Talk to me about Defenders!

Plastique999

Ok after owning the G 4x4, wife and I are loving the truck.

We have a minivan for the 4 kids but thinking a Defender 110 would be much more fun for the kids and light camping and such.

I’d like one that does have some restoration updates, such as the interior. Manual would be cool.

How do these drive?

Hard to carb in Cali?

Buddy somehow has a 2011 in Cali possibly for sale - not sure if it passed emissions

IMO, it's just a cult following than anything else. The vehicle is obsolete 30 years ago. Aside from the "Hey, I have one! Ain't I cool?" element, one has to be masochistic to get pleasure out of it . The term ergonomics did not exist when this vehicle was invented and they never added any of it in. It is a 100% utility vehicle, no more, no less. They do last forever though. Not saying they are mechanically perfect; anything but that although most hiccups are relatively easy and inexpensive fixes. Some after-market firms restore, update and add comfort to them but deep down, they are still what they are. Yes, they are very off-road capable but don't expect easy handling, driving/riding in comfort. Just consider it as a competent tool.

If you think this is comparable to a G Wagon that was made in the past 7 years, you will be disappointed. Try the G's that were made decades ago when they were termed and used as --- you guessed it --- utility vehicles.

Cool? Yes. User-friendly and comfy? No way.

VCR is spot on. A defender would make a gclass feel like a Cadillac.

There is a rumor that a new USDM defender will be dropping soon though.

I recently rode in a new 2018 defender. It’s pretty much exactly the same at a 1984 defender.

Friend spent $150K+ on arkonik defender. Loud, rough riding, shitty AC for back seats etc. Awful, simply awful. He sold it after 1600 miles.

Looked great though!

Plastique, it's all how you want to use it.

While it's getting criticized heavily here for comfort and on road handling, it has very few peers off road.

And I'm not sure how it's a total POS when we have people clamoring over '70s Broncos and Land Cruisers.

Owned 1 defender and I regret it till this day, the ergonomics are terrible,it's incredible loud and clunky, extremely unreliable. My 1984 g class was years ahead of my 2005 defender in pretty much all aspects...

I was looking at this company to bring one into the US. I grew up with old Series 1 Land Rovers and love the idea of a Defender for nostalgic reasons. I'm not sure about any trip over 10 miles in it though..

https://riverhousemini.com

Damn, very surprised to hear so much in terms of bad reviews. Had considered finding a restored one. Luckily there is an importer not too far from me. Sounds like a test drive would be valuable!

My neighbor had a new one when I first lived in Malibu in 98. The build quality was so shitty there were rust patches the hinges on the doors and hood on a 2-year-old car. If it is anything like my Bronco then it is not a DD under any circumstances.

My neighbor had a new one when I first lived in Malibu in 98. The build quality was so shitty there were rust patches the hinges on the doors and hood on a 2-year-old car. If it is anything like my Bronco then it is not a DD under any circumstances.

The last 90 that came was known to usually have more engine oil under it than in it.

I think i'm most shocked that your wife would drive a minivan. That's pragmatism at the highest level.

If you want something to cart the kids around and 'light' camping duty look at the diesel excursions. A little hard to find but fcuking bulletproof and look pretty sweet with a small lift on 35's.

On the fcuking ridiculous side, 6 door diesel trucks are pretty awesome but impossible to park anywhere. Kids will love it though.

I think i'm most shocked that your wife would drive a minivan. That's pragmatism at the highest level.

If you want something to cart the kids around and 'light' camping duty look at the diesel excursions. A little hard to find but fcuking bulletproof and look pretty sweet with a small lift on 35's.

On the fcuking ridiculous side, 6 door diesel trucks are pretty awesome but impossible to park anywhere. Kids will love it though.

Hah! Trudat....the minivan is really the kidmobile for the nanny...but it is our only car currently that fits the whole family.

She daily’s the G4x4 and loves it...and so do the kids.

Ok so you guys seem to be describing it as the wheels falling off. I mean if it drives like a school bus 🚌 it could be a fun weekend family warrior mobile.

My buddy’s dad happened to put up a 2011 Defender for consignment at a nearby dealer. I’m gonna see if I can test drive it.

Sounds like its just about as comfortable to drive as a HUmmer H1.....

Bite your tongue.

H1 is AWESOME!

Plastique. Get an h1 Alpha. With the middle jumpseat it will hold all 6 of you and your kids will absolutely love it.

Bite your tongue.

H1 is AWESOME!

Plastique. Get an h1 Alpha. With the middle jumpseat it will hold all 6 of you and your kids will absolutely love it.

:iamwithstupid: H1 Alpha all the way.... would click a lot of boxes on your list that a Defender would.

Bite your tongue.

H1 is AWESOME!

+1

Bite your tongue.

H1 is AWESOME!

For the record...I LOVE the H1.....shit, I probably drive KMR's just as much as he does anymore.....hah

But that was kind of my point, if youre going for the all out impractical offroad....the H1 really is the best. Cant imagine how much better the alphas are.

For the record...I LOVE the H1.....shit, I probably drive KMR's just as much as he does anymore.....hah

But that was kind of my point, if youre going for the all out impractical offroad....the H1 really is the best. Cant imagine how much better the alphas are.

I know you love the H1 as much as Kevin and I do.

LIES! I love it more then Kevin does. hahaha

I'm so fcuking confused by you two! :icon_pidu: :lol2:

For the record I fully support an H1 alpha! Get it down to PPE and let them do a little work to the duramax and it won't be absolutely painful to drive.

I'm so fcuking confused by you two! :icon_pidu: :lol2:

For the record I fully support an H1 alpha! Get it down to PPE and let them do a little work to the duramax and it won't be absolutely painful to drive.

The other "Kevin'" Raj and I are referring to is KMR. But the confusion is warranted! I usually steal KMR's H1.