Cayman GT4

cake

Fortis - thanks for "promoting" me to PRO! I'll take it :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid: :headbang:

Glad you are recovering well Cake. Sorry to hear about having a concussion, that sucks.

Great pictures of the Cayman and the Polestar too!

Epic rain shot. :)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track Review:

Since my last post I have driven:

PittRace: one 12 min session with a coach - my first attempt in recovery!

Mid-Ohio: 8 sessions each 10-15 min over 3 days, first 4 sessions with coach, then solo

Watkins Glen: 7 sessions ea 15-20 min over 2 days, first 4 with coach, then solo

Summit Point (Main Circuit) 8 sessions 20 min ea, first 3 with coach, then solo

Limited ability to stay focused, hence short sessions (but steadily improving over the events)

Motion still caused symptoms (mostly vertigo) and in some cases had to pit early but the more I endured the easier it got. At first I was aided with medication but did not use any at Summit and just pushed through feeling sick in the tight technical sections.

The car is spectacular! Summit was the first time I truly scrubbed the tires properly although I started to drive quite hard at the Glen, and reached limit of adhesion in slower, safer corners. The Dunlops are very grippy with proper heat. I'll try Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's when these burn up early next season.

The GT4 shines on technical tracks. I understand why some folks tune them to 4.0 liter with a straighter torque line (to address the dip in power mid range) but for my needs the car offers more than I'll use. I keep it in the higher revs and it pulls nicely through the band.

I wasn't convinced giving up the Cayman R was right for me - but I'm very happy with everything about the GT4 except the color (and it's fine, I've grown to love the gray but that Peridot Metallic was a special color). If I could have had PTS (Paint To Sample) I would have done either Peridot or Ultra Violet (purple). I love a fun color on a GT car!

The GT4 has all the attributes of the Cayman R PLUS:

- more power/torque (obviously - it's the Carrera S 3.8 liter engine versus the R's 3.4)

- superb exhaust note - I love it stock

- the best shift feel ever (very notchy and similar to 997.2 GT3RS)

- the look of a true GT car (low, aggressive)

- interior updated refinements that didn't exist for the R

- three conveniently placed 12V outlets

- extended range fuel tank - I got 26 mpg and range of 420 miles on last trip to Watkins Glen - impressive

What don't I like about it?

- the seat isn't sprung forward (like the R) so I must manually pull forward - but it does have electronic up/down adjustment which is nice (the R seat moved only fore/aft not up down)

- the seat doesn't fold forward - have to slide fixed back seat forward to place shoulder harnesses smoothly behind the seat

- seat pass through for harnesses are too small for cam lock to pass through - must remove cam lock in between events or have it flop around the cabin (might scratch the CF so I remove it which isn't a big deal)

- no mirror memory, no park sensors or rear view cam, no keyless go (for a car in this price range very disappointing but it's Porsche so get used to it)

Overall I love the car and the complaints are minor and easy to live with.

The car is reputed to have a lot of understeer but I had the suspension modified to lower the car slightly and dial in more camber than was possible at factory max - so the handling is crisp, sharp - almost telepathic. It only pushed in situations when truly reaching the limit, and it offered signs of oversteer at the limit - but it's a car that easily obtains a four wheel drift and it very intuitive to dial back with throttle steer or minor corrections. It's very similar to the R in this way. It's an aspect of the mid engine that I absolutely love.

By next season I expect to be 100% and ready to drive at my full potential (which still won't exhaust the car's potential) and I know it'll be even better. These past events I needed to build confidence. It's scary driving on a race track when you can't trust your brain or your judgement. I opted to register as an instructed student with coach because I needed someone to tell me I was doing things correctly, and more importantly to push me (brake later, more throttle, etc) when I was ready to get to the next level. It would've taken me longer to get there if I was solo.

Even for a battleship gray car it gets a lot of attention and thumbs up. I'm happy I made the leap and while I'll always have a soft spot for the Cayman R which taught me to be a better driver - the GT4 is superior in every way that counts. It's not the fastest car (nor will it ever be) but the superb mid engine balance and driver engagement makes it a really fun car on the street and it truly shines on the track.

I am VERY grateful that my injury wasn't worse and that I'll make a full recovery and get back to doing the things I love. It could have been much worse and I consider myself VERY lucky!

Watkins Glen

IMG_8900.jpg

Summit

IMG_8944.jpg

Plastidip on GT4 badge for a bit of red on the rear

IMG_8592.jpg

Mid OH

IMG_8670.JPG

Cars n Coffee (friend, hubby & me)

IMG_8506.jpg

PittRace

IMG_7807.JPG

Miami Blue Targa and Riviera Blue GT4 (YUM!)

At Tune Up Party for Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_8596.jpg

Beautiful pics! Glad to hear that you're recovery is progressing nicely. Great review on the car too. Enjoy!

Beautiful pics! Glad to hear that you're recovery is progressing nicely. Great review on the car too. Enjoy!
Thank you!

Thank you!

Saw a Yellow GT4 this morning in the way to drop off the S8 for some service. Made my think of you! So glad to see you are doing better.

Oh yeah I also got to watch a GT3RS run laps at Yas yesterday. It looked real good in purple.

Awesome license plate frame!! :)
thank you!

Have had one on each car that says "not a garage queen" but this was the first one in German!

Great post cake, I was really looking forward to a review after you had some track time, I am glad to hear that you are doing well :icon_thumleft:

Very informative post. Thank you for sharing.

Great to hear that your are doing better. Wishing you a continuing rapid recovery.

• 1 year later...

Decided to make it a bit more personal. Removed the alcantara insert covers and created my own.

The fabric choices weren’t great - I was looking for red with gray accents to carry theme. This will be fun for awhile and I’ll continue to search for something better.

Learned a lot in the process. Next time will be easier. Probably will be the cheapest mod ever at around $50 for everything (fabric and Velcro).

Still enjoying the car. Just passed 15,000 miles this week!

0D238C8C_6485_4C68_8D0D_F9433840B2E0.jpeg

8FB49260_84C5_4491_92AC_54B473611890.jpeg

not sure why first pic is turned and second pic tiny....uploading pics never seems to work right

Love it great job!
Thank you!

Dang! That is super hot. Nice job!
Thanks Bryan!

That looks fantastic!

Have you looked at the Clark plaid from a new gti? It looks really good.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-klii-motorwerke...8/k12-33rl~kli/

Thanks! The Clark plaid looks great! If I'd seen something like that it would have been a no-brainer! My only concern would be that it's vinyl. The fabric I chose is 100% cotton. I'm sure over a long period of time it won't hold up to UV or wear/tear since it's not automotive grade - but I'll just change it if it starts to look bad.

Vinyl would hold up well - but I wonder about how it would feel during long trips, or on the track.

But the color combo/pattern is perfect!

Thanks! The Clark plaid looks great! If I'd seen something like that it would have been a no-brainer! My only concern would be that it's vinyl. The fabric I chose is 100% cotton. I'm sure over a long period of time it won't hold up to UV or wear/tear since it's not automotive grade - but I'll just change it if it starts to look bad.

Vinyl would hold up well - but I wonder about how it would feel during long trips, or on the track.

But the color combo/pattern is perfect!

The link I posted is a vinyl wrap so it would obviously be horrible for a seat material. I just posted the vinyl link because it was a clear photo.

The actual fabric rolls by yd is available from the links below.

http://classiccarservices.co.uk/shop/oem-m...fabric-1-detail

http://www.kdicustoms.com/store/p7/MK7_Clark_Plaid.html

I have a 2017 GTI as my daily beater and love the seat fabric, I'm sure it would work great for you.

Pic is a corbeau gti clubsport seat a guy added the plaid inserts in. When yours wear out the clark plaid would look fantastic in there!

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpg

Looks refreshingly good. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks VCR!

That looks very cool :icon_thumleft:
Thank you Fortis

The link I posted is a vinyl wrap so it would obviously be horrible for a seat material. I just posted the vinyl link because it was a clear photo.

The actual fabric rolls by yd is available from the links below.

http://classiccarservices.co.uk/shop/oem-m...fabric-1-detail

http://www.kdicustoms.com/store/p7/MK7_Clark_Plaid.html

I have a 2017 GTI as my daily beater and love the seat fabric, I'm sure it would work great for you.

Pic is a corbeau gti clubsport seat a guy added the plaid inserts in. When yours wear out the clark plaid would look fantastic in there!

Thanks emanon for the additional info! Love the plaid and will add it to my list of possibilities for insertcover.2

I just drove a GT4 the other day for the first time, very raw car the sport seats are a bit too much for the street but still badass
Agree that it’s a fun drive.

The seat comfort is very personal. Hubby has trouble tolerating them for anything other than a short duration. He has a REALLY bad back. I find them quite comfortable even on long trips (5 hour drive to the Glen for example) as long as my lumbar pillow is in place. I think it depends how the seat fits you, and tolerance for a stiffer, less cushy seat.