Creatures in your house.....what has surprised you?

cake

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was just posted on a local FB page. Would be interesting to find out if it was actually here, haha.

Slightly OT but highly doubt that's real. Scolopendra gigantea, the largest of the specie, reaches about 14inches on average with some rare cases at 18inches. While never say never, it seems biologically impossible to have one grown to such size. Believe it or not, certain species of Scolopendra are actually farmed in certain parts of Asia for medicinal applications, in particular, various forms of tuberculosis. Ironically, certain constituents of its secretion/venom are being studied to be used as pain killers.

Bats are likely one of the most misunderstood creatures on the planet. While it is true that aside from the vampire-inspired fiction, they are associated with rabies and histoplasmosis; bats are generally more beneficial than harmful. And also believe or not, bat guano from at least 2 species of bats/Chiroptera is also used as medicinal ingredients in Asia.

Slightly OT but highly doubt that's real. Scolopendra gigantea, the largest of the specie, reaches about 14inches on average with some rare cases at 18inches. While never say never, it seems biologically impossible to have one grown to such size. Believe it or not, certain species of Scolopendra are actually farmed in certain parts of Asia for medicinal applications, in particular, various forms of tuberculosis. Ironically, certain constituents of its secretion/venom are being studied to be used as pain killers.

Bats are likely one of the most misunderstood creatures on the planet. While it is true that aside from the vampire-inspired fiction, they are associated with rabies and histoplasmosis; bats are generally more beneficial than harmful. And also believe or not, bat guano from at least 2 species of bats/Chiroptera is also used as medicinal ingredients in Asia.

Bats flying into the home are also great signs in feng shui

Had bats at an apartment in college. They roosted (not sure what you call where they decide to live, but roost sounds good) in between the external siding of the building and the outside wall of my apartment. Bats like to eat tons of insects which was cool since there was a large parking light right outside their (and my) home and central Texas has a shit tion of insects. However as the old saying goes, with much insect eating, comes great gobs of bat poop (scientific term=guano) and that got quite smelly with our shared wall...plus the whole problem with Rabies and what not...anyway, we asked th apartment manager to do something about the bats, and their solution was to spray foam the opening in the siding where the bats got in and out of the wall...except they did it during the day...with the bats inside. So the bats got stuck, eventually died and their poor dead bat bodies added to the bat guano baking in the 105 degree Texas summer heat...we moved pretty soon after that.
In my research I learned that when bats are in hibernation, they don't produce guano. We had a bat sleeping under our deck. Never saw the bat but the guano gave it away.

We were a bit worried if the bat in our dining room started flying around it might be pooping guano around the house - but when they are in hibernation mode (as we believe it was) - their poops look like mouse poops. If they live in your attic (for example) you can tell they are there because there is a pile of what looks like mouse poops under where they sleep. Mice poop is about the same size but obviously scattered here and there. Bat poop piles up because they are generally stationary in hibernation. If you go into your attic in search of bats they may move into a dark crevice or hiding spot - but the poop piles will give them away.

So very true. A tiny percentage of bats are rabid. They are extremely beneficial to control insect populations. We will probably install some bat boxes at the edges of our property (we back to a marsh and golf course) so they have a proper place to live. But there are plenty of dead trees and other habitat, and I know they live around here because at dusk I've seen them flying around the house. I always stop to watch because they are very acrobatic in their flight patterns and cool to watch.

Now that I know more about bats I'll be a lot more relaxed if I encounter one inside again.

If we discover a colony in the attic I now understand when and how to get them out (and not allow them back in) without trapping them inside. There is a way to create a "one-way" door out.

Bat's need to drop to catch air in their wings to start flying. So you create a long vertical mesh "tent" over the opening where they come/go. When they go out - they will drop and fly away. They find their home by smell, so when they try to return they will fly to the opening and search around a little - but they won't know to crawl down 12-18" to find the bottom of the tent opening to crawl back up. At that point they go off to find a new home. This should be done after the young (called Pups) are old enough and developed enough to fly away on their own. Otherwise the mother (who typically has one offspring at a time) will try desperately to get back to her pup which she will nurse until almost full grown - because wings must be fully developed before it can forage for food.

They are fascinating creatures and sorely misunderstood.

Groups = Colonies

Home (where they live) = Roost

Youngster = Pup

We once tried to play badminton very late almost at pitch black.

We hit continuously into bats with our rackets.

Interesting animal truly. Maybe not so much if inside the house.

I'm glad that's probably not real, VCR, although there is an actual photo of a soldier in Vietnam holding one that size out there. I can't imagine running into one of those in the woods. That's nightmare material! Thanks for the info, as well! I had no idea there were so many uses.

Ohh how cute, you guys are scared of spiders :icon_mrgreen: this was sitting in someone's backyard (not mine) New Year Eve, 3.5 meter long :shock:

D6D287EA_B1C3_40D2_AA29_0B8586067C30_3839_0000095D6C309B55_tmp.png

I'm glad that's probably not real, VCR, although there is an actual photo of a soldier in Vietnam holding one that size out there.

These things are actually quite copiously farmed in Vietnam. Perhaps one got away and lived to a ripe old age... So long as people are not genetically modifying them to be huge, I am fine. Although the farm that I visited had a gift shop of some sort that sold toy versions of these things; they are made out of rubber or bamboo and some are the size of the one as pictured above. I wonder if someone is trying to pull a bad joke using one of these toys. And yeah, after visiting the farm, I checked under the bed and every possible dark space in my hotel room 3 times before going to bed.

Ohh how cute, you guys are scared of spiders :icon_mrgreen: this was sitting in someone's backyard (not mine) New Year Eve, 3.5 meter long :shock:
No - I wouldn't want that in my yard.....but.....I can't help but see several pairs of REALLY nice shoes and a couple handbags, maybe a wallet....

(J/K)

It's quite beautiful and I hope it got released to a wild habitat.

No - I wouldn't want that in my yard.....but.....I can't help but see several pairs of REALLY nice shoes and a couple handbags, maybe a wallet....

(J/K)

It's quite beautiful and I hope it got released to a wild habitat.

Yes, the wild habitat, Hermes's leather division :icon_mrgreen:

This is why I love temperate climates! No nasty stuff! Plus, nicer weather is always a good excuse to travel.

It's really a non issue, I've never seen anything in my house or near my house which I thought it was going to kill me on the spot also it's a small price to pay for a continuous summer with perfect driving weather :icon_mrgreen:

It's really a non issue, I've never seen anything in my house or near my house which I thought it was going to kill me on the spot also it's a small price to pay for a continuous summer with perfect driving weather :icon_mrgreen:

In the home of the deadliest snakes and spiders on the planet, perhaps you were lucky :D

In the home of the deadliest snakes and spiders on the planet, perhaps you were lucky :D

I hate snakes with passion along with a bunch of other creepy crawlies but don't believe everything you see and read on the net or TV you'd be as safe as you would anywhere else on this planet :icon_thumleft:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fat...es_in_Australia

The estimated incidence of snakebites annually in Australia is between 3 and 18 per 100,000 with an average mortality rate of 0.03 per 100,000 per year.[4] Between 1979 and 1998 there were 53 deaths from snakes, according to data obtained from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.[5]

Between 1942 and 1950 there were 56 deaths from snakebite recorded in Australia. Of 28 deaths in the 1945-49 period, 18 occurred in Queensland, 6 in New South Wales, 3 in Western Australia and 1 in Tasmania.[6] A Queensland government occupational health publication[7] says that "Snakes are not usually aggressive and do not seek confrontation with humans but may retaliate if provoked. The important thing to remember is to never attempt to catch or kill a snake – most snake bites occur when people are trying to do this."

As for fatal bites from spiders the chances are even lower.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12...alian-bushwalk/

post-7524-1483239584.png

Can you train a crocodile to be house pet? You need to buid that Fortis moat. :D

In Finland it seems that new worst animal in nature is tick. Those are small and jump from lawn and can carry nasty diseases.

Can you train a crocodile to be house pet? You need to buid that Fortis moat. :D

In Finland it seems that new worst animal in nature is tick. Those are small and jump from lawn and can carry nasty diseases.

I am sure you could, you might need to get it braces :icon_mrgreen:

post-7524-1483239584.png

That's cute :D

I haven't seen any gators in my house but see them in and around lakes all the time. We had a call from my sons' school that there was a gator roaming around the fence by the playground and that it was being removed.

rattlesnake

scorpion (lost track, he's probably dead under my couch)

owl (last month)

raccoon (he was my pet, that count?)

tarantula

wasp nest behind painting

black widow jamboree

brown recluses

one ginger with access to my guns

black widow jamboree

Do you live in a rock music venue? :lol2:

I've had human children...do those count?

rattlesnake

scorpion (lost track, he's probably dead under my couch)

owl (last month)

raccoon (he was my pet, that count?)

tarantula

wasp nest behind painting

black widow jamboree

brown recluses

:lol2: