. Govt probably paid 1 mill each!

Are these things certified for street use or just an offroad or farm truck? Starting price seems pretty low on these. Govt probably paid 1 mill each!

Military HUMMERS are bare bones trucks. They have a GM engine and transmission. 10k is realistically what it's worth.

They are typically around 150k for the Hummers pre armor and other modifications. The 5 tons or things like MTVRs are definitely a bit more but more like 400 probably. Anything Oshkosh will be a monster. The 5 tons are street legal...as long as you're under 25k pounds at least in VA. There is a place in San Clemente, CA that completely rebuilds them for a steal.

The former military workhorse, the Humvee, carried a $70,000 price tag. As that was modified, or "up-armored," the cost rose to from $160,000 to $220,000.

I've bought over a dozen M35a2's, M818's and a M52a2 from Gov Liquidators (not this one) in the past. The listing on these Hummers states off road use only. That is a new one for me. I don't know if they will issue a title. Normally you fill out the EUC (end user certificate) to get permission to finalize the purchase. Then you apply for a SF97 which is a piece of paper that looks like a title, but is not, and can not be transfered. It is just the form required to apply for your title at the local dmv.

Don't believe the mileage. The gauges are changed with alarming frequency. If they change the engine, or rebuild it they will change the hour meter/speedo. I had one that was a fresh depot rebuild with maybe 15 hours and about 200 miles. It was built in 71. At one point, all of the gauges were being removed because of a radio active fear. Oh and that carc paint used to (maybe still does?) contain asbestos. lol

I've bought over a dozen M35a2's, M818's and a M52a2 from Gov Liquidators (not this one) in the past. The listing on these Hummers states off road use only. That is a new one for me. I don't know if they will issue a title. Normally you fill out the EUC (end user certificate) to get permission to finalize the purchase. Then you apply for a SF97 which is a piece of paper that looks like a title, but is not, and can not be transfered. It is just the form required to apply for your title at the local dmv.

Don't believe the mileage. The gauges are changed with alarming frequency. If they change the engine, or rebuild it they will change the hour meter/speedo. I had one that was a fresh depot rebuild with maybe 15 hours and about 200 miles. It was built in 71. At one point, all of the gauges were being removed because of a radio active fear. Oh and that carc paint used to (maybe still does?) contain asbestos. lol

Carc still does. My buddies Bobbed deuce was tagged by some punks, we drove it to the car wash and the spray paint just ran right off.

I work for the DoD and have ridden in these plenty of times. Bare Bones is well put, lol. It is actually very nerve-wracking to drive or ride in these on the street as you are surrounded by metal, and sitting on nothing but a canvas pad for the seat. (keep in mind, our military wear helmets when driving these out of country). Even though they are tough as nails and do give you that "indestructible" feeling, you still wouldnt want to get in an accident with one as a slight lift out of your seat could leave you with stitches.

Cool to see them listed for such low starting bids though. I'm sure plenty will be interested in project vehicles at that price.

Not for street use and won't come with a title. That being said they are pretty darn badass! I would still rather have a 6x6 2.5/5 ton.

Bare Bones is well put, lol. It is actually very nerve-wracking to drive or ride in these on the street as you are surrounded by metal, and sitting on nothing but a canvas pad for the seat.

Cool, sounds just like my Lotus. Maybe a tad heavier though.

bunch of morons paid an average price of 30K for them.

I guess they want the experience of dealing with the gov paperwork. There is several on ebay for less, with a title.

First Used Humvee Auction Rakes in $744,000 for the U.S. Army

he U.S. Army auctioned off some of its retired umvees, bringing in big bucks. The auction involved 25 trucks where each had a starting bid of $10,000. The bidding amount went between $21,500 and $41,000. About 75 percent of the total revenues went to the federal government.

The lowest winning bid went to a 1989 AM General M1038 Humvee HMMWV that had an auction price of $21,500. The highest bid was for a 1994 AM General M998A1 Humvee HMMWV declared sold at a bid amount of $41,000. HMMWV, pronounced as "Humvee," stands for High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle.

On average, the successful bid was around $30,000.

The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has around 4,000 surplus Humvees. Some will have to be transferred to local law enforcement agencies while the remainder will be placed for a public auction from IronPlanet, an online auction house.

The age-range of the Humvees is traced to begin from the Reagan-era (1987) up to the days when President Clinton was serving his first term in the office.

Humvees had started to gain worldwide attention during the Gulf War's "Operation Desert Storm." Made of strong steel and iron, the 2 to 3 ton Humvees were perfect for crossing a desert landscape.

Though they may have an imposing look, the Humvee is definitely not built for road cruising. Its engines range from 6.2 liter V-8 diesel to 6.5-liter V-8 turbo-diesel along with a 3 or 4-speed automatic transmission. What set the Humvees apart are their rugged build, torque-rich engines and their heavy-duty 4 by 4 hardware.

"The Humvee was designed for a military mission and was not designed to meet civilian safety standards," stated AM General LLC, the Humvees' manufacturer. "AM General does not endorse nor support the sale of these military vehicles to the general public or private entities. AM General further opposes any use of these military vehicles by individuals or entities outside the military context for which the vehicles are designed. AM General does not sell the military vehicle or service parts for the military vehicle to the general public."

Almost 300,000 Humvees were built both for the U.S. military and for its allies. The first civilian version came out after Arnold Schwarzenegger had talked to company officials on building a model that he could drive around. The brand was then bought by General Motors which started to build the vehicles until 2010.

The DLA is reviewing the next batch of Humvees that they can place under auction. The new round of auction is said to be on Jan. 7.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/22537/20...he-u-s-army.htm