Drove the Mclaren 720S !

Allan-Herbie

maybe MB is holding back the power, or smoothing the surge so you think there is less lag?

Could be, my mechanical prowess starts and ends at checking my tire pressure LOL.

I have no idea what they do, all I know is that it feels linear.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10.2 with R888 and 10.5 with OEM tires, both at 135 MPH plus which is more than the Perf does...

With that 17 year old you posted running 10.5 @ 134 and change mph, I would imagine with you behind the wheel of that Performance on a perfect day, you could probably hit 135 or 136mph. Even still, the 650s will smoke it, and the 720s is on another planet in terms of straight line performance.

I was supposed to drive a Perf at the track next week, I would guess 10.25 @ 135 MPH, but the guy wants to go Friday and I'll be at the 1/2 mile event with the 720s, so he'll be going by himself, and I don't think he's ever done it before....

With that 17 year old you posted running 10.5 @ 134 and change mph, I would imagine with you behind the wheel of that Performance on a perfect day, you could probably hit 135 or 136mph. Even still, the 650s will smoke it, and the 720s is on another planet in terms of straight line performance.

Cant wait to see what you’ll do in the half mile with this cooler weather. I’m thinking 178 mph.

Extra interesting if you can get some 100 octane fuel to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Cant wait to see what you’ll do in the half mile with this cooler weather. I’m thinking 178 mph.

Extra interesting if you can get some 100 octane fuel to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

I think he will be faster than 190 in the 1/2 mile in the 720S in cool weather. This is a 1/2 mile race in my 570S. My car does have a cat delete and tune but otherwise stock. My car is doing 176-182 mph depending on the launch and how much my tires spin or if someone leaves the start before I am at full boost. Realize this is also probably my third time ever launching my car...so I am still a rookie at it. Note beeping is from me letting out a little too much tire pressure in the rear tires (was at 24 PSI). I need to keep it over 26 PSI to not have the computer tell me low air in a particular tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECXwyO0y538

P1’s trap 180mph in the half mile so not sure how that’s possible unless your tune is adding 150 hp (in which case good work :)) I’ve seen stock 570’s trap low 160’s at best. Usually high 150’s.

Are you using Vbox? I caution you to ignore your 570’s speedo, they’re incredibly optimistic.

I have done 174 MPH on the vbox, but I think the measuring equipment at the runway will read a bit lower...

P1’s trap 180mph in the half mile so not sure how that’s possible unless your tune is adding 150 hp (in which case good work :)) I’ve seen stock 570’s trap low 160’s at best. Usually high 150’s.

Are you using Vbox? I caution you to ignore your 570’s speedo, they’re incredibly optimistic.

We did a conservative tune on 91 octane and added 100 whp. I only have 1,700 miles on my car so I did not want to go too aggressive on the tune. The speedo then could be off. I was considering purchasing a Vbox but doubt I would use it often. Car is still by far the best and most exciting car I have driven from a casual drive around town to tracking it. I can not say enough about the car. The exhaust and tune is what makes this car complete.

I have done 174 MPH on the vbox, but I think the measuring equipment at the runway will read a bit lower...

Is your speedo reading 174 as well? I am wondering how off my speedo might possibly be. I know the 720S is faster than mine. Not a big deal either way. Still wicked quick no matter what speed the McLaren cars are going.

720S's speedo's are much closer than 570S's. Many 570S speedos are up to 10% off. There are threads on Mclaren life about this. Owners thinking about a class action lawsuit because it also effects the odometer and people with leases are being cheated out of miles. So if you read 178 mph it could be anywhere between 160-170 mph depending upon how much your's is off.

GTRs have a distinct sound. Not exotic if you ask me but not horrible. It’s a low rpm sound. You have to add lots of rpms and external wastegates to sound good.

V6. Less cylinders less explosions / rpm = lower note. Compared to plane crank V8 it has 3/4 lower pitch at any given rpm and compared to V10 it has only 3/5 pitch.

Thats why those japanese small 4 cylinder engines with fart cans produce so much obnoxious bass.

I did 168.98 in the 1/2 mile spinning for a while, sometimes I had to let off, the surface was terrible, 918 Spyder was consistently about 1.2 MPH higher, the 720 was gaining on the back 1/2, I was picking up 35 MPH vs 30 MPH for the 918, but not nearly enough to catch the AWD advantage from a dig...

All about traction at these speeds. Ceiling for 918 is ~175 mph. Ceiling for 720 under better conditions is slightly higher in my estimation.

V6. Less cylinders less explosions / rpm = lower note. Compared to plane crank V8 it has 3/4 lower pitch at any given rpm and compared to V10 it has only 3/5 pitch.

Thats why those japanese small 4 cylinder engines with fart cans produce so much obnoxious bass.

A 6 cylinder and a 12 cylinder tend to related when it comes to fundamental tone, only an issue of extracting it from the 6 cylinder with cylinder arrangement (Inline versus Vee, vee angles), firing order, etc. Then there's the cross plane versus flat plane crank angle as well.

It's why 4 cylinder engines and flat plane crank V8s tend to sound similar, as opposed to 4 cylinder and cross plane V8s.

A BMW M1 race car, Dino 246/Lancia Stratos V6, tuned 911 RSRs sound really good and unlike most 6s....the GTR I haven't studied too closely why it doesn't sound all that good, but merely being a 6 doesn't sentence it to death.

Compare and contrast the various V10s that are out there -- Viper, Gallardo/Hurcan, Carrera GT, LFA.

Cylinder count is part of it, but not all.

• 2 weeks later...
turns out the 918 I raced was tuned, not stock....

I’ve never heard of an actual tuned 918. Also I’ve seen 918’s put down 175 in the half mile. Maybe that guy should get his money back if that’s true lol.

obviously different days, weather, runways and timing equipment matters... either way, he said Vivid tuned it....

I’ve never heard of an actual tuned 918. Also I’ve seen 918’s put down 175 in the half mile. Maybe that guy should get his money back if that’s true lol.