1999 Lamborghini Diablo SV

Double

Bought this a year ago September. Finished just in time for this year's South Florida Exotic Car Toy rally.

1999 Diablo SV. Right now has around 6400 miles. Originally blue, painted Black 13+ years ago. I changed the interior to Black, did a ton of maintenance/repairs/upkeep, rebuilt the shocks, changed the interior and steering wheel, changed the wheels, rearview mirror is now a screen for the reverse camera, Huracan Mimas wheels, rear bumper delete, wing delete, changed the taillights and center net to Diablo GT, MS Racing exhaust/new tips, cat-delete. I'm probably missing a bunch of things.

Really happy with it today.

20171202_110520.jpg

20171202_142324.jpg

20171202_142410.jpg

Attach72668_20171130_152431.jpg

Attach72756_20171130_184949.jpg

Attach72680_20171130_154653.jpg

Attach72681_20171130_154653.jpg

Attach72682_20171130_154653.jpg

Attach72749_20171130_184753.jpg

Attach72750_20171130_184753.jpg

Attach72751_20171130_184949.jpg

Attach72753_20171130_184949.jpg

Attach72754_20171130_184949.jpg

Attach72755_20171130_184949.jpg

Great looking car except the wheels, at least in the photos, IMO they don’t work also it sits too high at the rear I think it’s a combination of the wheels and lack of rear bumper but the only thing that matters is that you like it :icon_thumleft:

Appreciate the critique so long as it's not a straight-up crass insult. But I think that all of this about the wheels being 'too big' as-well as issues with the wing/bumper, are due to what people are used to seeing and therefore comfortable with. Many times, a new car will come out and I'll initially not like the styling. But then it grows on me. Given how quiet this forum has become, there's not alot being with Diablo's, these days. So something very out of the norm meets with initial hesitation.

In-terms of commitment to the form, Gandini designed Diablo without a rear bumper AND without a wing. From the side view - you can clearly see how all of the angles work together - without them. But crash-testing required the bumper and that huge aesthetic aberration was hung on the ass like a bad Kardashian butt enlargement. The desire to further the vehicle's already-extreme design coupled with the fact that Countach had one, plopped the generally useless wing on the back as-well. People are used to these because that's all that they've (mostly) seen. However there's no doubt that the design of the vehicle is purer - without these.

These are the stock size (not width) wheels from a Huracan - a vehicle with similar overall dimensions to Diablo. So if the wheels work size-wise on that vehicle, then they should also be acceptable on this in-terms of size (20").

The rear ride height is an illusion created by the lack of wing and bumper - coupled with particular camera angles. While the OD of these wheels/tires is larger than original, the vehicle has been lowered - so any possible increase in ride height is negligible (if at-all).

I stil have all of the original parts - including the wheels and even the interior - for some day in the far future when this crosses the Barrett-Jackson auction block. Being one of only 16 SV's with an SV-R engine, it will be a big money car someday. But for now - I want to enjoy it by my definition. I've had 3 Murcielago's. The Aventador is a dime-a-dozen here in South Florida and I can't get past that claustrophobic interior with that low windshield height. So I knew that it would be Diablo, just glad that I was able to get this one.

Oh - and here's how it looked the day I got it, all disco'd out with the early 2000's 6" lip Asanti's.

99_SV_4.jpg

I hardly doubt that this car has a SVR engine.

From MY98 they started with the Valve timing management engines, so why should they put old engines in a MY99?

Also XLA12262 has a VTM engine, see attached.

It´s one of many myths which people and owners excogitate to make their cars more valuable...

Btw i own Lamborghini Diablo SV MY99 too, one of the earliest MY99 SV exists.

How do you determine whether your sv has an svr engine?

Lamborghini_Diablo_SV_12.jpg

How do you determine whether your sv has an svr engine?

Ordered an intake manifold kit three times and it kept coming in wrong. Finally the factory researched the VIN and told the dealer (parts manager) that 16 cars were made with SV-R engines in 1999. Pretty unbelievable given all that goes into 'certifying' a vehicle for sale in a given country. But this was before Audi and Lamborghini was a more boutique company. They wouldn't just shelve or scrap 16 new engines that were just sitting, so they stuck them in cars.

Lamborghini has since changed how you order an intake manifold kit for 1999 Diablo. They ask for engine numbers now.

I hardly doubt that this car has a SVR engine.

It´s one of many myths which people and owners excogitate to make their cars more valuable...

Your words 'hardly doubt' do not make clear your position, but given the overall tone of your post I'll assume that you feel that what I've written is untrue. However other than conjecture, you've provided no proof to the contrary.

I am providing you with my actual experience as well as the words of the franchised Lamborghini dealer who sold the parts. He would have no reason to lie about what the factory told him. I'm not selling my car now nor any time soon, so at this point the selling price is meaningless to me. I'm merely sharing something interesting on an otherwise very boring board (of-late).

Love it man, congrats on it finally being ready to roll! Car looks absolutely sinister. Enjoy it! :)

Not sure if you know that, but during MY99 Diablo production (from XLA12200 // engine number 2219) they changed something on the airintake and engine heads.

Maybe your mechanic had troubles because of this reason.

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.01.00

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.01.01

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.02.00

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.02.01

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.03.00

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.03.02

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.04.00

https://www.bullstuff.com/lamborghini-parts...wd-usa/11.04.02

Your words 'hardly doubt' do not make clear your position, but given the overall tone of your post I'll assume that you feel that what I've written is untrue. However other than conjecture, you've provided no proof to the contrary.

I am providing you with my actual experience as well as the words of the franchised Lamborghini dealer who sold the parts. He would have no reason to lie about what the factory told him. I'm not selling my car now nor any time soon, so at this point the selling price is meaningless to me. I'm merely sharing something interesting on an otherwise very boring board (of-late).

Thank-you for all of this. I wouldn't want to perpetuate a lie about my car. I'm going to investigate further.

It is not an SV-R motor. Many people think first year of the VVT motor was 99. It's not -1998 was. Personally I prefer the pop up lights over the fixed units and I prefer the wing. Inmo.Diablos need deep dish wheels. That being said the car looks very clean and the only one who needs to like it is you. Comgrats

Thank-you for all of this. I wouldn't want to perpetuate a lie about my car. I'm going to investigate further.

Howard, SVR motor or not, I'm glad you finally found your unicorn.

It is not an SV-R motor. Many people think first year of the VVT motor was 99. It's not -1998 was. Personally I prefer the pop up lights over the fixed units and I prefer the wing. Inmo.Diablos need deep dish wheels. That being said the car looks very clean and the only one who needs to like it is you. Comgrats

Yeah I like the pop-up headlights too; more sleek looking, no doubt. But I really wanted this dash, otherwise I'd have just gone with an early Diablo for alot less $.

All of these mods I did - understand that I just wanted to do something really different without the gaudiness that the Japanese tuners do to Diablo. I wanted Lamborghini parts and stylings. I have all of the original parts and either all at once or over time will change things back, just wanted something really different for now.

As for the wheels - well I had to see if I could do it. This is the hardest wheel fitment that I've ever heard of. Front wheels had to have the pad shaved down to the very minimum safe level and wheels are still right at the fender edges; I'd have preferred them 1/2" inboard. Had to weld then re-drill for bolt pattern. Rear wheels even harder: hubcentric spacer/adaptors to add offset plus change the bolt pattern was the easy part. But we had to make the wheels 1 1/2" wider. That's a feat. Notwithstanding getting a set of Mimas wheels. It all worked out though; rides perfectly smooth.

On their own - I love them with those skinny, angular spokes. They show the brakes beautifully - better than any Diablo wheel style could. So to me they're very exotic. But I will admit that the first time I saw them actually on the car, I was like WTF. I'm good now and going to stay with them for awhile. Have both SV wheels and even LP670SV wheels which are a straight bolt-on, so there are options down the road.

Oh - and Allan - your buddy Marco did some nice work on the car including cleaning the injectors plus some other tuning. He saved me having to buy some injectors. He talked about the things you guys did with your last SV.