What has been your best roadtrip?

capt_chaos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly jealous of all the awesome stories in here with Lambos. Can't wait till mine is done so I can do my own road trips in my car.

soon

Truly jealous of all the awesome stories in here with Lambos. Can't wait till mine is done so I can do my own road trips in my car.

soon

I was wondering if we were going to get an update any time soon!

I was wondering if we were going to get an update any time soon!

I should have one soon. Meeting with my machinist and a welder this week regarding the head work. I do have some interior updates, which I will post soon, but I really want to show the before and after with some good pics :)

In 2012 I bought a car down in Melbourne, and did about 2300km over 4 or 5 days to get it home. Flew my girlfriend at the time down for the trip, and apart from booking the first nights accommodation we had no route or itinerary planned.

I really enjoyed the novelty of doing a one way trip, getting to enjoy a new car, and being able to explore anywhere along the way. Found some very cool B-roads and little towns we would have otherwise missed. Many great memories from that trip

Hoping in the next few years to be able to get over to Europe a do a proper road trip there over, so many options!

Sweet trip, how was the stress level on an event like this? Enjoyable or difficult snd would.you do it again? I have a few friends who do the Iron Buttt rslly on their bikes (1000 miles 24 hours).I have been considering it, but i tell myself id rather enjoy the view turn up the tunes place my boots in the highway pegs and enjoy the process. Srill not sure what ill do...

Doing a 2k mile harley rally next week to krater lake, Oregon, then a 1500 mile drive to texas week a day after I get back. Really looking forward to it.

Thsnks to the OP, this thread made me get off my ass enjoy the toys!

Trying to put together a socal run.2020 mentioned an event in Vegas ,if that doesnt pan out maybe the local guys can coordinate a yearly event where we can do a socal run to a meetup with some vegas/scottsdale car folks for an event. Only with good weather please.

From my initial contact with many owners, everyone seems to be down,just someone needs to coordinate it

About to go from Sydney to Ayers Rock ... spend 3 days driving around the desert and the kings canyon and a few other incredible places, then bolt back to Sydney. Looking at 7000km in about 7 days! :-D

Gonna be epic ... also aiming for an open limit stretch of road to legally stretch the diablo's legs to its limits.

About to go from Sydney to Ayers Rock ... spend 3 days driving around the desert and the kings canyon and a few other incredible places, then bolt back to Sydney. Looking at 7000km in about 7 days! :-D

Gonna be epic ... also aiming for an open limit stretch of road to legally stretch the diablo's legs to its limits.

Going to NT?

Sweet trip, how was the stress level on an event like this? Enjoyable or difficult snd would.you do it again? I have a few friends who do the Iron Buttt rslly on their bikes (1000 miles 24 hours).I have been considering it, but i tell myself id rather enjoy the view turn up the tunes place my boots in the highway pegs and enjoy the process. Srill not sure what ill do...

That one took years of planning and was all business. I will probably do something similar at a more reasonable pace within the next few years where we can stop to smell the roses a bit more!

• 6 months later...
Yup ... thoroughly enjoyable trip ... :-D

Three Diablos in the desert ... was immense ...

Then sadly one of them got crushed by a numpty going 30kph through a red light ... who said "speed kills"? ... idiot!

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

Awesome stories guys. I haven't really been on any memorable roadtrips ("yet") so I'm jealous reading about some of these adventures!

I have to get out more!

Commentary on the photos.

photo gallery

"Not crashed yet, but Rob was working on it." :D

Your next trip looks awesome too with my almost zero understanding of american landscape only learned from different survival TV shows. :D

BTW.

I just ended writing three hour nordic quide to one member here and will post it here if he green lights it.

Got PM from DrummingCannoli today, with His permission post it and my answer here:

Hey man,

I read your post in the Roadtrip thread, and noticed that you drove around Norway a bit. I spent a few weeks there in 2014 and was absolutely blown away by the scenery.

I'm trying to make it back over to the Nordic countries since I now have friends in Oslo, Bergen, and Stockholm. Any recommendations for taking a visit that you can provide?

Thanks for any tips.

Hi man!

Yes I have driven there about total of 25000km only for scenery so basically whole Norway.

Been to Stockholm 15-20 times and spent time in Oslo just a day after that national tragedy.

But you have choosen three very nice targets.

First of all I try to bind some superb drivers locations between those. So be preparare to enjoy kilometers by car.

Make trip between June-July, best is July there will be almost endless sunlight available so you see a lot more and generally warm although you will have yor chance to throw some snowballs or do a snowman. :D And those trick locations will be open to drive at the summer too, which are closed for most of the year because of the extreme weathers.

Stockholm Sweden.

This is biggest city in Skandinavia and you will want to locate this to either end of the trip, I would do it first so the drive will be more scenic and scenic towards Bergen.

But yeah Stockholm: Favorably weekend over there to enjoy.

Be located somewhere between old town and city centre and enjoy: Shopping, Night Life, maybe find some beach with chicks too.

You don't really need to have car hired for that time, you are faster moving by foot and more connected to the surroundings.

Okay then to the driving bit:

Oslo Norway.

From Stockholm to Oslo Norway you will drive superb but boring E18 motorway all the way.

You can easily drive it on one day but you could also take it easier and have a night at Örebro or Karlstad.

Your main attraction there will be the worlds best skandinavian morning meal at any decent hotel.

Then you will continue with the E18 all the way to the Oslo.

In Oslo you want to travel by foot again. Be situated at the city centre and just walk between the roof of amazing Opera House and Aker Brygge.

If you want to, taking ferry to some nearby island can be fun day and then enjoying few Monaco level priced beers between.

Okay then be ready take your dick in to your hand because serious eye fuckering beautiful scenery and best driving ever will start very soon after and never end.

Take road 7 from Oslo and start slowly climbing towards the middle and the best part of Norway.

Road 7 will turn into smaller road Rv.50 or Riksveg 50 and is majestic road. Drive it through to the end point of Aurland.

Now you have your first scenic route done.

If you want you could think about going to Jotunheimen Nationalpark and generally highest plateau of the Norway and get the more northern and ski village feeling.

But at least make minimum short roundtrip to drive through world's longest tunnel from Aurland to Lærdal, and then come back with the old road Fv243 and Bjørgavegen.

This will take maybe 2 hours to eyeball, photograph and drive.

Think about sleeping again. I would do some Hyttar or Cabin near by there either back up or by the water at Flåm for example.

My idea is to provide some strictly awesome roads but for sleeping, eating and other wandering just explore and enjoy.

Okay next morning start following down the fjord with E16 towards Bergen.

Drive E16 from Aurland, Flåm all the way to the Vossevangen. This is your best section to eyeball those waterfalls.

Then take left to the Hardangervegen number 13 from there and drive it to Eide, then take the scenic and only route to the Norheimsund.

By the time you are there you might be already done from driving, but be aware some Hotels Norheimsund are horrible.

So from Norheimsund you finally start to cut through mountains to Tysse and from there E16 to E39 towards Bergen.

Bergen Norway.

Bergen Havn or Harbour is scenic as f. Enjoy by foot.

Gather some energy and hike up to Fløien. Fløibanen will take you safely back down after a few spirits.

I would still use one more day to explore long row of all the linked islands in front of the Bergen.

This will show you fishing villages, very rural and rough endless Atlantic ocean, there will be high winds a sea breeze and if you pinch your eyes you can almost see back home.

Extra:

OFCOURSE, if your hard boiled ass want more, if your bloodshot eyes beg for more and your hire car wants more nails into it's coffin. If you are became really mad and wonderful viking soul ready to battle! Go on, fill the tank for the eleventh time and beat the dead metal&plastic horse under you and make from Bergen your own route. First a dangerous and treacherous ferry trip to Stavanger.

It will be fun trying to stay onboard the ship in quoranteed rough seas. Having binoculars for dolphins and whales in one hand and barfbag in other hand.

Then from Stavanger drive and take another ferry down the road all the way to Lysebotn. Then enjoy magical road Rv500 that is to compared with alps only to follow with hundreds of kilometers of magical scenery through road Fv986. Sleep a couple of huts more and end up into lets say: very southern end of the Skandinavia, a Koenigsegg factory tour or Swedish airforce tour and through frigging awesome bridge to Denmark.

OR GO INSTEAD NORTH, AKA go full stop mental condition. Fill your throusers with asphalt and take four more days of endless driving through E6 motorway all the way on the top of the world to the most northern accessible point at Nordkapp. The scenery will be ~4000km between snow filled mountain ranges, vast forrests then more between less steep and more arctic surroundings.

Then drive down to Finland where I live (although other end) only to find out that it is cold, miserable, flat and boring place on earth that god forbid and instead poured full of swamps, lakes and moskitos.

Anyway what ever you do, do the trip and do it good. It is far away but the memories will stay for the rest of your life.

On car front I would hire a BMW 535d Touring or Volvo V70 D5 or similar. You want comfy seats for long run, you want diesel to cover those unhabited places without being suddenly without fuel and starve or hypotherm to death. Navi is a must option. Ofcourse driving some exotic up and down the twisties would be sick but it's dangerous enough with a less potent car.

I hope this was helpfull.

ps. Dig deep on those morning meals at the hotel.

pps. In Norway any road marked Rv or Fv and you are gold mining the scenery. Especially with Rv50, 51, 52, 53 etc…

ppps. If you are hungover from hard night keep driving to minimum to be safe and attack roads the next day when your mind and body is back.

Last summer I did a 2 week road trip through the black forest in Germany, then on to Luxembourg, and then headed down to Alsace in France, and took the "Route des vins". At one point I got completely lost driving on what seemed to be paved agricultural roads through the vineyards. As I was trying to get back to the main roads (GPS was of no help since those roads weren't mapped) I saw a sign pointing towards a private road to an inn. I said 'what the hell, let's see what's there', and after driving about 1 km through a forest in the middle of nowhere, lo and behold a completely renovated 18 th century inn with a Michelin star restaurant. I was lucky they had a table available and had a great meal over there before heading back to the hotel in the incredibly beautiful village of Kientzheim. Alsace is a paradise and those pretty medieval villages look like they've been taken straight out of a fairy tale. The Black Forest area in Germany is incredibly beautiful, rolling hills, forests, beautifully preserved villages, and awesome medieval castles (visited the Hohenzollern Castle, which is awesome and less touristy than Neuschwanstein) and the western part of Germany also has better infrastructure and less crowded highways. It was a blast. Luxembourg too is very pretty, and it's changed quite a bit in the past 5-6 years, it's become a very vibrant place. In the past it was probably one of the most boring places you could visit in that area.

I've also got the Transfagarasan road that was on Top Gear in my back yard. When it's open, in the summer months I like to hit it very early in the morning so I have it mostly to myself. Though since its appearance on TG, it's been publicized a lot and there are more and more tourists and moronic bikers with a deathwish driving on it. There's a new mountain road opened now, called the Transalpina, which hasn't yet been overrun by tourists, and it's just as good. The last time I went there was in a Boxster GTS and it was an absolute blast! Loved that car.

The next road trip I have planned is in late April. I'm going to France again, this time from La Rochelle to Biarritz and then on to Toulouse and Andorra (in a rental 4 series convertible). France is awesome, once you get out of Paris :D

A bit off the topic but have been doing alot of Harley runs lately. With a bike provides a feel really incomparable to any car even convertible. One of the runs was from Socal to North Cali, Oregon through Nevada in 5 days. One of my best trips. This year heading up to Canada from Socal with a group and on my itinerary is a partial solo West coast to East cost run. I am sure other members here have their license, I would highly, highly suggest a MC run. If you dont own a bike, Harley will rent them out. Another perk is meeting fellow riders you meet in the middle of nowhere when riding a bike.

I do a bit offroading as well in a SXS , we plan on doing a cross desert run grand canyon,etc , will update when that happens.

Point being, you dont need a 200k+ plus car to have a phenomenal run. Get out and enjoy life.