Does dad life = no more Lambo?

Luxeous

I appreciate the input guys, so many good points of view here. I think there are more reasons for me to keep it than not right now - sharing this passion with my son as he gets old enough to understand it would be one of the coolest things ever. I always envisioned this being a car I'd never sell given its significance to me but I honestly just feel bad that I'm not able to drive it more. I think it made me question if this is just normal for 'dad life' or not.

That being said, I know if I saw someone else driving it around in a year I'd be kicking myself for not keeping it.

For those of you without kids, I hope this doesn't scare you away from having any as it honestly is the best thing that's ever happened to me. When he's wanting to go for a ride I'll be one happy dad.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you guys are scaring me into not wanting to have kids lol

I see lots of my friends juggle both, so I don't think it has to be one or the other. but I'm not talking from experience.

I'd have my kids over any material possession in this world :icon_thumleft:

I'd have my kids over any material possession in this world :icon_thumleft:

This guy is spot on! I need to stop wasting time posting, Ill just quote from now on :))

Unless you need the money from the sale of your car to sustain the family, otherwise keep the car. You will absolutely regret selling it. Surely, you have other possessions which you won't "need" and you may find less and less time to devote yourself into those as well due to your child/children. So would you be selling all of those as well? The answer would seem obvious. Keep in mind that you are not trading up and switching into something else altogether. You will lose this because you think this is redundant...for now. It's typical human nature, you never knew how much something or someone means to you until it is gone.

Like others had said, do not force your child/children to join you on your hobby. Let them take their own paths. You will, of course, do your part to encourage them but if they have other thoughts, let them be. Look at it this way, even if your child/children does/do not share your hobby; by keeping your car; at least you still have a cool car to maintain your enthusiasm.

I appreciate the input guys, so many good points of view here. I think there are more reasons for me to keep it than not right now - sharing this passion with my son as he gets old enough to understand it would be one of the coolest things ever. I always envisioned this being a car I'd never sell given its significance to me but I honestly just feel bad that I'm not able to drive it more. I think it made me question if this is just normal for 'dad life' or not.

That being said, I know if I saw someone else driving it around in a year I'd be kicking myself for not keeping it.

For those of you without kids, I hope this doesn't scare you away from having any as it honestly is the best thing that's ever happened to me. When he's wanting to go for a ride I'll be one happy dad.

If you ever need someone to come out and "exercise" the car for you I'll gladly help a brother out :lol2: You can even teach your son how to drive a manual my car :icon_thumleft:

Just because you have kids doesn't mean you need to sell the car. I also wouldn't keep the car just to share my passion with my kid, I'd let them develop their own passions. It seems like you're not utilizing the car enough to justify having it, so it seems logical to sell it, get the money, and put the money to better use since the money is not being utilized to its best use.

Always good to keep the car to use as a release for your own enjoyment. Believe me, having kids, hobbies are always a great thing.

I personally I grew out of sports cars. The kid in me loves driving for leisure. I love and admire sports cars, but I would much rather be stuck with a nice luxury car.

Keep it for now since it was your dream car. Revisit in 1 year and see how you feel, or if the guilty feeling goes away.

In the meantime...can I please put in for dibs on your car (if you decide to sell)? I'll draft up the 1st right of refusal paperwork to send over to you NOW...:icon_mrgreen:

you guys are scaring me into not wanting to have kids lol

I see lots of my friends juggle both, so I don't think it has to be one or the other. but I'm not talking from experience.

It's been years since I've driven any kind of sports/exotic cars. Three kids, one in law school, the other two in high school. Between car pool, crew, tennis, etc, even with a full time driver I still don't have time. The most fun I've had driving recently is a new x6m dd, in the mean time my cars sit in one of my warehouses, I go by once every six months or so to take a look at them and that's it.

Before I got into my 2nd G I knew I'd only have it for a 6~ months. And that's roughly how long I had it.

I was living in dual cities, busy as hell with growing my business and car was in FL. I found myself enjoying a trip twice a month to FL as a treat to drive the car to monthly cars & coffee. While attending car shows, I started having an itch for an Aventador, and that was the initial reason for wanting to sell my car. Shortly after selling, the urge to buy an Aventador started going down. Now I barely spend time in FL, and live dual between Chi & LA. In neither city would I even want to have an exotic.

Even when I had the G in FL, I barely drove it..

I don't even have a kid.

It's been years since I've driven any kind of sports/exotic cars. Three kids, one in law school, the other two in high school. Between car pool, crew, tennis, etc, even with a full time driver I still don't have time. The most fun I've had driving recently is a new x6m dd, in the mean time my cars sit in one of my warehouses, I go by once every six months or so to take a look at them and that's it.

Really? You can't even take one of them to your house and drive that one sports car once every month, for maybe 30-45 minutes, even if it was for a simply "commute" somewhere? I'm not trying to be negative here or annoying, just trying to figure out how difficult it really is to just enjoy one sports car, even if it's in a very irregular manner, vs just looking at them a couple of times a year. I figured the best way to actually get a bit of fun out of them would be to have one sitting pretty at home, just in case, you have that free 30-45 minutes to go and enjoy a bit.

Really? You can't even take one of them to your house and drive that one sports car once every month, for maybe 30-45 minutes, even if it was for a simply "commute" somewhere? I'm not trying to be negative here or annoying, just trying to figure out how difficult it really is to just enjoy one sports car, even if it's in a very irregular manner, vs just looking at them a couple of times a year. I figured the best way to actually get a bit of fun out of them would be to have one sitting pretty at home, just in case, you have that free 30-45 minutes to go and enjoy a bit.

Priorities. Getting an older exotic out for a drive takes time on both ends. It's much easier to not drive when your currency is time. The cars aren't going anywhere.

Curious what's in your warehouse ?

My wife has taken over our garage and my home is under a canopy of 28 mature oak trees. Anything left outside is instantly covered in leaves and sap.

??? I had a car seat. I'm the count act. For 3 years.

Wth dude?

Having children does not equal no Lambo.

However, you have a tough situation since your baby is so young and can't enjoy the car scene yet. Lambo is not the best for baby seats.

As a newly father, you'll be busy with being with your family. On weekends when car events are being held, you may have a conflicting conscience on do I go or stay home and be with family. Guilt will come into play too. Sometime significant others will play guilt trips on you, "I'm staying home and you get to go out and play" mentality.

I say, if you need the money, then sell the car. If you're in hurting for money, then keep the Lambo. If you don't have a second child anytime soon, then you and your wife may have an adult night/date night where taking out the Lambo will be fun.

Although my experience pertains to a corvette and not a lambo, I had a similar quandary when we had our first daughter a few months ago. I ended up getting a nice car seat that works well in the POS and have made a habit of doing morning drives on the weekend with the kid. A large microfiber towel will protect your upholstery, just make sure the carseat bottom doesn't have any sharp edges. It gives Mom a nice break to sleep in and me an excuse to go for a cruise and stop for morning coffee. I usually bring a bottle so I'm not constrained by the usual 2-hour feeding requirement.

Obviously a straight-piped, de-catted V12 probably wouldn't be safe for their small ears, but most cars would do just fine. Do ensure that the passenger airbag is disabled if you go this route.

Well that's just depressing...LOL. Hopefully you at least fire them up once in a while so the poor things get some attention. At least they are there for you when your kids are more independent and you have a little more Me time.

My LP570 was the perfect milk, diaper and grocery getter. With that being said a 4 seater exotic is more appealing now as then the whole family can enjoy the car. If you can afford to keep it then why not. All a matter of figuring out what balance of life works for you.

My LP570 was the perfect milk, diaper and grocery getter. With that being said a 4 seater exotic is more appealing now as then the whole family can enjoy the car. If you can afford to keep it then why not. All a matter of figuring out what balance of life works for you.

A little OT but I agree. The Panamera has become a more appealing car as I've aged :D. I'd trade the lambo for a Ferrari FF .

A little OT but I agree. The Panamera has become a more appealing car as I've aged :D. I'd trade the lambo for a Ferrari FF .

I feel like those are all compromise car's. I don't drive much, two miles to work, then the rest is 99% with family so I prefer to keep my lambo and drive a pos daily that I don't care about. Also living in commiefornia under the radar 99% of the time is good.

I feel like those are all compromise car's. I don't drive much, two miles to work, then the rest is 99% with family so I prefer to keep my lambo and drive a pos daily that I don't care about. Also living in commiefornia under the radar 99% of the time is good.

I agree with that.

Some of you that haven't had children yet and are reading this...may have second thoughts on having children.

To sum up how special it is to become a father.........

The old phrase " I would walk through fire for you" actually has meaning. The love you have for your children cannot be matched.

Some of you that haven't had children yet and are reading this...may have second thoughts on having children.

To sum up how special it is to become a father.........

The old phrase " I would walk through fire for you" actually has meaning. The love you have for your children cannot be matched.

:iamwithstupid:

If you ask someone without kids if they would do over any part of their life, they would probably love to do over any part of it at any time just for fun..

You ask someone with kids, it's impossible to do over any part of your life before them, for fear of never having them. I could never go without my children after having them. As much as I want to waterboard a 5 year old when washing their hair because they are the most unhelpful little shits.. :icon_thumleft: