Los Angeles recommendations?

dtrax

Speaking of Soho house - how hard is it to get a membership there? I applied to Little Malibu House with two legit recommendations from current members and still haven't heard back. Guess I'm not cool enough lol

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malibu is a separate membership from Soho house. You can be an everyhouse member but you still need to apply for Malibu. So I think its more difficult to get a membership there since you have to first become a SH member and then apply for Malibu. Anyway, I've been and I didnt like it. Really different vibe from WeHo, actually really different from all the other houses, not in a good way though. I think they are really trying to keep the numbers down and I wouldn't take it personally. You'll probably hear from them eventually and until then just go with your friends.

Speaking of Soho house - how hard is it to get a membership there? I applied to Little Malibu House with two legit recommendations from current members and still haven't heard back. Guess I'm not cool enough lol

Any San Diego recommendations since we have all the so cal guys posting in this thread? Will be there in October, first time.

Phils bbq. Im a lot simpler than the rest of these guys. :icon_mrgreen:

Catch is good!

Have you ever eaten at Tuscany off Westlake Blvd? The food is good, not fantastic... but its not expensive either. The scene is alot of fun though.. We sit at the bar and are friends with the bartenders who serve great cocktails. For some reason all the rockers go there and you never know whats gonna happen.

That's a great little spot :icon_thumleft: I also like Cafe Roma and Il Forniao.

Little Malibu House is a little douschey for my taste, I like SoHo house in WeHo much better. I'm also not a big Nobu fan...those places are more of a "scene" where you have people trying to pretend to ball out and want the instagram fame to go with it.

Any San Diego recommendations since we have all the so cal guys posting in this thread? Will be there in October, first time.

Phil's is great. Depends on what part of SD you're going to and if you're rolling single or with a lady. My SD list:

Rustic Root - great food, better drinks and great rooftop scene in the gas lamp

Parq - Excellent food. Turns into a night club at night with a lot of premier headliners, not sure if that is your scene, but the food is excellent.

Clayton's Coffee Shop on Coranado is a good, old school style dinner

I'll think of more...

Sweet. Thanks for the recommendations

:icon_thumleft:

Bernini's Bistro in LA Jolla is also a good spot. It's also right next to Ferrari and Lambo of La Jolla as well.

SD as a city lacks upscale. It has fun-trendy, but you have to go to Carlsbad, La Jolla, Carmel to get classier joints.

Phil's is a local institution like DZ Akins (glorified diner/bakery) is. If you go, the Santee Phil's location is the better one. I dig Chris Ono for some Hawaiian faire, or I go to the neighborhoods like Kensington, University Heights and Northpark, not bar-laden Gaslamp. Gaslamp Strip Club is a hard pass. It's like Sizzler if you cooked your own food. There is always a group letting some kid run amok around the communal grills, tossing all the spices all over the place. Maybe you like a combo of curry, pickles, seasoned salt and hibiscus on your steak, but I don't. Hillcrest is a gay neighborhood, so there are loads of fun places there too.

Bernini's Bistro in LA Jolla is also a good spot. It's also right next to Ferrari and Lambo of La Jolla as well.

SD as a city lacks upscale. It has fun-trendy, but you have to go to Carlsbad, La Jolla, Carmel to get classier joints.

Phil's is a local institution like DZ Akins (glorified diner/bakery) is. If you go, the Santee Phil's location is the better one. I dig Chris Ono for some Hawaiian faire, or I go to the neighborhoods like Kensington, University Heights and Northpark, not bar-laden Gaslamp. Gaslamp Strip Club is a hard pass. It's like Sizzler if you cooked your own food. There is always a group letting some kid run amok around the communal grills, tossing all the spices all over the place. Maybe you like a combo of curry, pickles, seasoned salt and hibiscus on your steak, but I don't. Hillcrest is a gay neighborhood, so there are loads of fun places there too.

Cut the crap you two, where do I go for the chicks?! :eusa_dance: :icon_thumleft: :lol2:

Cut the crap you two, where do I go for the chicks?! :eusa_dance: :icon_thumleft: :lol2:

Rustic Root. Go to the rooftop. Every time I have gone there I have done very, very well. There are stories :D

Pool house rooftop bar in gaslamp, my friend and i worked our way in to a group of girls celebrating one of their birthday's. If you like young SD girls with not much going on in the brains dept, that's a spot. Remember your competition are all "bro" dudes with flat brimmed baseball caps and lifted trucks. "Show a little class, get lots of ass"

Pool house rooftop bar in gaslamp, my friend and i worked our way in to a group of girls celebrating one of their birthday's. If you like young SD girls with not much going on in the brains dept, that's a spot. Remember your competition are all "bro" dudes with flat brimmed baseball caps and lifted trucks. "Show a little class, get lots of ass"

Got it. Upgrading the rental car, calling sixt asap lol

Let's see how I do...

When are you going? I might be there that same weekend...

• 3 weeks later...

As far as car spotting goes. The best spot is the Mel's diner or whatever on Sunset. They have valet parking, so its easy to park there. The food is good for a "family" type dinning chain. They have patio seating that is often empty most nights. So its easy to get a patio seat for car spotting. Its burger and fries mostly, but they make a decent burger. And have good deli style sandwiches like a Club House, etc..... For non "fancy" dining and atmosphere it can't be beat deal wise.

Oh for hotels, not much difference between a Marriot residence inn suite and say the Beverly Hills Hilton. I like the Beverly Hills Residence Inn by Marriot.. Recently remodeled, you get a decent suite for around what a room in say Hollywood costs at the Best Western..... Again nice valet parking. Decent bar, etc. Not busy traffic wise. And not a lot of people think Beverly Hills as being not expensive........ I like taking kids there. Its Beverly Hills safety factor. With decent food walking distance. Since its not busy most times of the year. On sites like priceline its the best price in Bevery Hills and West Hollywood, etc..... Its a "boutique" hotel experience.....

http://www.beverlyhillsresidenceinn.com/?g...ASAAEgJl2fD_BwE

At night its much safer for the wife and kids too walk up Beverly Drive at night too get a lousy California Pizza Kitchen snack VS West Hollywood after dark.

I'll be at the Bonaventure downtown until Sunday night for a work conference. Anyone around let me know and maybe we can grab lunch.

Oh for hotels, not much difference between a Marriot residence inn suite and say the Beverly Hills Hilton. I like the Beverly Hills Residence Inn by Marriot.. Recently remodeled, you get a decent suite for around what a room in say Hollywood costs at the Best Western..... Again nice valet parking. Decent bar, etc. Not busy traffic wise. And not a lot of people think Beverly Hills as being not expensive........ I like taking kids there. Its Beverly Hills safety factor. With decent food walking distance. Since its not busy most times of the year. On sites like priceline its the best price in Bevery Hills and West Hollywood, etc..... Its a "boutique" hotel experience.....

http://www.beverlyhillsresidenceinn.com/?g...ASAAEgJl2fD_BwE

At night its much safer for the wife and kids too walk up Beverly Drive at night too get a lousy California Pizza Kitchen snack VS West Hollywood after dark.

Beverly Hills is safe as it gets. I travel LOTS all over the world and it's safe as Monaco. Those 2 city's are probably the safest places there are off the top of my head.

I'll be at the Bonaventure downtown until Sunday night for a work conference. Anyone around let me know and maybe we can grab lunch.

I'm around. Saturday and Sunday both look good for meeting up :icon_super: