VBUGKING's 918

DrFuzzy

yeah ill just wait for a P1 lololol

seriously I would take that fashion gray 918 above over just about anything! that car is a perfect 10 IMO (minus the green stripe around the wheels)

Couple more pics of that fashion gray 918 with Salzburg livery:

post-6539-1439359354_thumb.jpg

post-6539-1439359360.jpg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt realize you moved, do you like it there? I appreciate the compliment, have you gotten to check out any 918s up close?

I love it here so far! Hot as heck but the country is great. Feel free to check out my thread on it.

I got to see my first 918 at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix the weekend before I left and I was BLOWN AWAY. I didn't realize how intricate the details on the car were; things like the rear CF canards and the rest of the ground effects package. It is hands down my favorite car on the market right now. I am a lambo guy through and through but if push came to shove and I could have 2 cars in the garage they would be a CGT and a 918 Spyder...maybe I am turning into a Porsche guy?????

I can't wait to see pics of it with your Aventador!

yep mexico blue! either way love the new ride! :icon_super: the only color I don't think suits the car is black for some weird reason.

018_blue.jpg

This particular 918 is actually a color called Vodoo Blue. :icon_mrgreen: It is a little darker than Mexico Blue. The picture doesn't do the car justice. It was stunning in person. That shade of blue just works great with all of the carbon fiber bits. A friend of mine in AZ was the original owner of the car but sold it a few months back.

Here is some more useless info about Vodoo Blue. The color was lifted off of the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Porsche paint to sample matched it. I'm sure the quality of paint on the 918 was just little better than the FJ.

I love it here so far! Hot as heck but the country is great. Feel free to check out my thread on it.

I got to see my first 918 at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix the weekend before I left and I was BLOWN AWAY. I didn't realize how intricate the details on the car were; things like the rear CF canards and the rest of the ground effects package. It is hands down my favorite car on the market right now. I am a lambo guy through and through but if push came to shove and I could have 2 cars in the garage they would be a CGT and a 918 Spyder...maybe I am turning into a Porsche guy?????

Had my first go in a 918 the other day - great car overall. Compared to the GT much more accessible power and easy to use but not as fun. They would be the perfect pair to compliment each other.

Had my first go in a 918 the other day - great car overall. Compared to the GT much more accessible power and easy to use but not as fun. They would be the perfect pair to compliment each other.

I had you in mind when I made that comment. I know they are different price brackets but I have to assume you would take the 918 over the 548 Speciale?

Couple more pics of that fashion gray 918 with Salzburg livery:

love it! so what is the going price on a solid color 918 now in the states?

Thanks Aram, have you had the chance to drive one yet?

I have not, I suspect it is a pure blast. Porsche does a lot of R&D on their cars before releasing them and they usually are the bomb.

I didnt realize you could get black. I knew silver was an option, and I thought about doing that since it would match my interior, but decided I liked the acid green more so I stuck with that.

No one in the US even pressed the issue that hard, at the time (Late 2014/Jan 2015). 5K a caliper.

What does the Weissach package consist of? The carbon fiber accents on the rear and front lip?

What does the Weissach package consist of? The carbon fiber accents on the rear and front lip?

You get a lot of stuff with the $84k Weissach package. Some stuff you can order on the standard one for an additional cost.

Carbon fiber A pillars (cannot order on standard)

Carbon fiber Aero Blades around sides of rear bumper (cannot order on standard)

Carbon fiber flaps in the air outlets behind the front wheels (cannot order on standard)

Martini or Salzburg Livery (cannot order on standard)

Instead of paint you can get matte wrap film which saves 5.1 lbs (cannot order on standard)

Alcantara on steering wheel and seat inserts (I dont believe you can get this on the standard, but not 100% sure)

Carbon fiber side mirrors (can be ordered on standard for $5600)

Carbon fiber wing (can be ordered on standard for $12,600)

Carbon fiber roof panels (can be ordered on standard for $15400)

Carbon fiber interior package (can be ordered on standard for $7500)

918 Spyder Magnesium wheels save 33lbs (can be ordered on standard for $32,500)

Complete list of the Weissach Package weight savings (90 lbs total) (most you cannot get on standard)

Weight-optimized interior door trim – 2.6 lbs

Weight-optimized braking system, including brake pad backplate made from titanium – 4.4 lbs

Lightweight bucket seats made from flame-retardant material (FIA norm) – 3.1 lbs

918 Spyder magnesium wheel – 33 lbs

Omission of glove box – 2.9 lbs

Reduced sound damping – 11.7 lbs

Omission of textile lining on the rear wall – 4.4 lbs

Foil wrap instead of paint – 5.1 lbs

CFRP stabilizer on rear axle – 3.3 lbs

Omission of Burmester® High-End Surround Sound-System – 9.0 lbs

Omission of vaporizer in 2-zone automated climate control – 2.0 lbs

Titanium chassis screws – 1.8 lbs

Shorten floor covering in footwell – 1.8 lbs

Ceramic wheel bearings – 1.5 lbs

Interior frames made from carbon fiber

reinforced plastic (CFRP) in visible

carbon fiber – 1.3 lbs

CFRP rod to support hood – 1.1 lbs

Omission of speed charging equipment – 0.9 lbs

Omission of outer lining on trunk – 0.7 lbs

Omission of storage compartment in center console, Alcantara® armrest on center console – 0.7 lbs

Lightweight thin glass – 0.4 lbs

Shifting paddles made from carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) in visible carbon fiber – 0.4 lbs

Door opener loop – 0.4 lbs

Omission of USB cable – 0.4 lbs

Aero covers on wheelhouse + 0.2 lbs

Aero-blade on the tail + 2.2 lbs

Some of this stuff you can add back in, like the stereo and glove box etc.

Glad you are enjoying your new living arrangements, I will check out your thread soon. I agree with you about the detail on the 918s, it really took me by surprise too. Maybe we are both turning into Porsche guys haha, Lambos are still awesome of course. Will get some pics soon!

Huge congrats on the 918! The more I see them, the more I like them. Looking forward to some pics with your other cars.

Thanks, will get some this week hopefully.

love it! so what is the going price on a solid color 918 now in the states?

I don't know what they are actually transacting at, but it appears that people are asking a $500k-700k premium over sticker depending on whether it's a Weissach or not. I am sure 100k off asking wouldn't be out of the question for a real buyer.

I think the silver works great with the Blue personally. Congrats Vbug.

I appreciate it Kevin, most everyone agrees that silver and blue go great together!

I have not, I suspect it is a pure blast. Porsche does a lot of R&D on their cars before releasing them and they usually are the bomb.

I hope you get to drive it on the track sometime, I would be interested to hear your thoughts. I thought it was amazing to drive on the track, but I am no expert. On the street it really is a very usable hypercar, and the roof off experience with the exhaust right behind your head is just out of this world.

And I agree, Porsche really thought out the entire car, it's very sorted.

I had you in mind when I made that comment. I know they are different price brackets but I have to assume you would take the 918 over the 548 Speciale?

Interesting question - here's my review from rennlist:

I had 90 mins in a 918 yesterday and i'm sure this will be a controversial post...especially as i am a GT owner.

The 918 is absolutely perfect in that it's fast, stunning and does everything you want of it with extremely accessible speed and comfort with field leading components and an interior that makes you feel at home straight away. The infotainment system is very easy to use with no prior knowledge and the Burmester sound system is incredible.

After 90 minutes in the car I came away VERY disappointed after recently being upset that i hadn't upgraded to one and i'll give a few of my thoughts as to why:

What initially shocked me was the smoothness over the gear changes - you literally cannot feel either upshifts or downshifts. I was amazed and i'm sure this is due to the torque from the electric motors. What this does is make the car hyper-reactive with acceleration and is incredibly quick as expected. The negative to this is that as a result it has absolutely no feel - you do not feel at one with the car nor that you have much input - the car is too clever and too heavy to sense what's going on.

And here comes the controversial aspect of my post: It is not a drivers car. The car is clearly designed to be used in auto - the paddles click rather than pull like on its competitors and it loses the driver interaction as a result. Don't get me wrong, the 918 is a phenomenal car in that you can take the roof off, cruise and enjoy your surroundings, be faster than almost any other car out there and be able to accomplish all of this with a coffee in your hand whilst doing it. Similarly you could throw that coffee out and take it around a track faster than almost any other car out there but for enthusiasts that want to be able to learn and master a car and appreciate the challenge in doing so i believe many will agree that the car does not tick the box for interaction and fun. The car becomes a computer game - the 918 lacks character and feels clinical which is something i didn't expect, especially at this price range. My Speciale which also has a flappy paddle gearbox is far more fun and wild than the 918. It also has far more feel, sounds better and brakes just as well...so why have they engineered this out of the 918?

Quick thoughts on a few areas:

The brakes were phenomenal.

Electric mode - incredible especially with the torque.

Looks - amazing - better than the GT.

Quality - wow - what attention to detail...except why can't you see the engine...what a shame.

Sound - very average unless at full wide open throttle (my speciale stock sounds better, let alone with the capristo) and the 918 doesn't have a patch on the CGT.

My summary::

I honestly think the car strokes the ego (price and hypercar status) more than the senses. The car would be PERFECT in congested Cities and on road trips - you can just hop in and go without having to think about anything other than making sure you don't go more than three times the speed limit in the blink of a few seconds. I would LOVE to add one to my collection but i wouldn't trade my GT against it for the simple fact that the pair compliment each other perfectly. I would want to take the 918 to the track and have the GT waiting for me to take on. Similarly for an early morning Sunday blast where you'd be sure to have no traffic the GT would always be my first choice - it's a special car but is only best enjoyed where you have lots of corners and no traffic as it is a PITA in traffic as you have to constantly pay attention to when the traffic lights will change, anticipate each input etc - you must concentrate. However this does all add to that experience...the CGT really does decimate the 918 in terms interaction, driver fun and the feeling that what you're driving is truly special and I really didn't expect to come away with those thoughts when comparing it to the 918.

I don't know what they are actually transacting at, but it appears that people are asking a $500k-700k premium over sticker depending on whether it's a Weissach or not. I am sure 100k off asking wouldn't be out of the question for a real buyer.

sounds about right.. the roof off experience must be insane! is it close to CGT sound at WOT?