Horrible People Forced Their Pit Bull to Tear Apart a Puppy

Redlambo

In a world full of labs and golden retrievers, even German Shepherds, I don't understand why people have pits. Yeah the owners are a huge part, but as you said genetically there is something up with them. Why risk it?

I would never want a Lab, or a retriever, German Shepherds tend to be skittish. Pitbulls are great dogs. Very sweet and extremely smart. Ofcourse the number of attacks are highest for pits, as they are the most mistreated.

JFC wheels, we can all see the difference in the above dogs posted, and nobody on earth has ever confused a pit for a bulldog (american, english, or otherwise).

And really... making a comparison between a dog that people train to kill for sport with a 20lb beagle? Sure there are super aggressive poodles, but nobody fears it killing a child.

The dogs above can very much be confused with being pitbulls, along with other dogs, to the detriment of the dogs as it then leads them to get treated in the wrong fashion. And yes, sometimes bulldogs can be confused as well. And my point about the beagle versus the "pitbull" is that it oftentimes is mistreatment of the dog that makes them aggressive, not anything inherent in the dogs themselves. In the case of our beagle, we did not mistreat him (the total opposite), but we didn't know how to raise him properly either and as I said, he turned out to be rather mental.

Here is a 35 year study on dog bites.

https://www.animals24-7.org/2018/01/08/57-d...d-by-pit-bulls/

Below are a few of the highest figures, and your vicious beagle.

Attacks with disfiguring injuries:

Bull Mastif: 132

Beagle: 5 (1 must have been wheels dog)

GSD: 168

Husky: 119

Rottweiler: 601

Pitbull / Pitbull Mix: 5,665

Deaths:

Bull Mastif: 84

Beagle: 1

GSD: 119

Husky: 36

Rottweiler: 335

Pitbull / Pit Mix: 3,814

Per the linked study Pitbulls account for literally over 2x more disfiguring attacks and deaths THAN EVERY OTHER DOG BREED COMBINED. If someone is attacked by a dog 2 out of 3 times it was caused by a pitbull over EVERY OTHER breed of dog, including wolf hybrids.

Again, there is no such thing as a "breed" of pitbull.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistic...lities-2017.php

* In 2017, 51% (20) of all dog bite fatalities involved more than one dog, up from the 12-year average of 46% (2005 to 2016). 38% (15) involved 2 or 3 dogs and 13% (5) involved a pack attack of 4 or more dogs. All 5 fatal pack attacks involved pit bulls.

* In 2017, 69% (27) of the attacks resulting in death occurred on the dog owner's property and 70% (19) involved pit bulls. Of the 12 deadly off-property attacks, 83% (10) were inflicted by pit bulls and 75% (9) involved more than one dog attacking.

* In 2017, only 26% (10) of all cases had spay/neuter information. 70% (7) of this subset involved sterilized dogs with three of those cases also involving unaltered dogs. Pit bulls made up 86% (6) of the known sterilized dogs that killed in 2017.

* Rescued or rehomed dogs inflicted 15% (6) of all dog bite fatalities in 2017. Pit bulls were responsible for 83% (5) of these deaths, including killing a person within hours of adoption. 67% (4) were vetted by an animal agency or foster prior to adoption.

Now consider (per some google-fu) pitbulls make up rougly 3-4% of the dog population in the US, so how do you justify those numbers? 2/3 of the "crimes" committed by 4% of the population, and you're trying to sell it like there isn't something out of place here?

All that would mean is that the dogs labeled as pitbulls that are bred for aggression and/or treated wrongly make up the largest share of the attacks. It does not mean that there is anything inherently violent in the dogs labeled as pitbulls as there is no such thing technically as a "pitbull." Black men also commit the majority of violent crimes, obviously it doesn't mean there is anything inherently violent about being black. It has to do with other factors. With dogs labeled as "pitbulls," it's no different. If a "pitbull" dog attacks, it either was mistreated or is one of the breeds labeled as "pitbull" that comes from a breeder who has focused on violence, which as I said, some started doing.

And none of those beagle attacks would have been mine because mine didn't disfigure me.

Save us all a nine page response and answer this one question, what could this breed of dog possibly offer to justify the risk?

Again, no such thing as a "breed" of pitbull. It refers to a number of different breeds.

PS, Wheels, your family either selected, or managed to turn one of the most docile breeds into a dog you deemed necessary to euthanize due to it's aggression. Maybe dogs and/or judgement of dogs isn't your strong suit.

I had nothing to do with the selection of the dog at the time, as I was only around ten or eleven years-old.

I dunno why, I have never understood why so many guys get dogs for image, as if having a tough looking dog makes you hard. It seems there is a wierd insecurity about that.

I dunno why, I have never understood why so many guys get dogs for image, as if having a tough looking dog makes you hard. It seems there is a wierd insecurity about that.

Maybe because they aren't getting them for imagine. Maybe its just you projecting that? Maybe they just like the actual temperament of the dog?

Now consider (per some google-fu) pitbulls make up rougly 3-4% of the dog population in the US, so how do you justify those numbers? 2/3 of the "crimes" committed by 4% of the population, and you're trying to sell it like there isn't something out of place here?

Save us all a nine page response and answer this one question, what could this breed of dog possibly offer to justify the risk?

This argument would be equally as flawed as one that relates race to crime. Per Wikipedia, crimes in the US are disproportionately committed by black people. 54% of murders in a recent year were committed by black people while they only represent about 12% of the population.

So you might ask, what could black people possibly offer to justify the risk? That's really flawed logic, right?

As we all know, people are largely a product of their environment. Animals are much the same, particularly long-since domesticated animals. The inherent temperament of any breed, for better or worse, can with near absolute certainty be molded to be problem-free to the point at which their breed is highly irrelevant.

The reason pitbulls are more represented in bite statistics is plainly obvious in my opinion. Pitbulls are more likely to be owned by shitty human beings than other breeds. It's as simple as that. How many chihuahua rescue organizations have former dog-fighting chihuahuas? Probably none. How many pitbull rescues have former dog-fighting pitbulls? Probably a lot. There are just more people abusing pitbulls and it's not hard to imagine that these people are terribly irresponsible and reckless. These people created an image that unfortunately appeals to more irresponsible people, creating a negative cycle.

Pitbills gets bad rap for aggression due to serious abusers -> irresponsible person who thinks it's cool to have a "tough" dog gets pitbull -> pitbull is trained by irresponsible person and does in fact become aggressive -> pitbulls get more of a bad rap

The main reason we shouldn't continue to breed pitbulls is not due to potential aggression, it's because dogs will simply be healthier if they are all mutts that can breed out genetic diseases. We've created some very unhealthy breeds and it would be best if we started interbreeding every dog that was meant to be a pet. We all love certain breeds, but there is nothing great about your GSD suffering from degenerative myelopathy and it will break your heart if it does.

The reason pitbulls are more represented in bite statistics is plainly obvious in my opinion. Pitbulls are more likely to be owned by shitty human beings than other breeds. It's as simple as that. How many chihuahua rescue organizations have former dog-fighting chihuahuas? Probably none. How many pitbull rescues have former dog-fighting pitbulls? Probably a lot. There are just more people abusing pitbulls and it's not hard to imagine that these people are terribly irresponsible and reckless. These people created an image that unfortunately appeals to more irresponsible people, creating a negative cycle.

Like Mustangs. Mustangs are great, powerful cars, but would you ever want to be outside the parking lot of a Mustang meet?

Has there ever been an owner of a doggo on the PB spectrum ever really been surprised to see the news of a dog mauling?

It's like saying "I know these pork chops are expired and other people get sick, but I never gotten sick and I am going to tell everyone how delicious pork chops are". #notallporkchops #baconmatters

You could say that about things like Lambos or firearms ownership. For example:

"I can maybe understand someone owning a gun for self-defense, but any guy who owns ten guns, it is a just a penis thing and insecurity on his part."

"Only men with small ones drive big SUVs or pickup trucks."

Like Mustangs. Mustangs are great, powerful cars, but would you ever want to be outside the parking lot of a Mustang meet?

Has there ever been an owner of a doggo on the PB spectrum ever really been surprised to see the news of a dog mauling?

If there was not any problem of people breeding certain "pitbull" breeds for fighting and violence, then yes it would be surprising.

It's like saying "I know these pork chops are expired and other people get sick, but I never gotten sick and I am going to tell everyone how delicious pork chops are". #notallporkchops #baconmatters

That analogy is wrong. Remember, "pitbull" breeds are not violent, with the exceptions of certain ones from unscrupulous breeders.

Scenario for chuckles:

There are two checks for a million tax-free dollars, or a cure for your cancer (or whatever you value) in the bottom of two food bowls at feeding time, both dogs are strangers to you. The first is the average dog on the PB spectrum with a little growl as you approach. The other is a methed-out teacup Yorkie with a mini Hell's Angels "official dog" vest and jail yard tatts from the Pelican Bay Supermax dog pound.

Choose wisely...

Pitbulls are a "statement pet". They have a reputation and you want to project being a badass, or you have this rehab delusion.

It is a Jurassic Park thing. We can create and control monsters through generations of breeding them to be killers, than the audacity of human ego to think all they need is love to overcome it all.

I have met/fostered some lovely dogs in this category, but I won't let one in my room while I am sleeping, I certainly would not startle one and I would never own a pet famous for locking jaws and their legendary tenacity. It is not a pet for me, and I am not going to prevent anyone else for owning one, and I am not an "I told you so" kind of guy, but just know I am thinking it. I honestly wouldn't bat an eye if they ceased to exist.

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

"locking jaws"......when you want people to know, you don't have the first fcuking clue what you're talking about....... :rolleyes: :lol2:

I miss-spoke and by the time i went to correct it, i could not edit the thread.

Related note: met a girl this weekend, she has a lovely Staffordshire. Won't want to piss her off.