Personal watercraft, waverunners

Assman

Within the next year I'm planning on picking up a house that's on a harbor lane to the Pac Ocean. I'll have my own dock out back. I'm not a speedboat or sailboat guy but I do want a couple of waverunners. So what should I look at/for.

Requirements:

Hold 2 people

Reliable (think Lexus vs Lambo)

Saltwater/ocean usable

Power to pull an inner tube or the like behind it.

I know nothing about these vehicles but am excited about getting a couple as I've loved them when I've ridden them.

If you want reliable, go Yamaha. I've had a ton of these over the years, you'll want a non supercharged 3 seat yamaha like a vx cruiser.

My friends own some Seadoos, not sure what the model but they hold 3 people, are super safe and stable (still top out at 50 though) and as far as I'm aware have been pretty reliable.

I have a seadoo RXP and an RXT that I bought new a while back and they have been very reliable and I use them in saltwater. One is a 2 seater and the other is 3. Plenty fast and fun.

Kawasaki guy here. Had them for years, never a single issue. I ride them pretty hard too.

Currently own a 310r and it is hands down my favorite ski I've ridden. That is the sport/aggressive model. They have an LX model that has a sound system, and other amenities. Although if you have never owned a ski, I might recommend not jumping right into a high performance craft. It's easy to get carried away, and with a power to weight ratio of a 1000hp car, it is no joke.

If you plan on doing any off-shore riding, nothing compares IMO.

It is an extremely powerful craft. The most powerful on the market, paired with an Incredible hull, it makes for one hell of a ride.

Not big on Sea-Doo. They are nice skis but in my personal experience are not as reliable as the Kawi's.

I have Seadoo 3 seat and 2 seater I bought new over 10 years ago when they still had 2 stroke motors they still run like champs. Get a 3 seater very stable which will make your experiences way more fun.

Thanks for the info so far. Since I'll have them on my dock do I need a trailer, I'm wondering about having to get them serviced. The trailer might be a headache as to where I'd store it though. I want to buy a private garage for my Lambo and another vehicle and some storage but in So Cal every square foot counts as far as price.

I'd get a dock lift if you can do it so they aren't sitting in the water 24/7 but that is just me. Family has that at their lake house and it is nice to pull up and dock, hop off and then lift it out of the water.

Yes, you will need to keep the craft out of the water when not in use. I also highly recommend flushing it after each ride as well as a quick wash. Only takes a few mins. Salt water is a PITA

You really shouldn't leave it sitting in salt water, ever.

Trailers are nice, but do take up space for sure. Check with a local marina and see if they have trailer storage.

I just bought a Sea Doo GTX 260 IS.... amazing machine, get's to 68 MPH easy, has launch control, cruise control, GPS, stability control and FULL suspension, the bottom deck is separate, has like 6-8" of travel to absorb all the bumps from waves....

If you want reliable, go Yamaha. I've had a ton of these over the years, you'll want a non supercharged 3 seat yamaha like a vx cruiser.

This. Bulletproof and decent reverse with quasi braking capability at the handlebars. Fast enough for my kids and strong enough to tow toys.

I'd get a dock lift if you can do it so they aren't sitting in the water 24/7 but that is just me. Family has that at their lake house and it is nice to pull up and dock, hop off and then lift it out of the water.

Yes, you will need to keep the craft out of the water when not in use. I also highly recommend flushing it after each ride as well as a quick wash. Only takes a few mins. Salt water is a PITA

You really shouldn't leave it sitting in salt water, ever.

Trailers are nice, but do take up space for sure. Check with a local marina and see if they have trailer storage.

Yes, a lift will be necessary for them as I plan on getting 2 because one is the loneliest number.

I just bought a Sea Doo GTX 260 IS.... amazing machine, get's to 68 MPH easy, has launch control, cruise control, GPS, stability control and FULL suspension, the bottom deck is separate, has like 6-8" of travel to absorb all the bumps from waves....

Wow, what a machine. The suspension seems like another thing to worry about breaking.

Wow, what a machine. The suspension seems like another thing to worry about breaking.

Why? Would you worry about the suspension on a motorcycle breaking? If it's designed even halfway decently it will be a non-issue for decades.

Why? Would you worry about the suspension on a motorcycle breaking? If it's designed even halfway decently it will be a non-issue for decades.

IF you designed it I wouldn't worry. As you know, the more moving parts the more things to wear out or fail or need attention.

From what little experience I have, get a 3 seater. They are more stable than 2 seaters. We were able to switch "drivers" while both of us were still on it. Like the others said always do a freshwater flush after riding and get a lift or 2 for them so they are not in the water full time. My uncle had two different kind of lifts, one you positioned the ski over it and it lifted it out of the water and it stayed on the lift. Then he got one where it would grab onto the sides and lift it out and he had dollys on the dock that he kept them on.

Thats badass!!! Didnt know they came out with these.

IF you designed it I wouldn't worry. As you know, the more moving parts the more things to wear out or fail or need attention.

Coming from a guy that owns a Italian car LOL.