Transmission Question

Lfsglass

This may have been discussed before but I could not seem to find any info on the topic.

egear seems to be somewhat of a problem on Gallardo's & Murcielagos. There also seems to be a lot of discussion regarding premature wear when used in the Auto mode.

How does the Mclaren trans compare?

In general is the Mclaren a more user friendly vehicle?

Gallardo's are often recommended over the Murcielago when it comes to daily driven vehicles.

Would the Mclaren be considered equal to a Gallardo in that respect or possibly even a better choice as a daily driver?

100 posts and this?

Wth does 100 posts have to do with anything?

After 100 posts am I supposed to already know the answer or because I only have 100 posts, am I not entitled to an answer???

There is no comparison between the Gallardo and the Mac in any regard and that includes transmissions. It's not PDK good but is daily livable. I think the doors and infotainment, however, make the car overall anything but livable daily.

Wth does 100 posts have to do with anything?

After 100 posts am I supposed to already know the answer or because I only have 100 posts, am I not entitled to an answer???

Some pretty basic questions that you could answer with your own searching. Usually these kind of posts come from a newb with 3 posts. By 100 posts, most are a little more self sufficient.

Dual clutch vs single...Prob hundreds or thousands of web pages and threads about them.

Actually Ag02M5, I think the OP has a point. Actual clutch wear on the 12C/650s etc would be a useful tool for perspective buyers.

Many threads across many boards tend to be tinged by owner/fanboi blindness syndrome so a true picture never develops imo. I think the draw of LP is that the owners that post tend to be less blighted by this.

This is not a derogatory comment towards you Ag02M5, I respect your input on here and I understand the point you are making.

I agree with above. The clutch of the 12c will be better but that's where it ends. The 12c's apparently have a lot of electrical gremlins and other things that make living with them a headache whereas often a gallardo is a solid platform where the tranny is the weak link.

I agree with above. The clutch of the 12c will be better but that's where it ends. The 12c's apparently have a lot of electrical gremlins and other things that make living with them a headache whereas often a gallardo is a solid platform where the tranny is the weak link.

BS... I've had couple gallardos..Mp4 better in every aspect and perfect DD. I put 17,000 miles on my coupe.

Since you haven't had one ..you haven't had a headache ..right?

BS... I've had couple gallardos..Mp4 better in every aspect and perfect DD. I put 17,000 miles on my coupe.

No need to get defensive Wayne. You are correct I have not had one. I have heard information from others who have. I have no skin in the game so I was offering up unbiased information. I'm glad you put input in this thread to help the op with his quandry. Much respect to you sir, as always.

+1000. No comparison between McLaren SSG and E-Gear. SSG is a wet clutch dual clutch, E-gear is a single plate dry clutch, much less smooth and more susceptible to wear.

No need to get defensive Wayne. You are correct I have not had one. I have heard information from others who have. I have no skin in the game so I was offering up unbiased information. I'm glad you put input in this thread to help the op with his quandry. Much respect to you sir, as always.

Peace

No 12C experience so I can't comment.

Huracan 1500 miles experience, the dual clutch in Strada mode makes the car as easy and comfortable to drive as a Toyota Corolla, I would have zero issues driving it daily, it feels weird how easy is to drive the car in that setting, I didn't think I would but I absolutely love Strada.

Gallardo series 7 years of ownership combined, due to its single clutch tranny it's isn't as DD friendly, the 560 on series a lot easier to live with a lot more refined than the previous generation, the operation at slow speed, parking movers, etc. not as user friendly as a dual clutch, I personally wouldn't use one as a DD.

In terms of reliability of the single clutch in the Gallardo series, I haven't heard any horror stories, in the 1st Generation Gallardo some of the early clutches were replaced by the factory once that happened there weren't any issues with the clutches other than normal wear and tear, not scary at all by sports car standards.

Gallardo series is as bulletproof as it gets in terms of reliability.

Good luck with your search.

Some pretty basic questions that you could answer with your own searching. Usually these kind of posts come from a newb with 3 posts. By 100 posts, most are a little more self sufficient.

Dual clutch vs single...Prob hundreds or thousands of web pages and threads about them.

This thread is not an attempt at stirring up controversy or drama. This is not intended to be a lambo guy vs mclaren guy type of thread. It is an honest question from a potential buyer. I'm not a dreamer and certainly not a troll. I have owned a Gallardo and recently purchased a Diablo. The Diablo is a wonderful vehicle but far from a daily driver. The Gallardo could certainly be used as a daily driver but the one thing I couldn't stand hearing was "is that a kit car? I thought all lambo doors went up". As lambo owners, we all know the egear has it issues. I have no idea about the mclaren. You are correct, I could read through hundreds or thousands of web pages and get the answer....Or I can post in the Mclarens section of the lambo forum and ask mclaren owners there opinion. I could have posted in a mclaren forum but I was hoping to get input from a mclaren AND lambo enthusiast. This seemed like the best place for this. How dare I ask a question on an open forum??? What else are these forums for? I also listed owners input appreciated, so if you have a problem with this type of thread or do not own a mclaren, you likely wouldn't be able to provide the input I'm looking for and your could have certainly just moved on.

I'm seriously not mad and please don't get offended but I will never understand how people have a problem with a topic of a thread and feel they need to post meaningless opinion rather than just moving on.

I do recognize that after 2000 plus posts, you are likely a valuable part of this forum but posting comments like you did in post 2 offers no value what so ever.

I am not hear to argue or start any s**t but these kind of posts give forums a bad name. It make one feel if they are not in the click they don't deserve to be here.

Back to the topic at hand....

I'd rather not read through the thousands of web pages that may or may not be out there so if any lambo AND mclaren owners care to respond please do.

If not, please accept my deepest apology for wasting 5 seconds of your day.

One more thing.

I do not intend on daily driving this car. But I am looking for a car that I don't mind jumping in to make an occasional run to the store.

Often I just jump into my truck out of convenience.

The Diablo isn't that kind of car. The Gallardo was a lot more user friendly for the "daily driver" tasks.

To those who have owned multiple exotics (Murci, Gallardo, mclaren, etc), which is the easier or more likely choice to just hop in and go???

And regarding the transmission and specifically the auto mode (as clearly listed in my initial post), is the mclaren trans more auto mode friendly?

I think you got stuck on post two. A number of us answered your questions already.

Any dual clutch will be light years ahead of any single clutch tranny for smoothness and ease of use. The Mac over the Gallardo is no exception. But if you want something comfortable and effortless, they will both come up short. 911 and R8DCT are both great appliances.

There has been a lot of reports from actual owner that are complaining about transmission failure and leaking on mp4-12c. So much for the bullet proof reliability!

There has been a lot of reports from actual owner that are complaining about transmission failure and leaking on mp4-12c. So much for the bullet proof reliability!

Posts to back this up? Not calling you out as much as wondering how accurate that is. I haven't seen anyone on LP complain about the DCT in their Mac yet vs. a handful of stories of Aventadors blowing a hose and leaving an owner stranded. Didn't Wayne have an Aventador that popped a hose in the middle of an intersection?

Posts to back this up? Not calling you out as much as wondering how accurate that is. I haven't seen anyone on LP complain. about the DCT in their Mac yet vs. a handful of stories of Aventadors blowing a hose and leaving an owner stranded. Didn't Wayne have an Aventador that popped a hose in the middle of an intersection?

I don't want to cross post link from other website. Lambo power is not a Mclaren forum so do a search if you are interested to find out. Many of my die hard Mclaren owner friends are leaving the brand and not look back.