Self employed / heath insurance

Luxeous

question for those of you who are self employed - is there a better option for health insurance than obamacare? We have Blue Shield here in CA and now that we had our second child our premium rose to $1,700 a month. The kicker is we have never even used the insurance other than routine yearly exams and (obviously) having children. Are there other options or is this the new norm?

You're kinda screwed. That said, were you on Piuma Rd last week?

Family is expensive. We have BCBS and it’s not bad. If you don’t use much insurance get an HSA plan with as high a deductible as possible which disproportionately lowers the premium, plus the $ you put into the HSA is tax deductible. I never touch mine and use it as a small tax free savings.

Family is expensive. We have BCBS and it’s not bad. If you don’t use much insurance get an HSA plan with as high a deductible as possible which disproportionately lowers the premium, plus the $ you put into the HSA is tax deductible. I never touch mine and use it as a small tax free savings.

:iamwithstupid: HSA is the way to go!

lux, if you need a good agent in CA let me know..

Bill, if you're not too busy, can you elaborate on the HSA? Sounds like an interesting idea.

C

If there's something appreciably better I haven't found it yet. I have a small business (under 15 employees) and we just switched from a grandfathered Humana plan to Blue Cross/Blue Shield gold plan. The coverage was better and rates sound similar to what you mentioned, for Family $1721, Employee/Spouse $1147 and Employee Only $573.

The HSA thing Bill mentioned is that you find an HSA plan, contribute up to $3,400 a year to it, and it decreases your taxable income (line 25 on your 1040), use it for your medical expenses.

You're kinda screwed. That said, were you on Piuma Rd last week?

Haha yep, that'd be me.

If there's something appreciably better I haven't found it yet. I have a small business (under 15 employees) and we just switched from a grandfathered Humana plan to Blue Cross/Blue Shield gold plan. The coverage was better and rates sound similar to what you mentioned, for Family $1721, Employee/Spouse $1147 and Employee Only $573.

The HSA thing Bill mentioned is that you find an HSA plan, contribute up to $3,400 a year to it, and it decreases your taxable income (line 25 on your 1040), use it for your medical expenses.

HSA definitely sounds interesting - I feel like with how little I actually use it right now a high deductible isn't really that big of a deal. We've just kept our 0 deductible plan because I didn't want to have to worry about it if something came up. at $1700 a month though it just seems a little overbearing considering it's rarely used.

Yes that'd be awesome - would at least like to see if they can do something better than what we have right now. Can you PM me their details?

for Family $1721, Employee/Spouse $1147 and Employee Only $573.

Are these figures monthly? If so that’s insane!

Are these figures monthly? If so that’s insane!

Oh yeah, that's par for the course in the US these days. Obama royally fucked us all (anyone with two nickles to rub together anyway) in the wallet with that one.

Oh yeah, that's par for the course in the US these days. Obama royally fucked us all (anyone with two nickles to rub together anyway) in the wallet with that one.

God damn, I will never complain about pay double for cars here at least that’s optional.

I feel bad for you guys having to pay so much.

God damn, I will never complain about pay double for cars here at least that’s optional.

It’s 20 grand a year (12k after tax with HSA). What car DON’T you pay 20k more than we do? :icon_butt:

question for those of you who are self employed - is there a better option for health insurance than obamacare? We have Blue Shield here in CA and now that we had our second child our premium rose to $1,700 a month. The kicker is we have never even used the insurance other than routine yearly exams and (obviously) having children. Are there other options or is this the new norm?

Count your blessings. I know several people - family of 2 - 1 child - paying $2,800 per month.

I get health insurance through my wife's company (Merrill Lynch) who pays for 1/2 the premium. We have a premium policy, the most expensive you can opt for. We pay just over $1,000 a month so with Merrill's match for just the 2 of us comes in at about $24,000 a year.

The only country on the planet where you can go bankrupt from medical bills.

Count your blessings. I know several people - family of 2 - 1 child - paying $2,800 per month.

I get health insurance through my wife's company (Merrill Lynch) who pays for 1/2 the premium. We have a premium policy, the most expensive you can opt for. We pay just over $1,000 a month so with Merrill's match for just the 2 of us comes in at about $24,000 a year.

The only country on the planet where you can go bankrupt from medical bills.

:iamwithstupid: Thankful my wife works for a Fortune 500.

Yes I pay about $100,000 USD per year for my employees to have health insurance. I’m still doing OK for sure, but it is a big one. Building rent and other benefits like 401k are the non-salary big ones. And the deductible is still significant maybe $2000 a year. Co-pays are like $30 a visit. What is it like across the pond?

It’s 20 grand a year (12k after tax with HSA). What car DON’T you pay 20k more than we do? :icon_butt:

All our cars are double so it’s easy to figure it out, ok so the tax on the SV was a bit over $500k from memory so I could’ve paid for 41 years of insurance LOL ok you win.

The tax on the Performante that’s coming this month could pay for another 25 years of insurance.

Damn! Thank you ! Now I am depressed and pissed again LOL.

Yes I pay about $100,000 USD per year for my employees to have health insurance. I’m still doing OK for sure, but it is a big one. Building rent and other benefits like 401k are the non-salary big ones. And the deductible is still significant maybe $2000 a year. Co-pays are like $30 a visit. What is it like across the pond?

There are lots of taxes when you employ people, pay roll tax, superannuation, fringe benefits taxes, etc.

Ok let’s change the subject LOL

Blue Shield has great plans and an HSA is a great way to go. It sucks that health insurance premiums have rocketed up (due in part to Obamacare) but when it comes to health you really can't put a price tag on ease of service and flexibility of coverage (that's the insurance companies job).

In spain you get free ER. You go to a clinic otherwise and appointments are 2-6 monthsin advance. Unless you beg and pretend you are dying lol but a lot of people do that anyway. Same w russia but there there is a limited number of docs apps per day and everyone calls at 8am to get in line. You can get for check up xray within a week and month if you hustle. Thats all free care. I just found out $1000 in spain covers you for private no line bs. Iirc thats for a year.

What does 40k income person pay in us now, or under 100k family?

Yes, we are fucked. I've never seen such high costs with such high deductibles. You have to remember that we are paying for a massive group of people who are not only high risk, but aren't paying for their life.

I'm sure we will end up with what is the equivalent of Medicare. It's horrible. It's price is not based on health risks. It's based on your income. It's also only a benefit you get from 65 to death, yet you pay in your entire life (unless you are "disabled"). Lastley, they don't cover MANY things.

I just had a Medicare patient who needed 4 injections for an autoimmune disease. The out of pocket was $800 per shot. She spent $3200 on a limited budget.

No offense to anyone, but this is a huge problem. The hospital is the most expensive part of health care. It's not a coincidence. It's because the ER is literally a free clinic. You are paying for a magnitude of non-paying people. This will be a touchy statement, but it's well known in my area that a majority of this is illegal immigrants.

I think we need to consider getting rid of health insurance requirements and have immigration reform soon or the system will collapse.

Our government has become an increasingly inefficient Robin Hood. The mind blowing part is healthcare is worse almost everywhere else. Look at the taxes you pay in other countries for “free” healthcare. Even if the system is good, it’s more expensive. Usually, the system is worse and you are always waiting. And when you do get in, it’s a sub-par facility with sub-par doctors, because if they are any good they come here to get paid.

There are too many people bleeding the system and doctors continue to earn less and less. The middle class will lose this one too by paying too much to cover those who aren’t paying and receiving garbage care. Im sure most of you have seen how many of the good doctors are pulling out of the system and going concierge/cash.

Health insurance is my big concern at the moment.

I sold my business a few years ago and am using cobra (BCBS) from a previous company that I was employed as a consultant by.

My costs are $1300 per month including my wife with a $5k deductible that I always use now as I got cancer just after retiring, each visit also costs me $40, my annual check up for the cancer is around $12k

COBRA is due to run out soon and I am looking at an annual cost (Premium and deductible) of about $30k or more

This is a real kick in the pants as for a few years prior to selling and upon selling I had to pay the extra 3.9% tax that Obama instituted on income to help cover the Obamacare plans for people who need assistance.

Not much I can do about it but move out of the USA, not an option at the moment so its a big pill to swallow.

Haha yep, that'd be me.

I was in front of you in the grey 4Runner with South Carolina tags. Car looked amazing.

Thanks to Judges and Lawyers with frivolous lawsuits. Doctors, hospitals, and pharmaceuticals must pay extremely high insurance too. It's not IF they will get sued it's WHEN. Every time I see those TV adds I think. "Lawyers, lowering Americans standard of living, one case at a time. " Same goes for Auto insurance, Workman's Comp, etc.. I will stop my rant,