Gun Free Zone & Second Amendment Question

Boner

I have a good one for you guys! My home is on an 33 acre property, and in the county. However, the city has surrounded me over the years. We have a 20 acre law that states I cannot be annexed if I keep more than 20 acres. This gives me the right to hunt, shoot guns, burn stuff, and more.

A few years ago, I sold some adjoining land for commercial use. It ended up becoming a private grade school.

From what I can gather, it is illegal to posses a gun within 1000' of a school. The only exception is if the adjoining property is your own property. The grey area is actually shooting a gun. I've heard opinions that it is ok. I have also heard of gun clubs that have indoor ranges being ok, as long as the member unloads and locks the gun in a case between the door and the car.

However, my attorney said that people have been arrested for defending their life in their own home when the home is in a Gun Free Zone.

My view is that state law will have no problem with a property owner shooting legally, yet the federal law that established the gun free zone may be different. One of the big questions is what school is federally recognized as a school?

Kind of an interesting question. Any thoughts?

I do have areas of property that are 1000'+ away, but I would be required at that point to be shooting the opposite direction (towards the neighbors). Also, it is not clear if the 1000' is from the buildings, or the edge of the property.

That actually is an interesting question...we'd need Roman to chime in.

If it was me I'd just burn the school down :lol2:

That actually is an interesting question...we'd need Roman to chime in.

:iamwithstupid:

Regrets for unable to assist on the issue but I was about to say Roman would be the perfect candidate to answer it. Unfortunately, he seems to have been MIA for quite a while now.

Subscribed.

And yeah, I sent Roman a message a while back and nary a response. Don't know what's up but I hope everything is ok in his world.

I have a good one for you guys! My home is on an 33 acre property, and in the county. However, the city has surrounded me over the years. We have a 20 acre law that states I cannot be annexed if I keep more than 20 acres. This gives me the right to hunt, shoot guns, burn stuff, and more.

A few years ago, I sold some adjoining land for commercial use. It ended up becoming a private grade school.

From what I can gather, it is illegal to posses a gun within 1000' of a school. The only exception is if the adjoining property is your own property. The grey area is actually shooting a gun. I've heard opinions that it is ok. I have also heard of gun clubs that have indoor ranges being ok, as long as the member unloads and locks the gun in a case between the door and the car.

However, my attorney said that people have been arrested for defending their life in their own home when the home is in a Gun Free Zone.

My view is that state law will have no problem with a property owner shooting legally, yet the federal law that established the gun free zone may be different. One of the big questions is what school is federally recognized as a school?

Kind of an interesting question. Any thoughts?

I do have areas of property that are 1000'+ away, but I would be required at that point to be shooting the opposite direction (towards the neighbors). Also, it is not clear if the 1000' is from the buildings, or the edge of the property.

I'd bet my life the delineating line is the property boundary and not the buildings on the 1000 feet limit. Kids tend to wander and play outside. You'd rather be shooting in the direction of the school than your neighbours. Both sound like awful options with bad outcomes for you.

:iamwithstupid:

Regrets for unable to assist on the issue but I was about to say Roman would be the perfect candidate to answer it. Unfortunately, he seems to have been MIA for quite a while now.

Subscribed.

And yeah, I sent Roman a message a while back and nary a response. Don't know what's up but I hope everything is ok in his world.

Roman did make a brief appearance on social media today so he's still around...hopefully he gets back on the boards soon

You don't need a lawyer, you need a real estate agent. The chances of you being grandfathered in are slim.

You'd rather be shooting in the direction of the school than your neighbours. Both sound like awful options with bad outcomes for you.

Why? What if there is a dirt berm? Or what if you shoot one direction and it goes into a hill and no way it will come close to a person. Have you ever shot a gun? Do you understand how they work? Or do you just read what the Internet tells you?