Cquartz paint protection

Allan-Herbie

I have used CQuartz, and a few other ceramic coatings (Wolfgang Über ceramic is another of my faves - have also used Kamikaze Miyabi, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, and Optimum Gloss Coat).

If you are new to the field of ceramic coatings for your cars, you will be amazed at the gloss that they impart to your car's finish. That said, you MUST ensure that the paint is polished/corrected perfectly, and is devoid of any marring, scratches, swirl marks, etc, prior to applying the coating. Once this is done, the coating will bead water like crazy, shine like you would not believe, and last for years (yes, years, in some cases).

The only caveat that I might add, is that some of the carnauba wax purists deride the coatings' looks, saying that it looks "artificial", and "plasticky". The newest ones largely blur this divide, and offer unbelievable gloss, with the deep glow that carnaubas will provide.

Also, there are consumer/prosumer ceramic coatings, and there are professional-detailer-only ones that us plebs can't even purchase.

If you are considering CQuartz, there are a few types: CQuartz, CQuartz UK (designed to withstand harsher/colder environments), and CQuarts Finest (professional-only. There are some pros that state that UK and Finest are pretty damn close in terms of results, though.

This past summer, I did a LP member's (12097) Superleggera with CQuartz UK. Here is a link to the detail:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-brag-t...html?highlight=

This is a link to the detail I did on my own car, a Nero Helene Huracan, done with Wolfgang Über Ceramic:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-brag-t...html?highlight=

A few pics, if you're too lazy to click on the links, LOL:

DSCN4011.jpg

DSCN4038.jpg

DSCN4040.jpg

DSCN4061.jpg

DSCN4062.jpg

DSCN4048.jpg

That detail got featured on Autopia's Facebook page. :)

My car:

DSCN3857.jpg

DSCN3872.jpg

DSCN3877.jpg

DSCN3886.jpg

DSCN3888.jpg

DSCN3899.jpg

If you are applying yourself (and there's no reason not to - coatings are a LITTLE trickier to apply than your run-of-the-mill waxes/sealants, but eminently doable) - I'd try CQuartz UK, Wolfgang Über Ceramic, Kamikaze Miyabi, or Polish Angel Viking Coat (haven't tried this yet, but topped with their new "High Gloss" spray, it's supposed to be other-worldly amazing! It will be my next coating for sure).

If you are getting it done professionally, I'd consider CQuartz Finest, Modesta (can't remember the exact model number, but it is STELLAR), or Kamikaze ISM. Modesta has a limited number of detailers that carry it, but wow - it is truly breathtaking.

Try it - I was sceptical, but now, I'd never go back to a wax or sealant. Good luck in your decision!

The finish on my SL is nothing short of spectacular as is evidenced by the reflection pics that were posted.

As TTBear stated, surface preparation is very important. While he is very modest about his detailing skills,TT is an absolute genius in massaging a paint surface.

I've tried a few on various cars all done professionally and tbh can't tell the difference look wise, also waste of money if you are covering the car in paint protection film.

Was expecting more given the rave reviews, seems to last better though

I use C-Quartz UK on a weekly basis. It always provides stellar results for me. They also make some great car wash soaps and sprays to upkeep the hydrophobic effect and shine.

I've tried a few on various cars all done professionally and tbh can't tell the difference look wise, also waste of money if you are covering the car in paint protection film.

Was expecting more given the rave reviews, seems to last better though

It's not a waste of money if you apply the nanocoating on top of the PPF (which is absolutely fine, and works very well), in which case your car will still gain the benefit of a fantastic (and very noticeable, in my opinion) appearance, as well as being easier to clean, and keep clean! The Huracan above (my car) has full-car PPF coverage, and has a nanocoating applied over top of it.

Perhaps the surface preparation on your cars wasn't perfect? That, of course, is the main determining factor in what your finish will ultimately look like. I can easily spend 30+ hours on a car's paint only, even on a car that isn't too badly messed up, before applying any last step protection.

To each their own, of course. I love the results, in terms of appearance and ease of upkeep.

I use C-Quartz UK on a weekly basis. It always provides stellar results for me. They also make some great car wash soaps and sprays to upkeep the hydrophobic effect and shine.

+1

CarPro makes some phenomenal products - many of them truly innovative!

My detailer is a big proponent of the CQuartz Finest. He works out of our building so I see it on a lot of stuff, from relatively inexpensive cars to exotics. Feels nice and glossy and it does appear to make it very easy to clean the car of bugs, road grime, etc. He spends days preparing the paint before applying. There did appear to be some issue with a Tesla Model X that had PPF applied after CQuartz Finest bubbling.

I still haven't convinced myself to spend that amount of money on something that comes out of an eye dropper, but I'll probably do it on the next car if for no other reason than to try and help save the PPF from getting bugs burned into it. They really do seem to just slide right off when on the coating.

The guy I use locally is applying G Techniq, and he is working closely with Porsche NA on their 918 population that comes to them. He has a close relationship with a local body shop and was having the shop supply him with body panels from local wrecked exotic cars so that he could test all of the coatings back to back, and he said that the G Techniq was above and beyond the others. I don't have personal experience with any of them, but this particular person told me it was the best, and his depth of experience is pretty great.

That is their basic formulation. Their CQuartz UK version is better - it is designed to be applied in, and withstand better, cold conditions.

This is it:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cquartz-uk-...ml#.WGVZDGczXcs

(The Reload stuff is a second, sacrificial layer, that you apply once the coating is cured. You apply it periodically to maintain the coating - it actually works great, but it is tricky to remove without introducing streaks!)

does this stuff hide swirl marks?

It does, but only minimally. It's not really designed for that.

Think of it as a super-sealant/wax. If you apply it over swirl marks, you'll just seal in the swirl marks in a nice glass coating. I know some of the detailer guys on Autopia have been asked to apply a coating on paint that is suboptimally prepared, and from a distance, the car looks great. Up close, however, when you get past the shine, you can still see swirls easily.

It's really meant to apply over paint that has been corrected impeccably.

So this stuff is safe to use on Xpel?

From the XPel web site, in response to the question "Can I apply a ceramic coating on top of the film, and how does it affect the self-healing feature of XPel":

Yes. Ceramic coatings will not harm the film and will not interfere with the self-healing properties of the ULTIMATE or STEALTH paint protection films.

I top XPel with a ceramic coating all the time - it makes cleaning it much, much easier. Coating wheels with a dedicated wheel ceramic coating is a god send - brake dust just rinses away. Same thing with exhaust pipes. Can't say enough positive about the stuff.

We had opticoat professionally applied after paint correction. Put it on all surfaces including over xpel and faces of wheels. Haven't done barrels of wheels because we're not sure if wheel weights will stick. About to have a fourth car done. Very happy with it.

Car stays cleaner, is faster to wash, beard water like crazy and dries faster. Shiny glasses set finish looks great.

I opticoated my car last year... i got the one that lasts 2 years or so just because it was my first time dealing with a coating and in case i didnt like it.

It is a great product and makes cleaning the car that much easier. I had the car detailed beforehand.

Ine thing to note that some people dont like os that ot makes your car shine alot more than a Wax. I would do it again probably in the spring time after i do a little bit more research which product is best currently.

I believe Scotty from this forum is well educated on this topic maybe he can chime in. He was touting a specific product last year i believe.

A detailer was trying to sell me on trying some of this line of stuff, but I didn't know much about it and was afraid it may adhere to the actual paint too much. In other words, how long a treatment lasts & if it needs to be reapplied how that all works in getting the old stuff off without harming the actual paint over time of doing treatments. My wifes 85 MBZ 300D sits outside under a cover, so maybe I will experiment on hers first, ha ha poor wife always gets experimented on.

A detailer was trying to sell me on trying some of this line of stuff, but I didn't know much about it and was afraid it may adhere to the actual paint too much. In other words, how long a treatment lasts & if it needs to be reapplied how that all works in getting the old stuff off without harming the actual paint over time of doing treatments. My wifes 85 MBZ 300D sits outside under a cover, so maybe I will experiment on hers first, ha ha poor wife always gets experimented on.

What other kinds of experiments do you perform on the wife? :icon_mrgreen:

I have cquartz finest on all my cars - this stuff is amazing and lasts forever - put in on the daily Driven RR 3 years ago and still going strong - went on the garage queen 4 years ago and it's still like brand new. Amazing stuff!