Drove the Mclaren 720S !

Allan-Herbie

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes, stock for stock, 12c spider pulls on Performante, have to edit and upload video....

not stock for stock....

yes, stock for stock, 12c spider pulls on Performante, have to edit and upload video....

was that from a roll?

i thought the P is faster in the 1/4 mile? on the road course it will beat all 4 models!

was that from a roll?

i thought the P is faster in the 1/4 mile? on the road course it will beat all 4 models!

FikseSTS has access to a Performante that would lose a race to a 3 wheel McLaren :icon_mrgreen:

yea, roll race, was close.... I ran 10.2 @ 135 MPH in my stock 12C coupe....

was that from a roll?

:) I'll get a good time out a Perf soon.....

FikseSTS has access to a Performante that would lose a race to a 3 wheel McLaren :icon_mrgreen:

stock, no tune....

after the tune it ran 10.1 @ 138 MPH...

Brooks, was that "stock" with a +125hp tune? Or did the Alpha tune and drag radials net you .1 seconds?

These Mclarens are quick like rockets. Must admit, 720s is growing on me. Think matte black would look killer and tone down the eye socket issue.

I didn’t have access to a Vbox when I drove a 720S and there were no performance reviews yet but It was far and away the quickest stock car I’ve driven. Pulled and pulled and didn’t let up. Felt like organs were getting flattened. We now know on 100 octane it’ll run 9.7x at 147 mph. Insanity.

I didn’t have access to a Vbox when I drove a 720S and there were no performance reviews yet but It was far and away the quickest stock car I’ve driven. Pulled and pulled and didn’t let up. Felt like organs were getting flattened. We now know on 100 octane it’ll run 9.7x at 147 mph. Insanity.

How is the turbo lag?

How is the turbo lag?

So smooth you don’t really even think about that. It gets up and goes. Sometimes if you floor a turbo car and you don’t hear the LOUD noise of a NA car, people think that its got lag and not moving...definitely sneaky with windows up.

It has a lot to do with gearing and being that all the new cars are DCT, lag is almost a non issue now. You can actually go huge silly turbos pretty easy now as you can just downshift to the gear you want in an instant and then you never come out of boost if your accelerating.

I noticed this on when comparing my TT Gallardo and TT Huracan, the huracan will pull more G’s faster without lag as you can just shift so much faster to the gear you want to be in. Example is if I hit the gas at 50mph in my old TT Gallardo and you look at a VBOX graph compared to the same in my TT Huracan now, it just pins you back better and constant.

IN SHORT: DCT has changed the thoughts of turbo lag across the board.

Thank you for the feedback, the reason I asked was because I’ve experienced pretty bad turbo lag in a 650S, I swapped cars with a friend, he wanted to experience my GT4 and I didn’t mind having a go in his Mac, I wasn’t really used to the car and I accelerated to enter into a roundabout a bit late so I pushed it a bit harder than you normally would I didn’t realize that it wasn’t in boost yet, when the boost kicked in I ended up going sideways, that was quite a scary WTF did it just happen moment LOL

I then played with the car a bit more in straight line this time haha just to get a feel of when the boost kicks in and I certainly felt a lot of lag before all hell broke loose, good to know the 720S feels different, looking forward to a test drive.

Less lag than a 650, far less lag than a 570 which really wants you to be above 4000-5000 rpm. Obviously like any car, even including hybrids/NA you’ll get the best performance being in the meat of the rev range. Turbos just have a tendency to be less linear and this thing is capable of a 5 second (perhaps sub 5 on 100 octane and with Brooks at the wheel) 60-130 pull so it will scramble your brain. You need to have your whits about you.

Also now that you’ve driven a 650 and felt the lag/bang of the turbos just keep that in mind. Normal turbos (non hybrids) will always feel different from a NA, that’s part of their charm if done right. 720 is as close to no lag as you can experience right now with a turbo. Interestingly though you are so well insulated and comfortable that the speed can also sneak up on you. I think the convertible will correct this and be hugely desirable. The LT version will rewrite the record books.

I DD a TT V8 the C63s there is almost no turbo lag to speak off, there is a huge surge of power after 3000 rpm but it’s very linear to that point, the only issue with the C is the gearbox, it’s pretty crappy, I wish it had a DCT.

I will test a 720S, I am sure the LT will be off the charts fast.

I think both MB and BMW engine designs have the turbos in between the cylinders, what they call a hot V. At least I know MB does. It’s a really interesting design. Definitely improves packaging and eliminates lag. Have you driven the E63S yet? It’s tremendous! I’m incredibly tempted by the car.

I think both MB and BMW engine designs have the turbos in between the cylinders, what they call a hot V. At least I know MB does. It’s a really interesting design. Definitely improves packaging and eliminates lag. Have you driven the E63S yet? It’s tremendous! I’m incredibly tempted by the car.

You are right the turbos are on top in between the cylinders.

Drove the E63s, it’s fantastic, I would’ve ordered one but I like station wagons as a DD and they aren’t bringing it here in a wagon unfortunately, I specially requested one but the order was rejected, aparantely they had a hard time selling the last model in a wagon and now they are refusing to bring them in that body shape :( you should definetly go for it if you are tempted.

You are right the turbos are on top in between the cylinders.

Drove the E63s, it’s fantastic, I would’ve ordered one but I like station wagons as a DD and they aren’t bringing it here in a wagon unfortunately, I specially requested one but the order was rejected, aparantely they had a hard time selling the last model in a wagon and now they are refusing to bring them in that body shape :( you should definetly go for it if you are tempted.

That is what Audi did to us in the states with the RS6 Avant. They would sell every single one of them, but they still won't bring it. MB still lets us have the E class wagon with the big motor though.

That is what Audi did to us in the states with the RS6 Avant. They would sell every single one of them, but they still won't bring it. MB still lets us have the E class wagon with the big motor though.

It wasn't just the RS6. Audi stopped bringing ANY of the wagons to the US. With the exception of the All Road..... Ironically MB still brings the E63S wagon here, as there are a couple around where I live. I too was a HUGE fan of the RS Avants of past.

maybe MB is holding back the power, or smoothing the surge so you think there is less lag?

I DD a TT V8 the C63s there is almost no turbo lag to speak off, there is a huge surge of power after 3000 rpm but it’s very linear to that point, the only issue with the C is the gearbox, it’s pretty crappy, I wish it had a DCT.

I will test a 720S, I am sure the LT will be off the charts fast.

10.2 with R888 and 10.5 with OEM tires, both at 135 MPH plus which is more than the Perf does...

When you ran the 10.2 was it on stock tires or R888’s?