Dog owners with dogs that are picky/health issues, Food Choices?

BLK85

I have a dog that is not a picky eater, but my vet things some of his health issues could be tied to food choices. But he also eats everything when we go for walks(grass, sticks, etc.).

Im just curious what other people with similar type dogs and picky eaters feed theirs?

I recently switched to a grain free Taste of The Wild food to see how he does.

What kind of breed is he?

I have family members that make their own dog food (with good result). A mix of ground turkey, ground beef, mixed vegetables; the dog loves it! But as it's small breed it's fairly economical and easy.

My dog has some health issues and requires a specific food to help it from developing bladder stones, but he loves the food (high calorie) Royal Canin Urinary SO.

My late german shepherd ate Blue Buffalo. and he was a super picky eater. We tried a lot of food. Also some other local made Colorado buffalo/deer food

Both dogs on Merrick Texas beef. Doberman had skin issues and switching to all grain free and to this food they have gone away. The pit/lab wasn't picky and didn't have any issues other than she was scared of everything. She has been much better with the grain free diet. I don't know if this has any effect on it but it is what we noticed with her. They aren't gassy dogs but this food has not increased or decreased any gas, thank god :lol2:

I have two great danes, a fox-red lab and a basset/beagle. One of my danes had serious intestinal tract issues at just about a year old and was not really able to eat any kibble and keep it down. He was very underweight no matter how much we fed him (hes a male, was about 120lb at his worst, they should be in the 150-180lb range). I switched him to raw food, at first pre-made stuff from a specialty dog food store that had vegetables mixed in to it and now to pure raw meat/bones (a mix of beef, chicken and turkey) that I buy from the local butcher and he does great. No health issues, his coat is nice and shiny and he now weighs about 160 which is a perfect weight for a male his size. It costs a bit more than feeding him kibble (he eats 4-5lb of raw a day) but well worth it as I am not sure he would be alive today if he had to keep eating kibble. He is a completely different dog since the switch. You do however need to give them bones/chewing stuff frequently as the raw does nothing for their breath or their teeth so they need something to keep the plaque at bay.

The other 3 seem to do great on kibble so I have left them but I highly recommend a switch to raw if your dog is having any kind of issues.

+1 Taste of The Wild. Dobe with skin issues is in good shape with it, and skin issues are only one benefit. Also contributes to solving other allergy-related matters and propensity to develop anal fissures. Pricey, but worth it.

What kind of breed is he?

Pug/Beagle

+1 Taste of The Wild. Dobe with skin issues is in good shape with it, and skin issues are only one benefit. Also contributes to solving other allergy-related matters and propensity to develop anal fissures. Pricey, but worth it.

That makes me feel good that the switch might be worth it. Pretty much everything you mentioned is why Im switching.

• 2 weeks later...
Shoes, carpet, table legs just about anything they can get their mouth on....... j/k Blue Buffalo

Hah. Mine as a pup loved to eat part of our deck. Now the biggest issue is him eating our baby's socks, or my wifes socks. For some reason, socks are like the ultimate treat to him and its terrifying knowing it can block him up. Luckily hes either passed them, or thrown them back up.

Shoes, carpet, table legs just about anything they can get their mouth on....... j/k Blue Buffalo

This is true while we are on our walks.

Another option, albeit high end (much more expensive than Taste of the Wild), is Orijen. Also, Costco sells a food made by the same people as Taste of the Wild, called Kirkland Signature that is grain free for about $30 for 35lbs.