Gotta love carfax...

abolfaz

So I decide to replace my wifes maserati with a clean 458 spider for her birthday, one of my friends has one for sale that is spotless. I drag my feet a little then a few days later he tells me he wholesaled it to a local car dealer ( ZFF68NHAXE0202396). I found the car again here:

https://www.jumboluxurycars.com/vehicle-det...-fl-id-23799475

Not bad, fairly priced and only within $5k of what he was going to sell it to me for. I check the carfax link and get this...

458_carfax.jpg

So the car qualifies for the carfax guarantee where carfax certifies that its never been wrecked and it's never had a salvage title. Clearly its been wrecked and had a salvage title as well has having been totaled and run through Insurance Auto Auctions, so WTF?

takes awhile for it to pop up.. maybe it hasn't been long enough?

The car was wrecked close to two years ago.

That is totally disgusting, so much for for consumer protection. Didn't 60 minutes or someone do a piece on Carfax and found it's not reliable and in many cases just plain wrong about a cars history. Worst if I recall was flood damaged cars making it onto the dealer lots with no reported history of such.

So the car qualifies for the carfax guarantee where carfax certifies that its never been wrecked and it's never had a salvage title. Clearly its been wrecked and had a salvage title as well has having been totaled and run through Insurance Auto Auctions, so WTF?

Car fax only gets the report if it’s claimed on insurance, correct?

So if the owner has a shop that will do the work for cash, it presumably never gets reported. I’m not sure what the cost of those repairs would be (extensive undoubtedly) but probably cheaper than taking a bath on the sale price from being reported.

Good thing you didn’t pull the trigger on this one.

So if the owner has a shop that will do the work for cash, it presumably never gets reported. I’m not sure what the cost of those repairs would be (extensive undoubtedly) but probably cheaper than taking a bath on the sale price from being reported.

This

Good thing you didn’t pull the trigger on this one.

Dave,

What you’re missing is that the car was totaled by the insurance company, issued a salvage title then sold through an insurance auction.

That makes sense.

That's crazy man! Very curious how that would happen as well - guessing this a place where that buyback guarantee would definitely get put to use.

Did your friend know any of this before he sold it?

Carfax only knows what gets reported to it. If nothing is filed with them, then they don't know.

Carfax only knows what gets reported to it. If nothing is filed with them, then they don't know.

something like the "don't ask don't tell question"

Dave,

What you’re missing is that the car was totaled by the insurance company, issued a salvage title then sold through an insurance auction.

Oh, shit. Missed that part. My gosh, that’s even worse.

Doesn't this make the OP's "friend" a total d-bag!!!???

He didn't know, he took a major bath on the car.

CARFAX is a joke.

There was a thread a while back showing a Lamborghini in 2 halves for sale..... crashed and torn in half at the firewall..... with a clean CarFax.

I think i t was this one. https://carbuzz.com/news/for-sale-lamborghi...used-half-price Maybe someone else can clarify, but I remember seeing similar pictures and people pointing out that it had a clean CarFax.

Don't trust them and do your homework is the moral of the story.