What Is This Switch Under The Dashboard??

bxtech

I found this switch, button, pin switch type thing under my dashboard on my 1991. I can't figure out what it does. Seems like there's some type of tube on the backside of it. Anyone know what this is? It looks factory. Here's a pic with a yellow arrow pointing at it:

post-10595-1432599868_thumb.jpg

See if it turns off the AC. If your '91 is black and newly acquired I may know the car.

That is the button for adjusting the angle of the instrument dome. The dashboard height is adjustable. Manually move the instrument pod, while keeping the knob pressed upwards. See page 37 of the owners manual for a diagram.

I found this switch, button, pin switch type thing under my dashboard on my 1991. I can't figure out what it does. Seems like there's some type of tube on the backside of it. Anyone know what this is? It looks factory. Here's a pic with a yellow arrow pointing at it:

Assman......

No sorry.... It most definitely is for rocket launchers.

I personally have a switch there when I have a hot hot hot chick and its activated by my third leg automatically which activates a medical device for my passenger seat to alleviate hysteria in Hot chicks.

June......

Wow did not know that..... I will have to check this out

Thank You.....

That is the button for adjusting the angle of the instrument dome. The dashboard height is adjustable. Manually move the instrument pod, while keeping the knob pressed upwards. See page 37 of the owners manual for a diagram.

Thanks very much for the info! I had no idea that the instrument pod was adjustable. I'm gonna give it a try. I wish it could make the instrument pod smaller too.....as I have the huge early style one. Thanks again, i really appreciate it!

Thanks also to everyone else who replied.

See if it turns off the AC. If your '91 is black and newly acquired I may know the car.

My car is red and I've owned it for a little while. Thanks.

June......

Wow did not know that..... I will have to check this out

Thank You.....

Bxtech.

Did you get this to work, i.e. any movement up or down on the instrument panel while holding the button up? To be honest I've never really gotten it to work or provide any real adjustment on my '93.

Bxtech.

Did you get this to work, i.e. any movement up or down on the instrument panel while holding the button up? To be honest I've never really gotten it to work or provide any real adjustment on my '93.

I haven't tried it as of yet. Do you get any movement of the instrument pod at all? I would imagine that there isn't much room for a lot of adjustment there.

I haven't tried it as of yet. Do you get any movement of the instrument pod at all? I would imagine that there isn't much room for a lot of adjustment there.

No, not really. Kind of why I was asking if you got any movement on yours. I agree that it doesn't look like it was designed to provide much up/down adjustment. Guess that's why in later years they went with the lower pod design.

bxtech, I have a 92 with the high dash pod as well and also wished that I could make it smaller. Then I contacted Glen at AMH Exotic Parts and bought all the parts to do the conversion to the 94 and newer lower dash. Haven't done the conversion yet, will do it next winter. If you need a list of parts to do the conversion, let me know.

Thanks very much for the info! I had no idea that the instrument pod was adjustable. I'm gonna give it a try. I wish it could make the instrument pod smaller too.....as I have the huge early style one. Thanks again, i really appreciate it!

Thanks also to everyone else who replied.

bxtech, I have a 92 with the high dash pod as well and also wished that I could make it smaller. Then I contacted Glen at AMH Exotic Parts and bought all the parts to do the conversion to the 94 and newer lower dash. Haven't done the conversion yet, will do it next winter. If you need a list of parts to do the conversion, let me know.

If you wouldn't mind posting the parts list and rough cost, that would be great

Thanks! Yes, that would be great! Also, do you know exactly what is involved with this changeover? I remember reading an thread way back when and IIRC, there was more than just removing the old pod and installing the new one? There were some wiring mods as well I believe. Are you able to use the same gauges? Or, are new ones required? I remember when I was reading about it, I got kinda turned off as it was fairly involved. Maybe that was only one person's experience? I would also be interested in a rough cost of the parts as well.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried adjusting their instrument pod with this button and actually get it to move? I tried it in my car and the instrument pod is totally solid! I can't get it to move at all, even by pushing on it fairly hard. I see how it supposed to slide up and down in the owner's manual, but it's definitely not happening on my car. I don't wanna push any harder for fear of damaging something.