Murcielago Appreciation

RobberBaron

http://bid.txauction.com/2008-Lamborghini-...ansmi_i28137515

40 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago Convertible with Butterfly Doors; 6.5L V12 FI DOHC 48V; Standard Transmission

Currency:USD Category:Vehicles Start Price:130,000.00 USD Estimated At:NA

2008 Lamborghini Murcielago Convertible with Butterfly Doors; 6.5L V12 FI DOHC 48V; Standard Transmission

SOLD

274,000.00USDto f***r

+ applicable fees & taxes.

Chicago Motor Cars Bought it...now on their site at $449K

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts are facts and if you don't like the fact that the 03 had horrible brakes compared to my LP CCB then you can just deal with it lol.

Dude, that's a joke, right? You are really talking about "facts" now??

Here's a fact: You said this, "With my old 03, my brakes sucked," not that they sucked compared to a new version with upgraded brakes.

I already said newer Lambo's have better brakes than older Lambos, and by the way, DUH!. But that doesn't mean the 02-04 brakes suck or, as the other non-credible dude said, a death trap. They get the job done, and we're where they needed to be for the time.

If you can't keep your story and facts straight, then I am forced to think you are like my old boss, and I can't take anything you say seriously. And don't be so offended in the future if you are corrected when spreading lies about other people's cars.

Dude, that's a joke, right? You are really talking about "facts" now??

Here's a fact: You said this, "With my old 03, my brakes sucked," not that they sucked compared to a new version with upgraded brakes.

I already said newer Lambo's have better brakes than older Lambos, and by the way, DUH!. But that doesn't mean the 02-04 brakes suck or, as the other non-credible dude said, a death trap. They get the job done, and we're where they needed to be for the time.

If you can't keep your story and facts straight, then I am forced to think you are like my old boss, and I can't take anything you say seriously. And don't be so offended in the future if you are corrected when spreading lies about other people's cars.

The picture in your profile makes perfect sense now.......

Do me a favor, get laid and I'll let you come back and apologize after you've let off some steam.

Life is short, pipe down and relax. :icon_thumleft:

Had an 03, then an 07, and finally an 04 (all manual transmission). I have fun but don't drive particularly crazy.

I never noticed a difference between any of the brakes; they all worked fine.

I think that you'll be hard-pressed on a street-driven car to find the limits/fading/failure of the early Murcielago brakes.

The 4 pistons are not small in comparison to what they went up against in ’02-’04 but they are underpowered for the Murci's weight and the speed it can attain and that’s where it becomes scary. If you’re the type of person who cruises or hits up cars & coffee type events and calls it a day, 4 piston is fine. If you’re pushing the car, doing highway pulls, repeated heavy braking or track days the 4 piston are dangerous because they go from having good initial bite to instant brake fade, there is no warning of fade. I've never had this experience in another car of this caliber.

To put it in prospective of how the '02-04 brakes are underpowered for the Murci, the ’03-‘06 Viper with 80hp and 600lbs less has Brembo 4 pistons and 355mm calipers. The Viper stops from 100mph in 290 feet and the 2003 Murci does it in 300ft. While a 10 foot gap is massive, that single stop from 60mph or 100mph to 0mph isn't what cripple’s the Murci. It's when the brakes go from slowing the car as expected to not in an instant, once they heat up, that will get you.

My first weekend with my '03 scared the shit out of me when the brakes went from having bite to nothing after a pull. I never had confidence in the early Murci brakes after that and I owned two of them. Both of which received: upgraded pads, regularly changed fluid and made sure the rotors were within spec on a constant basis. It was so bad that I bought the HUGE 405mm Brembos for my '02 and eventually worked with Brembo to develop a 380mm kit so that factory 18" wheels could be retained and larger brakes added.

Here are some good excepts from the EVO long term Murci:

I also discovered early on that the Murciélago was sadly lacking in the brake department. In fact I can honestly say that the middle pedal on my Vauxhall Corsa van had more bite. And while the Murcie’s discs were just about adequate for the road, after a couple of laps on track I’d soon find the brake pedal sinking into the carpet, accompanied by alarmingly little in the way of actual stopping power. So I’m sure you can imagine I wasn’t best pleased when, three months after I took delivery of my Murciélago, the 2005 model appeared with – yep, you guessed it – new callipers borrowed from the Gallardo, totally transforming the car’s stopping abilities.

The Achilles heel of the 2001-2005 Murciélagos is undoubtedly the brakes. Derived from the Diablo 6.0, they are just about adequate for the road, but on track they fade dreadfully. Later Murciélagos benefit from the far superior front calipers and discs from the Gallardo, which transform the car’s stopping power, so upgrading SG54 seemed like an obvious move.

CCB on the other hand … will hurt your chest when you heat them up and you do have to be conscious of what’s behind you when you go hard on the brakes.

Perhaps we need a thread on 6.2 brakes and LP-640 brakes?!?! I don't think the brakes have much to do with the appreciation of these cars.

We’ll have to disagree, I think every element of the cars come into consideration when they are evaluated against their siblings. Its like stick vs egear, 580hp vs 640hp, amazing brakes vs mediocre (removed inflammatory language if thats causing the issue) . I never brought up this point to create any hostility or a debate, simply brought up a less mechanically acceptable aspect of one of critical components that I think matters in evaluation.

Thanks,

Jon

We’ll have to disagree, I think every element of the cars come into consideration when they are evaluated against their siblings. Its like stick vs egear, 580hp vs 640hp, amazing brakes vs mediocre (removed inflammatory language if thats causing the issue) . I never brought up this point to create any hostility or a debate, simply brought up a less mechanically acceptable aspect of one of critical components that I think matters in evaluation.

Thanks,

Jon

No worries. I agree the brakes on the Lp vs. the 6.2 are much better, but I don't think they are much of a factor in the appreciation of the cars. Manual cars are more valuable than E-gear, LP-640s are more valuable than 6.2 cars, later brakes are more desirable when compared to the earlier ones, etc.. I just don't think the brakes are a huge factor when the market is so driven by transmission. Most people who want a manual Murcie will have to buy a 6.2 over the 640 just based on the value differences and the number built. They will have to live with the brakes.

Thanks,

Jon

:iamwithstupid:

The 4 pistons are not small in comparison to what they went up against in ’02-’04 but they are underpowered for the Murci's weight and the speed it can attain and that’s where it becomes scary. If you’re the type of person who cruises or hits up cars & coffee type events and calls it a day, 4 piston is fine. If you’re pushing the car, doing highway pulls, repeated heavy braking or track days the 4 piston are dangerous because they go from having good initial bite to instant brake fade, there is no warning of fade. I've never had this experience in another car of this caliber.

To put it in prospective of how the '02-04 brakes are underpowered for the Murci, the ’03-‘06 Viper with 80hp and 600lbs less has Brembo 4 pistons and 355mm calipers. The Viper stops from 100mph in 290 feet and the 2003 Murci does it in 300ft. While a 10 foot gap is massive, that single stop from 60mph or 100mph to 0mph isn't what cripple’s the Murci. It's when the brakes go from slowing the car as expected to not in an instant, once they heat up, that will get you.

My first weekend with my '03 scared the shit out of me when the brakes went from having bite to nothing after a pull. I never had confidence in the early Murci brakes after that and I owned two of them. Both of which received: upgraded pads, regularly changed fluid and made sure the rotors were within spec on a constant basis. It was so bad that I bought the HUGE 405mm Brembos for my '02 and eventually worked with Brembo to develop a 380mm kit so that factory 18" wheels could be retained and larger brakes added.

Here are some good excepts from the EVO long term Murci:

CCB on the other hand … will hurt your chest when you heat them up and you do have to be conscious of what’s behind you when you go hard on the brakes.

+1000

+1000

If you buy a 14 year old Lamborghini to go racing or do repeated pulls on the freeway like a punk, you're a fool.

Face it, if you want to go really fast, buy a Tesla.

The Diablo 6.0 has the same brakes and the values of those cars are doing just fine. And I'll take what R&T says any day over white out.

2017_10_20_23.31.25.png

I'm going to break down Stimpy's post since he is defending the car he care's about instead of being rational or has never pushed the limits of a Murci.

If you buy a 14 year old Lamborghini to go racing or do repeated pulls on the freeway like a punk, you're a fool.

Not sure why you're singling out 2003 owners.

My personal LP640 on 2012 date code pzeros (in 2017) managed to trap 7mph faster on a non-prepped surface than the world's fastest P100D. The R888R on it now actually allow for grip in first and second gear, so expect that gap to get even bigger.

A stock pre-LP traps around 122mph. So with fairly simple bolt ons all Murci's are able to take down the baddest of Teslas from a roll. Yet the P100D stops in 109ft from 60 per Motortrend.

The Diablo 6.0 has the same brakes and the values of those cars are doing just fine.

381 Diablo 6.0

1,788 pre-LP Murci coupe

1,296 LP Murci coupe

And I'll take what R&T says any day over white out.

Aside from the fact my figures were from R&T. Here's more from R&T:

2007 CCB roadster: 107 ft. from 60mph and 189ft. from 80mph.

Compared to the 2002 coupe in your posting: 122ft from 60 and 213ft from 80mph.

As you can see, the 20mph difference between 60mph and 80mph in stopping distance is significant between the 4 piston and CCB as the difference in stopping distance has nearly doubled. This goes back to that whole thing I was saying about the 4 pistons and brake fade combined with the speed the Murci is able to produce. Throw another 20, 30 or 100mph as the stopping speed (all of which are easily attainable) and that's when the 4 pistons get downright scary.

Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-...roadster-lp640/

Just to be absolutely clear. I think all Murci's will go up in value and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any year. But if I bought another 4 piston car, it would immediately get a big brake kit and the original hardware would go in a box.

The Diablo 6.0 has the same brakes and the values of those cars are doing just fine. And I'll take what R&T says any day over white out.

So you don’t take anyone’s opinion and experience serious expect your own, even when it comes from someone like whiteout.

I don’t understand why you think the name calling is necessary, grow up and knock it off.

I'll settle this.....

You have 2 choices, a 2002 Murci or a 6 pot brake Murci.

You have a major accident happen directly in front of you on the freeway and you are traveling at 80mph.

Your brakes are cold..

Which car would you prefer to be in?

I trust myself with braking and the older cars do brake ok. Is it necessary to change them out, no... Especially once the brakes get heated up I get more confident in them, but I also know I have rolled past more stop signs, street lights, and stop markers in my 2002-2003 cars then any other car I have ever driven. No matter how hard I press the pedal the car keeps rolling. You absolutely need to adjust your driving for the cold brakes in an early murci. It is the only car I have ever felt like I just might not stop in time. That being said I know exactly where whiteout is coming from.

• 4 months later...
My 2 cents...

First off, I sold my 2008 LP640 VI GATED 6 speed car today for FULL asking price of $375K. It will soon be living in Newport Beach with a pretty good collection of other high end collectible cars.

http://www.catsexotics.com/vehicle-details...-wa-id-15340478

As for my LP670-4SV Stick car, it currently has over 25K on the clock and is in MINT MINT MINT condition.

My last LEGIT offer for the car was $800K from a pretty well know collector. I did not accept as the car is NOT for sale and can NOT be replaced. My kids can do what they will with it after I am gone.

I now have in stock a low mile 2009 Stick LP640 roadster and just bought and will be inbound shortly a 2008 LP640 Stick Roadster.

I thinik, as far as cars that CAN be bought, the list is this

LP670-4SV E Gear (both stick cars are NOT for sale).

LP640 Roadster Stick (only 4 made for 08 and four for 09)

LP640 Coupe Stick

LP640 E Gear Roadster

LP640 E Gear Coupe

02-03 Stick 6.2 cars

04-06 Stick 6.2 cars

04-06 E Gear 6.2 cars

Just to be absolutely clear. I think all Murci's will go up in value and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any year. But if I bought another 4 piston car, it would immediately get a big brake kit and the original hardware would go in a box.

I love my Diablo and would not swap it for any other Lamborghini. Or any other car for that matter. But I do notice a significant difference in braking compared to my Murcie and have often wished the Diablo was stronger in that regard. As it seems the early Murcie has the same brakes as the Diablo my question is - Does this big brake kit fit a 6 litre?

If so - who supplies? Cost? Do the discs have to be changed or is it just calipers? What else might be involved e.g. plumbing, brackets etc. All advice appreciated.

With regard to the discussion. There is no doubt in my mind that 6 pot stops better than 4 pot. 6 pot instills far greater driver confidence.

I love my Diablo and would not swap it for any other Lamborghini. Or any other car for that matter. But I do notice a significant difference in braking compared to my Murcie and have often wished the Diablo was stronger in that regard. As it seems the early Murcie has the same brakes as the Diablo my question is - Does this big brake kit fit a 6 litre?

If so - who supplies? Cost? Do the discs have to be changed or is it just calipers? What else might be involved e.g. plumbing, brackets etc. All advice appreciated.

With regard to the discussion. There is no doubt in my mind that 6 pot stops better than 4 pot. 6 pot instills far greater driver confidence.

I did the BBK from Brembo on my Diablo. Huge difference. IIRC...you would have to switch out both rotors and calipers. Believe brackets and hose were provided. Maybe even have to go 18" on the wheels for clearance.

Brembo makes two big brake kits for the 6.0, a 380mm and 405mm version. Both kits replace the discs, pads, calipers, brackets and lines. The 380mm kit might fit the 6.0 wheels, but will clear most one piece 18" wheels and the 405mm version requires 20" front wheels.

Hey Roy, what are your thoughts about a 40th anniversary edition, mint 2 owner car?

Ange

Great car with a love it our hate it paint color. nothing mechanical different, all just cosmetics changed for the car.

OF course every single one is a Manual gated car, so thats a plus.

Hard to find one complete with the special factory car cover and the CF brief case for the car.

I'll settle this.....

You have a major accident happen directly in front of you on the freeway and you are traveling at 80mph.

Your brakes are cold..

I trust myself with braking and the older cars do brake ok. Is it necessary to change them out, no... Especially once the brakes get heated up I get more confident in them, but I also know I have rolled past more stop signs, street lights, and stop markers in my 2002-2003 cars then any other car I have ever driven. No matter how hard I press the pedal the car keeps rolling. You absolutely need to adjust your driving for the cold brakes in an early murci. It is the only car I have ever felt like I just might not stop in time. That being said I know exactly where whiteout is coming from.

Hmmmm check your brakes as I certainly dont have that issue.

Hmmmm check your brakes as I certainly dont have that issue.

You drive like a pussy , will never have brake issues even with POS countach

I'll settle this.....

Your brakes are cold..

Hmm.. Let's see, do I want the 18 wheeler behind me running over me in a 2002 Murci, or a 6 pot brake Murci....Hmmm....

You need to put your phone down and pay attention while you're driving.