Who knows of the magic hangover cure pill?

Rawr

I know there is a pill that will cure hangover, but I can't look it up. This board has smart people and docs, fess up.  Iboprofene is my go to before bed, thats half magic, but what works a lot better? Turns out drinking in your 30s is a lot different than 20s.. 2 day hangover now. My 40's old friend says its 3 days at his age. 

Don't know about pills, but hangovers are the result of dehydration.

The more water you can drink pre sleep, the better. It's a chore to force down water tired and drunk but often the results are there in the morning.

Short of some magic pill, you'll have to buddy up with a Doc or RN who can give you the hangover IV. :D

4 hours ago, Smash Boy said:

The more water you can drink pre sleep, the better. It's a chore to force down water tired and drunk but often the results are there in the morning.

Short of some magic pill, you'll have to buddy up with a Doc or RN who can give you the hangover IV. :D

Actually hangover is the result of your body being so injected with poison (alcohol) that it is having a physical withdrawal from it.

30 minutes ago, capt_chaos said:

Is google broken where you are?  Look it up and it is all bullshit

thats my point, there is something that works. I know where Ive read about it, Ill post when I find it.

The hangover is really a multifactorial condition which includes dehydration as well as toxic chemicals from the breakdown of ethanol which itself is a toxic chemical and inflammation in the body. The best thing I’ve found is multifactorial. 

Drink water before you sleep. You can also eat some foods like bread that soak up water so it can absorb more slowly. Also stay up as long as you can to sober up. This is not always possible but if you taper down drinking at the end of the night and hydrate you’ll do better. The final ingredient I’ve found is 800 MG of ibuprofen before sleeping. It makes an amazing difference. 

1 hour ago, Kevin2772 said:

My wife and I love to slam some pedialite before bed.    Or if we forget the next morning.  75% of the time...it works every time. 

:iamwithstupid: 

Pedialite has always worked for me. 

I was puking my guts out for about 5 hours before my brother's wedding. 20 min before the ceremony, I'm handed Zofran. I was hopping, skipping, and jumping down the isle in no time. I think it's script only though.

Here we are. Writer is pretty much dead with hangover at this point.

A moment later I noticed a shadow in front of me.

“Dude, take one of these.” A hand appeared in front of my face with three or four huge pills in its palm. “What is it?” “Properazine.” “Pro-chlor-perazine,” the man’s wife corrected him in the background. “What ever. It’s an anti- anxiety pill mixed with a muscle relaxant. My brother gets it for migraines.”

“It’s an ‘anti-psychotic.’ ” The wife laughed. “Best thing for nausea on the planet. They give it to terminally ill patients so they can eat.”

“I’m not much of a painkiller guy.” I stared at the pills in my hand. I knew “anti-psychotic” was just a medical term that sounded a lot stranger than it was, but I still couldn’t help wondering, Were these people giving me some heavy-grade brain-freezing agent? Generic lithium? Thorazine?

Was this the medication of some dangerous schizophrenic who’d gone off her regimen? “Trust me. This stuff ’s great.”

“Thanks.”

I cracked open another ginger ale to chase down one of the pills. “You’re going to want to eat something with that,” his wife jumped in again. “It’s not weak stuff.”

“I can’t.” I cracked one of the horse pills in half and put it in my mouth, figuring a smaller dose corrected for the lack of food in my system. The guy wasn’t lying. The drug was simply amazing. A half hour later I was eating a McDonald’s cheeseburger from a roadside drive-thru, something I usually couldn’t stomach sober. By the time we reached Philadelphia, I was well enough to go running. The anxiety, stomach knots and spins, all of it was gone. The drug was almost too effective, like I’d cheated nature. I remember feeling guilty about going to the gym that afternoon, like I should have been upstairs in bed, lying in pain, learning my lesson.

I put the rest of the pills in a little tan “Pillbox” in my underwear drawer where I stored random drugs people gave me or left around the house. I figured it was better to save them than use the stuff as “associate’s little helpers,” to kill boredom and angst at the office, the way I would Xanax or Ativan tablets people gave me from time to time. These were a different class of pill, too strong to be spent like that. This was the sort of thing you only used in emergencies, against those really atrocious Sunday mornings coming down

3 hours ago, emanon said:

I'll give you the boring answer, I quit drinking half a decade ago and feel great every morning :)

Off topic but totally am with this. Never felt better. 

Mid 20s I drank every weekend. When I hit 30 I quit 100%. 

I would deal with the hangover because throwing tons of NSAID at my liver/kidneys and after drinking wasn't ideal. 

But for me.

If I would need to wake up early the next day or be productive: Try to eat food while drinking and drink 1 glass of water with every drink. I would then drink Pedialyte or Gatorade . And take Ibuprofen  before bed. If none of those pickle juice/olive juice before bed and lots of water at the bedside. Generally the type of drink had an effect on me so i would stick to less hoppy beers or clear liquor. But the water is important. 

The next morning. Some soup/a good breakfast worked for me. I would get some PHO or Menudo/Pozole (something salty ) to help. 

Also. Day drinking was never an issue. I could totally drink early and be fine later on. Drinking before bed killed me. If I had a couple drinks then went to sleep the next morning was terrible. 

Before 25 I never had a hangover, not once. Even with partying usually 2 days a week. Then suddenly I started to have hangovers... By the 30 they were horrible pains in liver and stomach, I felt like I might actually die. Then at 33 it got very serious even without drinking, horrible stomach pains, even without drinking very bad stomach problems every week, I ate my fathers medicines. Then last spring at 34 I got last symptoms and off I went with ambulance to intensive care. my liver values were 1800% of the normal, skin and eyes yellow, pee red from red blood cells. Finally 10 days later my bile was removed. I rested for one full day and then I was up and already feeling healthier than ever. By that removal I felt that I can drink without as bad symptoms anymore. Yes I will get hangover when over doing it but it is nothing compared to what I was used to. Still I kept having problems with my bowels which leads to dehydration no matter if I drank 5 liters of water a day or more... After being about a year afraid constantly that I will shat my self. I talked with my sister who had earlier also bad stomach problems. So 2 weeks a go I left out gluten and started to be careful with milk products. That fixed my bowels almost immediately. If I eat wrong stuff I will pay for it the next 24 hours. So I am also only drinking gluten free beer after this and other spirits. Hangover ofcourse will come if I drink heavily... But I try to drink lots of water, also after I have stopped drinking alcohol I keep drinking water. I try to avoid using painkillers as some of them dont work for me and those that do are extra bad for liver, especially after already straining it with alcohol. Never drink to empty stomach if I am really going to hit it hard I try to make sure I eat big meal before starting. 

MY suggestion is that even when going to be hammered, be smart with the water, during and after. Also eat good meal before starting to drink. And even if it is common in your country or place to get really wasted, try to retain some reasonability with in it. If you feel hungry when you stop drinking alcohol, go eat something fastfood it actually does good. Then keep drinking water until you fall in sleep. Also sleep as long as you can after waking up first time, if you wake up to pee, drink more, maybe headache pill if must, and go back to bed. Then when you start to be little bit past the worst, get out of the home go eat somewhere and get an easy walk outside, it will help you feel like human again. Keep drinking that water / sportsdrinks still.

One more thing I have never done drugs, never felt the urge or need to even try. I have seen many young people die. I have tried 2 times a marihuona, it affects me in very different way than anyone else I have seen. I dont get any of the initial "fun or relax" feeling but after 2 hours I start to get numb, starting from my feet and slowly rising all the way to my head, and I just am scared that I cant feel my face, and I am constantly worried that I will sleep and suffocate on my own tongue which I cant feel in my mouth. Then it just lasts hours like that trying to fight off the paranoia, extremely dry mouth and fear of dying by sleeping accidentally and swallowing my tongue. Also my feet cant hold me and my whole body will be very noncontrollable. I have read that some people intestines do attack thc way differently than normal peoples. It is very bad drug for me. I cant understand how it is legalized and kind of a laughing matter to people. I would rather drive a car for 50kms after 10 beers or a bottle of wine or half a bottle of vodka than just trying to survive in a city environment by foot after just one breath of smoke or half a bake. So kids: stay on alcohol. This is just my take on it.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:33 PM, emanon said:

I'll give you the boring answer, I quit drinking half a decade ago and feel great every morning :)

Exactly my thoughts. Easier than a pill, much cheaper too.

Activated charcoal, comes in capsules, one can a take a whole bunch after over indulging , will absorb most of the alcohol.

On 9/22/2018 at 5:53 AM, Smash Boy said:

I do this for a fee for my friends, hahaha. 

On 9/28/2018 at 8:59 PM, LPDADDY said:

Activated charcoal, comes in capsules, one can a take a whole bunch after over indulging , will absorb most of the alcohol.

Good old soviet tricks. How many pills per lb? 

I don't drink that often anymore, hence nice abs, but just got  back in US and going to be going out to make all you fuckers tolerable enjoy myself, so it's usually a bad hangover because I drink too much if there's a reason.