Mid-engined C8 V E T T E

RyanRo24

The long-awaited mid-engine redevelopment. Could be a game-changer, that's for sure. I'll be curious to see what happens to the price. Especially if they make this the base and not a halo-model in tandem with the other models.

Are they going to continue to make a front-engined design as well?

If they only do a mid-engined car, this kinda has the last gen Viper feel to it. Went too far upmarket and cooked the goose.

I guess if they went with a Caddy and Halo Chevy model while contining the base front engine design, I could see it working.

Hello everyone,

I am curious what everyone's thoughts on the upcoming mid-engined C8 are? With the already impressive performance coming from the C7 (notably the Z 0 6), this thing should be a monster!!

Cheers,

RobberBaron

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mid-engine-.../#slide-4420674

80-c8mid_eng_g06_kgp_ed_1_9f4961df0b05f9db3261a1c46ca503eaea8ab85e.jpg

What I'v been told is a price around 150k, no idea if it's still a stick. Probably not. The McClaren is the target for performance.

What I'v been told is a price around 150k, no idea if it's still a stick. Probably not. The McClaren is the target for performance.

Really? That is an interesting move by Chevy. If it has crazy performance and they continue to improve the interior (I think the C7's is great, but I guess not all agree), it will rock the boat. I am excited to see where this goes. I would be bummed if it ends up being some Caddy.

I hope it isn't a Corvette.

Brand it a Caddy or call it something else...but they will burn so many bridges calling it a POS.

And I agree with kinnsella that them pricing it far above current levels will not go well and quickly follow the financial boondoggle that was/is the Viper.

I hope it isn't a Corvette.

Brand it a Caddy or call it something else...but they will burn so many bridges calling it a POS.

And I agree with kinnsella that them pricing it far above current levels will not go well and quickly follow the financial boondoggle that was/is the Viper.

I think the Corvette moniker can be applied if the base front engined car remains.

I like the Caddy idea to an extent......they've never made a true sports car before, so that might be an issue.

The Viper wasn't even a Chrysler or some fabricated luxury brand, simply Dodge.

I think the Corvette moniker can be applied if the base front engined car remains.

I like the Caddy idea to an extent......they've never made a true sports car before, so that might be an issue.

The Viper wasn't even a Chrysler or some fabricated luxury brand, simply Dodge.

While caddy has never made a sports car they did make the cien concept car.

GM is trying to move Cadillac even more upstream. The Corvette was the 4th highest selling sports car last year even above the GTI and WRX. It would be suicide to upset the sales success the brand has by eliminating a 60k car.

With the return of Cadillac to Endurance racing I think the writing is on the wall. Corvette maintains its place, caddy gets a boost.

Why not do both to test the market?

Do a hardcore no thrill sport/track-oriented version, give it a bow-tie and call it a Chevy. Then do one with all the gizmos, gadgets and bells & whistles (luxury sports cruiser?) and call it a Caddy. Not that GM hadn't done it before; remember the Chevy Cavalier and the Caddy Cimarron; or the Opel O'mega and the Caddy Catera. Let's hope they get this one right if they proceed with the idea though.

EDIT: LOL, I see that the filter still stands for the word O'mega (try spelling it the traditional way. :) ).

If they release it as a Corvette, it will sell.

If they release it as a Cadillac, values will tank.

I can understand staying traditional with Corvette and trying something new under Cadillac, makes sense. But I think buyers at that price point for sport cars aren't looking at Cadillac. Could be wrong, but usually that receipe doesn't work for some reason.

With GM and Corvette, you have the branding, the race history, etc. Imagine if Ford tried to release the GT 40 as a Lincoln? Just wouldn't work. Should stay under GM/Corvette.

If they release it as a Corvette, it will sell.

If they release it as a Cadillac, values will tank.

I can understand staying traditional with Corvette and trying something new under Cadillac, makes sense. But I think buyers at that price point for sport cars aren't looking at Cadillac. Could be wrong, but usually that receipe doesn't work for some reason.

With GM and Corvette, you have the branding, the race history, etc. Imagine if Ford tried to release the GT 40 as a Lincoln? Just wouldn't work. Should stay under GM/Corvette.

Ford GT was already linked to Ford, no sense in changing that.

Lincoln has never been raced in endurance racing either while Cadillac had been in LMP, DPi, and GT for many years now. The last time they were in the top class they came out with the cien concept. Now that they are back I expect them to try to capitalize on that.

The LFA did fine afaik, at a higher price point and Lexus is no racing brand.

Only took them a few decades.

I actually disagree with the notion that it should be a Chevy - the brand is not upscale enough to warrant a $150k vehicle where as Cadillac could.

The Sixteen is still one of the most beautiful car designs I have ever seen.

Why not just have it as a new model altogether and not have it associated with being a Corvette? Leave the Corvette where it always has been and bring this new mid engined vehicle in as the ultimate Chevy sports car.

Why not do both to test the market?

Do a hardcore no thrill sport/track-oriented version, give it a bow-tie and call it a Chevy. Then do one with all the gizmos, gadgets and bells & whistles (luxury sports cruiser?) and call it a Caddy. Not that GM hadn't done it before; remember the Chevy Cavalier and the Caddy Cimarron; or the Opel O'mega and the Caddy Catera. Let's hope they get this one right if they proceed with the idea though.

EDIT: LOL, I see that the filter still stands for the word O'mega (try spelling it the traditional way. :) ).

I'm surprised they haven't done this already. It's worked pretty well with the Tahoe/Suburban then introducing the Denali and Escalade lines and those get close to $100k. I don't see any reason they can't do this as a higher end option.