So What Happened?! Details Inside

Destructo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update!  

Is there a Facebook page that we can retreat to if it goes down again?  A place where we can watch for the batsignal to tell us it's back up?

2 hours ago, Destructo said:

For the quick and dirty, that looks great! Love it!

FINALLY!!!

There is a Lambo Power group on facebook.  Its not active, but a few of us users post there when we start tweaking out at no LP (us being me....)

Nice to see things coming back to life.

The past 3 -4 weeks was like a 12 step program with only one step, followed by a big fall into the abyss.

1 hour ago, Kevin2772 said:

There is a Lambo Power group on facebook.  Its not active, but a few of us users post there when we start tweaking out at no LP (us being me....)

I’m not sure who the admin on that group. But it’s been helpful

1 hour ago, da_bull said:

Every time I checked to see if the forum was back online and it wasn't, I didn't even get annoyed because it was just so quintessentially Lambo-Power to be offline for weeks at a time without any idea when it is coming back... and it has always been like that. Maybe part of it's charm but if I was a paid advertiser, I would be pissed. Yesterday there was a note added to the main page saying that they would be back online today... would have been nice to see a even just a weekly update on the main page saying "Hey, taking a little longer than expected.. Hang tight". PS. Black/Gold as a standard 

Part of its charm, is understandable. However, with the new coming site, we’ll be on a new stable server which should alleviate any unexpected downtimes. And with new updates, we’ll give plenty of notice of down time. And I concur with you about no notes. But thankfully we were able to get something up st the last minute for some notice. Things are changing, from good to great!

29 minutes ago, Redlambo said:

Nice to see things coming back to life.

The past 3 -4 weeks was like a 12 step program with only one step, followed by a big fall into the abyss.

It’s been brutal, but thanks for sticking it out!

Jeez, you can spot the old school Lambo owners.  They know anything Lambo related breaks down now again. Destructo and I have got some plans.  

Yeah it looks a mess right now but we want to rebuild the community and do it the right way.  Full drains up refresh.  

What we realise is that people put in time on here, people on here have met some great people and had some great experiences as a result of the board so we want to try and do what we can bring some good juice back. 

There is lots of stuff for us to juggle and we will do the best we can.  

What we need from you guys is features.  What do you want to see from a forum?  What do you want to see from an online community? Tell us.  We cannot guarantee that we will build everything and like any software development it does not arrive overnight. 

Thanks again for lending a hand Destructo, it's really been nice to have some support in trying to get this taken care of. 

I'm going to repeat what's been said to an extent on this thread, but this really was forced into being a "build from scratch" job. About the only thing that could be scrapped from the old LP was the threads, members, topics and so forth. Just doing the transfer of data sets took days to complete. 

Also, because the site will be keeping live while small changes occur, you might notice some funny things. Like right now, the banner at the top of the page is currently cut off. I'm figuring out how the settings need to be with this custom forum skin and the only way for me to do that is through testing. 

If for ANY reason the site is going to go down, I promise to make a post here and my goal is for this to only occur during 12AM-7AM on any day if necessary. 

Glad it’s back

i even logged into FB to find updates (found nothing).

Not a fan of FB so I’ll just check back here daily if it’s down. 

Looking forward to the improvements. Thanks mods for all your work. Much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, BRRory said:

Thanks again for lending a hand Destructo, it's really been nice to have some support in trying to get this taken care of. 

I'm going to repeat what's been said to an extent on this thread, but this really was forced into being a "build from scratch" job. About the only thing that could be scrapped from the old LP was the threads, members, topics and so forth. Just doing the transfer of data sets took days to complete. 

Also, because the site will be keeping live while small changes occur, you might notice some funny things. Like right now, the banner at the top of the page is currently cut off. I'm figuring out how the settings need to be with this custom forum skin and the only way for me to do that is through testing. 

If for ANY reason the site is going to go down, I promise to make a post here and my goal is for this to only occur during 12AM-7AM on any day if necessary. 

Can I make a suggestion for you Rory and the team at Lpower..  Anyone in DevOps or IT infrastructure would cringe at making site changes to a production environment without testing/QA in a staging environment prior.  I know I posted in the other thread about making backups before you guys took this site offline for 2 weeks, but I doubt that happened, which is why there are lost posts etc..  My suggestion would be to put an identical version of this site (on a different database) so you can test your changes on say dev.lambopower.com (create an ACL so it doesn't get indexed or accessed by anyone except for you and the other admins) before propagating them to prod.  Additionally, you should always have backups and a regression plan in the event things go south like they clearly did the past few weeks. 

If you want some help, let me know. 

-Steven

11 hours ago, ihsteven said:

Can I make a suggestion for you Rory and the team at Lpower..  Anyone in DevOps or IT infrastructure would cringe at making site changes to a production environment without testing/QA in a staging environment prior.  I know I posted in the other thread about making backups before you guys took this site offline for 2 weeks, but I doubt that happened, which is why there are lost posts etc..  My suggestion would be to put an identical version of this site (on a different database) so you can test your changes on say dev.lambopower.com (create an ACL so it doesn't get indexed or accessed by anyone except for you and the other admins) before propagating them to prod.  Additionally, you should always have backups and a regression plan in the event things go south like they clearly did the past few weeks. 

If you want some help, let me know. 

-Steven

LP gets a daily Scrum and story points? Regression testing? Jenkins? Continuous Integration? User stories? Low Level Design doc? SOW? Material Design? Gitflow? ARIA attributes? (insert 1500 other buzzwords) :p

You should have asked me for help :D

I have quite a lot of experience with IPS running on a dedicated server, so if you have any specific issues I'd be happy to help if it's up my alley.

Seems you got the most crucial part done though, happy to see it's migrated successfully!

On 9/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, Carter said:

Looks good so far.  Looks like "join date" has been deleted.  No biggie just an observation. 

Good to know, we’ll see if we can get that back in 2.0.