Garage coming along

What did you do to the floor? I'm building my house right now and trying to squeeze in a 5 car garage. Would love to do something similar to your floor. I like that glossy look.

Just multi coats of epoxy with clear.

That seems low with a lift

Luckily your cars are not tall

Not at all. The Carrera Gt is my tallest car, and with the Diablo on top, I can raise the car several feet over the Carrera GT roof.

what type of garage openers cuz i notice they are now on the side? BTW, havent talked to you in a while... didnt even know you moved to AZ... go to Scottsdale often.

what type of garage openers cuz i notice they are now on the side? BTW, havent talked to you in a while... didnt even know you moved to AZ... go to Scottsdale often.

Yes, I had the doors raised and installed side mount lifts. Let me know when you are in Scottsdale. Would love to meet up.

Looks great, especially with your collection there. Care to share what else will be sleeping in the pen with Bulls and CGT?

Just multi coats of epoxy with clear.

Looks great Allan, congrats.. How long ago did you do the epoxy? I did it for my garage a long time ago (maybe 6-7 years ago) and after say a year or so the tire marks from the cars showed on it.. So I'm wondering if the epoxy has gotten more durable, or just my installer sucked!

-Steven

Looks great Allan, congrats.. How long ago did you do the epoxy? I did it for my garage a long time ago (maybe 6-7 years ago) and after say a year or so the tire marks from the cars showed on it.. So I'm wondering if the epoxy has gotten more durable, or just my installer sucked!

-Steven

Same here, it lasted 2 years, I will need to rip it out and tile the floor.

I've done the epoxy in the garages of two homes to date and I encountered one significant problem. The last one was built in 2012 and it is still strong -- just needs to be kept clean. I've spilled all sorts of stuff on it too. The problem seems to be when, if ever, a car steers on the epoxy. Straight in and straight out, it still looks great after six years. Where there was a car that was turning in order to get out and follow the driveway, it chewed up the epoxy, starting almost immediately (it wasn't me, btw). Any steering on the surface is super-bad.

The first job I did had a clear coat, and it looked good for about two years. But unfortunately the clear yellowed in spots and was sorta' ruined once a chip or something allowed moisture to start penetrating it. That was circa 2008, so I'm sure clear coats have improved since then. I skipped the clear on the next job and it's been stellar.

My personal opinion is that the darker colors show dirt and damage much more than the lighter colors...even white! In aviation, I see a lot of white hangar floors that actually stand up pretty well, unless you have a nose gear pivoting or a jack stand chewing them up. If Allan's lifts budge a little, I bet over time, they might chew into the epoxy, but I'd be willing to bet some kind of thin pad of some kind could minimize the damage (since the Direct Lifts can be temporarily lifted and readjusted or taxied around on casters). If I use a jack stand, I put it on a piece of cardboard or something.

But honestly, you can't expect to bang floor jacks around and drop hammers all over the place and expect it to survive. If you want a garage you can walk into in your socks, you still need to treat it as such.

My experience with epoxy is that it'll last forever under the most harsh conditions as long as the pre epoxy prep is done correctly (etching, acid stain, cleaning, etc...).........my floor was done 6 years ago and it's perfect. I hired a professional. The home prior this one, same area, same climate, both brand new.....I did it myself, and within the first 6-10 months it was coming up from tire heat/turning/etc...

Peter

My experience with epoxy is that it'll last forever under the most harsh conditions as long as the pre epoxy prep is done correctly (etching, acid stain, cleaning, etc...).........my floor was done 6 years ago and it's perfect. I hired a professional. The home prior this one, same area, same climate, both brand new.....I did it myself, and within the first 6-10 months it was coming up from tire heat/turning/etc...

Peter

This. Preferably grind it first then no need for the acid etch. Use 100% solids and apply in the proper thickness. That should be damn near indestructible.

Like everything 90% of the job is in the prep.

This. Preferably grind it first then no need for the acid etch. Use 100% solids and apply in the proper thickness. That should be damn near indestructible.

Like everything 90% of the job is in the prep.

Did all that, I watched them, the clear goes yellow, it also lifted under very hot tires, once it lifts you can say goodbye to it.

Personally I wouldn’t have it again even for free, tile or straight polished concrete

I have epoxy floors with multiple layers of polyurethane marine grade clear coating....I have some of the same issues, tire marks when hot and then they have to be polished say once a year.

I’d do ceramic commercial grade tile and never worry about it again in my next house. It looks amazing with a faded grey design to everyone else but to me I like it when its polished once in a while which really only takes an hour.

I've always wanted to have sex with you.

But now I won't even bring condoms!

big H not shy about this garage! lol

im going through a build now and im thinking tile or polished concrete, price wise what is less expensive?

PS that epoxy does look Hot!

The floor was ground, and etched. Ive never had an issue with properly done epoxy, not to mention it comes with a 10 year warranty.

Good to hear! I have the race ramps on order already. The steel ones are a bit heavy

Did your race ramps come in? I have the Direct Lift as well but the lift seems about 4 & 1/4 tall from the ground where the ramps sit and the only Race Ramp that seems to fit our Direct Lift for width etc is this one below showing 5 " height. Just wondering if you got your ramps in and whether that small additional height of the ramp presents any problem. Pricy but these would be great for me since the metal ramps that came with it are pretty hefty in weight and this one below is only 15 lb! Being 60+ I look for any relief wherever I can in lifting stuff. These ramps are a lot longer as well, which is nice to prevent scraping.

43232439555_a3e3195e9f_b.jpgRaceRamp-Rack-HN20-5 by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Where are the other cars? Or is that the full stable now?

Just brought 928 over.. Murci still at friends house. Will bring that next week.

Did your race ramps come in? I have the Direct Lift as well but the lift seems about 4 & 1/4 tall from the ground where the ramps sit and the only Race Ramp that seems to fit our Direct Lift for width etc is this one below showing 5 " height. Just wondering if you got your ramps in and whether that small additional height of the ramp presents any problem. Pricy but these would be great for me since the metal ramps that came with it are pretty hefty in weight and this one below is only 15 lb! Being 60+ I look for any relief wherever I can in lifting stuff. These ramps are a lot longer as well, which is nice to prevent scraping.

43232439555_a3e3195e9f_b.jpgRaceRamp-Rack-HN20-5 by JanDaMan, on Flickr

W

I use these Race ramps for my Bendpak HD9 lift....so much easier and lighter than the heavy ass metal ramps that came with the Bendpak.