2018 GT500

RobberBaron

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new rumors floating around now

http://speedtwitch.com/source-fords-next-s...-v8-powerplant/

Ford’s new 7.0L V8 variant will be built in Canada, and the short blocks for the motor will be sent to FPTC (Ford Performance Technical Center) in Concord for the addition of ‘go-fast’ parts.

This is a win-win for Ford. The Super Duty trucks will receive a 7.0L V8 to replace the aging 6.8L V10 motor, and then Ford will utilize the same short block and forged rotating assembly as a foundation for the new GT500 power plant. I can’t say much more, but know this V8 will feature direct injection, and some seriously high flowing heads and upper intake assembly.

I could go on and on about the liberal use of carbon composite materials, active aero, aluminum and the new 10-speed transmission, but it’s best that we don’t divulge too much. Just know that you will see this car debut sooner than you think.

Holy shit, that would be insane! Screw the TT v8, I want this!!!

A 7.0 liter DOHC V8 would be unprecedented in the domestic street car world.

The biggest DOHC motors out there would be the 6.3L V12 in the F12/LaF and the 6.5L V12 in the Aventador (and if I'm not mistaken the Zonda used an AMG 7.0 V12....don't know what they are using now in Paganis).

Suffice to say this is new territory for a big V8.

It will be interesting to see how they want to play around with the hp/tq figures and the torque curve. With 7.0 liters, 700-730 hp is no big deal, just a question of how much torque you want to go with that.

EDIT: I see claims of 1000 hp in that article and people commenting on that.....that's just not realistic. Just because you can get 1000 hp in an N/A NASCAR race motor does not mean you will get that from an N/A street car motor, and even if you could the torque would fall off a bit.

For reference, a LaF 6.3 V12 bored out to 7.0 liters would only make an extrapolated 876 hp (up from 789 on the combustion side only).

Ford does have a little history with large NA DOHC V8 engines. You just have to look back at the GAA. Completely different animal, but still DOHC and just a tad bigger than 7L.

Ford does have a little history with large NA DOHC V8 engines. You just have to look back at the GAA. Completely different animal, but still DOHC and just a tad bigger than 7L.

11 liters? Haha.

A 7.0 liter DOHC V8 would be unprecedented in the domestic street car world.

The biggest DOHC motors out there would be the 6.3L V12 in the F12/LaF and the 6.5L V12 in the Aventador (and if I'm not mistaken the Zonda used an AMG 7.0 V12....don't know what they are using now in Paganis).

It will be interesting to see how they want to play around with the hp/tq figures and the torque curve. With 7.0 liters, 700-730 hp is no big deal, just a question of how much torque you want to go with that.

EDIT: I see claims of 1000 hp in that article and people commenting on that.....that's just not realistic. Just because you can get 1000 hp in an N/A NASCAR race motor does not mean you will get that from an N/A street car motor, and even if you could the torque would fall off a bit.

For reference, a LaF 6.3 V12 bored out to 7.0 liters would only make an extrapolated 876 hp (up from 789 on the combustion side only).

Zondas, as well as the Mercedes SL73 were 7.3 liter V12's. And the zondas were obviously north of 760. Not sure of the 750hp engine in the One77 is DOHC

Yeah, that's also 100% wrong.

I think half the fun is playing around with the rumors, yeah alot of em are probably wrong but its kind of fun imagining a "What if" set up.

I think half the fun is playing around with the rumors, yeah alot of em are probably wrong but its kind of fun imagining a "What if" set up.

I agree. I really don't care what it is as long as it is fast, badass, and sounds good. I will be buying it regardless of any other details as long as those three boxes are checked. I am hoping the value shoots up like the 350Rs. My dealer told me the GT500 will be more exclusive than the 350R, so we will have to wait and see.