The upcoming eclipse

Redlambo

This was incredible. It was incredible in the moments before, when it was bright, but dim.. then the totality.. ohmygod.. the corona was so intense. If this didn't impress you... what the hell does??

That's how I feel every time I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror

:icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this didn't impress you... what the hell does??
catching a glimpse of Fortis - and I'd be remiss if I didn't include Cappy!!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Nice photos Kerplop!

That's how I feel every time I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror

In hindsight, I wish I would have looked more. I was messing with the phone, dealing with a bratty eleven year old.. man. I wish I could re-do. April 8th 2024... coming to my town. I'll host! Bring your cars..

Jimmy Chin got a pretty inedible shot of it. Mind you, he is a professional photographer.

False. I will eat it if i want to.

Jet got in the way on one of my shots so i made a little gif out of it.

DgNySim.gif

Spent the weekend in Casper, WY. Was really impressed with the job the town/county did to prepare. The, normally, 4 hour drive to DEN airport took 12 hours, but I (surprisingly) could not have cared less after just seeing a total solar eclipse.

We stayed just under a mile from the projected dead center path of totality, but decided to hike “away” from the center and up a small mountain/giant hill on our AirBNB host’s property. Very glad we did this to get a better view of the “360 degree sunset."

Here are my blurry pictures!

Panoramic iPhone picture at totality(11:44am):

IMG_0052_2.jpg

Totality:

Version_2.jpg

Video of the horizon(looking away from sun) as totality began(1x speed):

You were with a group of people on top of the hill?

Based on the location of the hot air balloon at the time of the eclipse I think that might be where you were.

We talked with a state trooper who mentioned that they were landing a private jet at the airport every two minutes.

Last minute hotels were going for up to $2,500 a night.

We allowed extra travel time, but the traffic from Gillette to Casper was a non issue.

You were with a group of people on top of the hill?

Based on the location of the hot air balloon at the time of the eclipse I think that might be where you were.

We talked with a state trooper who mentioned that they were landing a private jet at the airport every two minutes.

Last minute hotels were going for up to $2,500 a night.

We allowed extra travel time, but the traffic from Gillette to Casper was a non issue.

We were on the south side of Casper, closest landmark (at least as described by the locals) was the the Walmart. There were a handful of us from the AirBNB that made the hike up the hill.

After reading the nightmare scenarios in Oregon, we decided to drive up very early on Saturday morning and were literally the only people on the road. Kept checking the GPS throughout the weekend to see drive times and they all looked normal into Casper. Looked the same way getting out of town and it took 12 hours, so I’m assuming the GPS just was not working like usual for that stretch. How bad was the delay getting into town?

Did you hear all the buzz in Casper about the “Saudi Prince that rented the steakhouse”? haha

We had a blast in Casper WY, at a location called the Barn Loft, it is a working Ranch. To experience this event where livestock, horses, deer and yes antelope play was incredible.

As Totality came closer and closer everything went dead still and quiet, the cows all laid down on the ground, the horses all went inside, coyotes started to howl in the distance, no bird sounds at all. This enhanced our experience of the event, I was so excited I forgot to take many photos, but I tried to be in the moment as long as I could.

My body was definitely reacting to the experience, hair stood up, a sense of something is wrong came over me, but not in a freighting way.

I did set up my iPhone caught a time-lapse of it passing as we all watched, we took a few good shots of the eclipse, but nothing matched viewing it with your naked eye during totality.

Stars came out, the surrounding horizon was like dusk but in a 360 degree view, the night sky was more deep deep purple than black, and seeing the suns corona moving and swirling around the moon was something I will never ever forget.

I did a live radio feed back home to local Radio station 10 min after event, I'm sure I was rambling on as I was still so excited. I haven't listened to it yet as we just got back home late last night.

We went down with our car group, 11 exotics, spent 2 days in Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, Needles highway, Norbeck trail. Then 2 days in Gillette, Devils Tower, Casper to view eclipse etc...

Highway were awesome, did some incredible spirited driving with even more amazing views.

This is the 40th anniversary of Close Encounter of the Third kind so seeing Devils Tower was even more impressive than Mount Rushmore. The people that we encountered could not have been any nicer, everyone was respectful of the cars, took pictures asked questions and we even took some for rides .

here are a few pics

fullsizeoutput_12fe.jpeg

I'm finally done with my time lapse. This isn't the original size, it's too big to upload as the format detail is 9k by 9k pixels, at highest quality and is 300 megs. So here's a 50% smaller version with detail brought down to make it internet friendly. Zoom in and the sun spots are totally visible throughout. On the 9k by 9k there's no booboos, but this one i resized early and there is one layer overlapping. Either way, still neato.

LmXPTMo.jpg