Property Dispute - What would you do?

Boner

The only thing that would worry me about paying for the pipe would be the precedent you set going forward. I understand the "its only 1500, its a blessing pay it and move on", but that sets the tone going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would give a final outcome on the deal, just because I think its funny. I kindly told him I would pay for my portion if they pulled me a spare line in AND the final quote was in writing. I noticed the locate services were flagging utilities, so I assumed he hired someone yet I had no contract. Nothing.

I called him and asked him about it. And yes...he hired it out and wasnt pulling spares in. He also didnt show me a contract with a set price. I had the director of public works (I know him) call the boring company to find out what was happening and they said they would be able to pull his lines in without affecting me. Nevertheless, someone failed to tell me I didnt need to pay.

I dont have a problem paying what is due, but this is an example of why you cant really trust people.

The kicker is that I saw the lines today. They are 1.5" flex pipe inside of a solid 4" PVC sleeve! Massive amounts of space! The run was only 200' and only had one 90 degree at then end. The idiots could have easily pulled a new pipe in. There are tons of creative ways to do this.

Oh well...Its not my money...but could have been...