Straight Outta Compton

emanon

Wife and I saw it last weekend, absolutely great documentary on the band and how a few key members turned into mega stars. Sounds long at 2-1/2 hours, but you'll wish the story carried on for another 30 min.

We went to a theatre in a nice neighborhood and it was 95% 30-40yr old white people, so zero hoodlum factor which was nice.

if you're under 40 you have to go see it, even if it's not your favorite type of music they do have some catchy tunes and lots of laughs.

When you get home throw in Friday just to complete the day.

Wife and I saw it last weekend, absolutely great documentary on the band and how a few key members turned into mega stars. Sounds long at 2-1/2 hours, but you'll wish the story carried on for another 30 min.

We went to a theatre in a nice neighborhood and it was 95% 30-40yr old white people, so zero hoodlum factor which was nice.

if you're under 40 you have to go see it, even if it's not your favorite type of music they do have some catchy tunes and lots of laughs.

When you get home throw in Friday just to complete the day.

I saw it yesterday and I have the same conclusion as you. I wish it was a tad bit longer. Some of the scenes, namely the one with the MP5, had me laughing pretty hard. I went to a theatre in the nice part of town too. I wasn't looking to have a "diverse" theatre experience. The white Testarossa is beautiful. Not as beautiful as a white Countach, but still beautiful. It brought me back to Don Johnson and Miami Vice. The theatre had some stupid discount and I got the ticket for $4.00. I felt the need to add that for some reason. That and I can't be the only one who drove home spiritedly playing a little NWA fcuk the Police (no reflection of my feelings towards majority of law enforcement). Like OP said though, well worth the time.

It was good. Better than expected even for those that more or less know the NWA and Ice cube/dr dre story.

My theater was entertaining on opening weekend, a bit of a hood crowd managed to make their way to the Midway in FOREST HILLS. No shootings but a near fight amongst some 30something ladies (nothing to do with the film's content, just kicking into the seat in front of them), and a separate incident with an off kilter Caucasian spewing unsolicited messages of White guilt that people weren't really responding to except to tell him to STFU. It was extra confusing because he came with a black friend who tried to calm things down but failed. Wound up having several people leave and the manager giving everybody free tickets at the end. :eusa_dance:

Otherwise it was very entertaining. Crowd participation was high in this one, and the best part was a big part of the audience reacting surprised at major plot points throughout as if this was pure fiction. LOL.

I just noticed this sounded like a Wheels' story but I can assure you it did happen! :icon_thumleft:

BTW, that White TR looked good.

I thought it was good. It reminded me of the King beating and the riots. It's crazy to think back then there was a split in the fold about whether he deserved it or not. Looking at it now I can't see how anyone would think and unarmed man deserved to get beat to a pulp by 4 police officers.

I am not against the majority of law enforcement. I have known plenty of people to say stupid shit at the wrong time or act stupid at the wrong time and it just gets them in more trouble. However I couldn't imagine growing up in compton at that time and being stereo typed so overwhelmingly that you feared going outside because of the police. On the other side you have the gangs to fear that have caused this stereo type. At that point what is a young man to do but choose a side.

Pretty amazing Dr. Dre created so much for himself and he is now a billionaire..good for him.

I liked it too, and wished it was a tad longer. Apparently they had about an hour more material that they removed for the final cut. I hope it was historically accurate? Of course they made Suge look terrible but spared Dre the same fate despite his apparent history of woman beating. Looking forward to the obviously incoming sequel with Tupac, Snoop, Death Row, etc.

What we call rap music began with the FatBack Band in the early seventies. Earlier roots can be found in James Brown's music among others. The music has reflected the times in which it is born. Poor and disenfranchised peoples bore the brunt of the impact of global economics and US economic policy creating a hostile environment which was reflected in the music.

The music was a metaphor for the experiences of the people affected.

Great movie. My girlfriend didn't know much about NWA, so it was fun to see her reaction to a lot of the things in the movie.

I'm the only one that thought it was boring and too white I think. I actually fell asleep for 30 minutes.

You asshole, wouldn't stop snoring. :lol2:

great movie.... hopefully the next ones are just as good.... eazy-e radio has been on in my Tesla lately...

great movie.... hopefully the next ones are just as good.... eazy-e radio has been on in my Tesla lately...

:icon_thumleft:

good movie. Loved seeing them play at The Summit..............which is now a church......Lakewood Church. I can never imagine the things that went on in that building and now it's a church.

good movie. Loved seeing them play at The Summit..............which is now a church......Lakewood Church. I can never imagine the things that went on in that building and now it's a church.

Isn't it Amercia's second largest church by attendance or something? So not only a church, but a really freaking big one. I really want to see this movie, just haven't found someone to go see it with..but may go see it alone if that's the case.

Saw it last night. Very well done, was a long movie but did not feel long. Pretty cool to see how they came together and some of the inspiration behind their music. Ice Cube's son is the spitting image of him.

Finally watched it last night, I didn't know much history about the NWA past but it was definitely fascinating.

Surge Knight is ruthless. A good friend that is big into rap had told me that Jeremy said he should of let Eazy-E kill Knight, as it would of done the world a favor.

I was hoping the movie kept on going but I guess they want to save it for the sequel.