Anthony Bourdain Won't Be Cooking Dinner Tonight...

Supercar Ace

Dead at 61. That man partied like a fiend and literally and figuratively cooked up a storm while doing so. RIP.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suicide is a very selfish act when you have children, regardless of your personal demons. Shame I enjoyed the show and his POV.

Suicide is a very selfish act when you have children, regardless of your personal demons. Shame I enjoyed the show and his POV.

Very true! Extremely selfish.

Very true! Extremely selfish.

Should post this on Twitter , Val Kilmer called his suicide a selfish act and got a lot of flak for it . No doubt he had unresolved issues and his demons got the best of him , but I agree with you

Per CNN on the disappointing Bourdain news. Apparently, hundreds of thousands try and commit suicide in the US annually and only 45,000 are successful. Either suicide is harder than I thought, or it seems more like a cry for help which needs to be addressed in our culture/health care system.

I don't know if we can call suicide selfish. You must be out of your mind when you commit suicide

I don't know if we can call suicide selfish. You must be out of your mind when you commit suicide

But at the same time sane enough in order to follow through with it ?

Most who commit suicide plan it well in advance and/or try it multiple times before they succeed, it’s something premeditated, cry for help, of course it is (I can’t imagine not being successful from the first time if you really wanted to do it) but you have to be man or selfless enough to put loved ones who desperately need your more ahead of your own self.

Imagine the impact your actions would have on the sanity of those your actions will affect for the rest of their lives.

It’s a cop-out IMO and yes in majority of the cases a very selfish act, nevertheless suicide is a very complex issue with a lot of different factors at play.

You're missing the point. There is no sanity involved with suicide.

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion, we shall move on.

Random fact: Suicide is the only thing that is illegal to attempt but not illegal to complete.

Random fact: Suicide is the only thing that is illegal to attempt but not illegal to complete.

Doesn’t suicide also generally preclude one from collecting on most types of insurance? If that’s true - then whatever insurance is in place for the surviving family is null/void - further adding to the difficulty of what has been thrust upon the family.

I’m not sure suicide = insanity but I agree it’s selfish when there are dependent minors involved.

I never watched Bourdain. Knew who he was.

Per CNN on the disappointing Bourdain news. Apparently, hundreds of thousands try and commit suicide in the US annually and only 45,000 are successful. Either suicide is harder than I thought, or it seems more like a cry for help which needs to be addressed in our culture/health care system.

If 1% of Golden Gate Bridge jumpers survive, then I'd imagine alternative methods are not as fool proof.

BTW, speaking of those bridge jumpers.....every single one of the survivors interviewed all expressed immediate regret when the fall started.

I would agree if you are just pissed off with life at the moment but sometimes mental illness and also prescription drugs can alter your perception of things.

Pretty gutted by the news. I met him two times. Drank pretty heavily one of the times. He was a great drinking partner. Funny, great stories, pulled no punches with his words. Shame his personal demons were worse than anyone knew.

Imagine how bitter we'd all feel if Clooney suicided. This shit affects people. I'm guessing AB relapsed into using and couldn't get through his head the good advice I'm sure many of the smart people he knew shared with him. fcuking A.

This simply is not a cut and dry topic of selfish vs. mental illness. I'd wager that some who commit suicide may have a quick moment of everything and everyone sucks, but clearly many are plagued by a genuine mental illness, such as depression, chemical imbalance/ bi-polar. If you've ever witnessed a person who is bi-polar and not medicated, it is something to behold. Having worked in a hospital while in college, it became apparent to me that my feelings of a person being selfish were often misguided. Some are simply genuinely suffering from a disease that prevents any form of what you or I would consider rational. There is no "oh, but my children, or wife, or husband, or tomorrow the sun will come out". It just doesn't work in such a manner for the sick.

**I'm no doctor or health care provider, simply an hourly job way back when paying my way through college.**

This simply is not a cut and dry topic of selfish vs. mental illness. I'd wager that some who commit suicide may have a quick moment of everything and everyone sucks, but clearly many are plagued by a genuine mental illness, such as depression, chemical imbalance/ bi-polar. If you've ever witnessed a person who is bi-polar and not medicated, it is something to behold. Having worked in a hospital while in college, it became apparent to me that my feelings of a person being selfish were often misguided. Some are simply genuinely suffering from a disease that prevents any form of what you or I would consider rational. There is no "oh, but my children, or wife, or husband, or tomorrow the sun will come out". It just doesn't work in such a manner for the sick.

**I'm no doctor or health care provider, simply an hourly job way back when paying my way through college.**

My best friend's Dad committed suicide when he was 7. Trust me, he thinks it was a selfish act that has had a profound effect on him and his mother even to this day almost 50 years later. She never remarried and had to raise a son on her own. You raise a good point, but that said I don't how you cannot know the permanent damage you're doing to loved ones, especially children.

Suicide is most certainly a mental illness thus I don't see how it can be considered selfish. The brain, and human body in general, is a very fragile and complex thing that often inflicts pain upon itself even when consciously it's undesirable. Humans do not have the ability to exercise supreme control over their minds and bodies. Humans are very irrational beings. I'm sure anyone on here who has dealt with periods of depression in their lives can look back on the absurdity of it all.

Consider the post above. 50 years later a woman and her son are still effected by it. Isn't the fact that these people could still be effected by the event evidence of the failures of the human mind? Why can't they just forget about something that they'd probably be better off forgetting? Their inability to move completely past something is irrational. Likewise, suicide is irrational. Both don't really make sense.

Is it not possible for someone to commit suicide with the thought "They're better off without me, they'll move on, they'll be fine, they have their whole lives ahead of them"?

Suicide is not selfish in the same way that you won't share your resources/food/toys/etc. There is selfishness and there is depression/mental illness. They are very different things in my opinion. I consider suicide (aside from assisted suicide) to simply be tragic and unfortunate. I have never viewed it as selfish. To me it's an illness that has gone untreated or that can't be cured with current medicine.

My best friend's Dad committed suicide when he was 7. Trust me, he thinks it was a selfish act that has had a profound effect on him and his mother even to this day almost 50 years later. She never remarried and had to raise a son on her own. You raise a good point, but that said I don't how you cannot know the permanent damage you're doing to loved ones, especially children.

No doubt and I would probably feel the same. Unfortunately, it's the "rational" part that's broken that I believe* doesn't allow for such cognitive recognition. Sorry for your friend. Just horrible.