1988.5 Numbers

Roman

OK... Anybody have a definitive number on how many were produced in the 1988.5?

I have 135. But I have NO IDEA how I came up with that number.

i was told 55 or 75.. but that number came from Sackey years ago. ( i know how much weight you will put on that!!!!)

i was told 55 or 75.. but that number came from Sackey years ago. ( i know how much weight you will put on that!!!!)

You might be referring to these Ken. I snapped these screenshots years ago. I hope this is not a no no...

88.5___60_imported_to_the_US.jpg

88.5_info.jpg

Yes!!! Thank You.. i believe the "quote" in the first one is actually ME talking to someone about it.

So that discussion came back with a number of "60" and i don't think that was ever really challenged.

i think it would be interesting to know for sure.

so 60 US spec 88.5 ?

and very likely other 60 or more DD...

not a lot of these around

so 60 US spec 88.5 ?

and very likely other 60 or more DD...

not a lot of these around

hummm. the first post could be mine.... I vaguely recall that I attempted to count the 88.5 from the potential first 88.5 vin known / last non 88.5 QV known up to to last QV known / first anniv vin. this is how I kind of figured it out.

that assumes that by 1988 they had the vins on the QV straighten out from the early years. I can revisit these figure again.

Im going to sticky this after a while...

I confirm it was my post. I have more accurate info now. To round this up better, I may need a little help from you guys to make myinfo more precise if you have any info.

I am assuming the VIns are serial effective 1988.

The first 88.5 I know is Red JLA12277 and was for sale at Fox valley motor car.Someone couldconfirm that it is a 88.5 (i got a pict showing a corner of the new A/C)

Then the last 88.5 is the blue KLA12424 from Keir in NY for sure. I saw the car as well and he is a know forum member.

So simple math would say 424-277 = 147 cars at least.

At this point I can positively identify 66 of them worlwide and 41 being in the US about the location of these car changes over time so that number should not be taken as gospel.

the question here is JLA12277 the first 88.5?

I am pretty sure JLA12267 is not an 88.5. Car was for sale in Ohio in 2010 at Sport Auto. Someone confirming this would be great.

That leave a gap from JLA12267 to JLA12276 or 9 cars.

Black JLA12275 was sold as an 88.5 in San Diego CA in 2010 but I really cannot confirm it was indeed an 88.5. Anybody could chime in if they know?

I conclude that we could have between 147 car and 156 model 88.5 worlwide.

What are you considering as 88.5? They started putting the side skirts on cars in late 87. My car is one of them.

From what I understand the 88.5 are well defined out there to be made from Fall/winter 87 up to the anniversary.

The main visual changes are the new A/C that the 25th was to carry and the striped side boards.

Not all cars with stripes are 88.5. To me the best way to know is the A/C because too many people liked the stripes those days and put them on non 88.5. I also wonder who now hates the stripes and removed them from the 88.5... As for the A/C no one really pays any attention for changing it.

the last change posted out there was the electric was wired differently for better reliability (at last) but you cant really see that.

Joe's did mentioned 70 cars but I think he is way off like I also was a few years ago. I already have 60 cars identified as 88.5. The real way to know is to ID the vin of the last non 88.5 (Qv with none of the items listed above). I narrowed it to 9 cars.

Then validate the assumptions that by 1988, the factory only did 88.5 from the first vin ID'ed as an 88.5 and they were disciplined in assigning the VIN to the cars made.

What are you considering as 88.5? They started putting the side skirts on cars in late 87. My car is one of them.

your car has the new A/C?

25th/diablo climate control.

Alan, your car being an HLA made in July 87 cannot possibly be an 88.5. If you have the 88.5 symptoms, some serious research would need to be done to show the mods were done at the factory just for Marioalong with the new elecrical schema. That would throw a monkey wrench in my assumptions but I doubt this happened even for him. Way too early in time.

From what I understand the 88.5 are well defined out there to be made from Fall/winter 87 up to the anniversary.

The main visual changes are the new A/C that the 25th was to carry and the striped side boards.

Not all cars with stripes are 88.5. To me the best way to know is the A/C because too many people liked the stripes those days and put them on non 88.5. I also wonder who now hates the stripes and removed them from the 88.5... As for the A/C no one really pays any attention for changing it.

the last change posted out there was the electric was wired differently for better reliability (at last) but you cant really see that.

Joe's did mentioned 70 cars but I think he is way off like I also was a few years ago. I already have 60 cars identified as 88.5. The real way to know is to ID the vin of the last non 88.5 (Qv with none of the items listed above). I narrowed it to 9 cars.

Then validate the assumptions that by 1988, the factory only did 88.5 from the first vin ID'ed as an 88.5 and they were disciplined in assigning the VIN to the cars made.

In 87 the factory started fitting the 88 1/2 sideskirts. There were actually 2 types of skirts as well.. Both with vents, but one with less side strakes. They later added the digital a/c control ala 25th Anniversary that my car does not have.. Additionally I have the newer style air vents...

The discussion on fchat led me to believe that no 87 came out of the factory with side skirts. My 87 had skirts that were so nicely done, I thought maybe it was a factory add on. I never liked the look, so I removed them last year. Under the skirts, I saw the original paint and sealant on the rockers from the original flare extensions. As QV said people added the skirts on to make the cars look newer

The discussion on fchat led me to believe that no 87 came out of the factory with side skirts. My 87 had skirts that were so nicely done, I thought maybe it was a factory add on. I never liked the look, so I removed them last year. Under the skirts, I saw the original paint and sealant on the rockers from the original flare extensions. As QV said people added the skirts on to make the cars look newer

There were skirts before the new a/c from the factory. Indeed 2 type the 1 stripe and the 2 stripe. Many pre-88.5 before 87s have a single stripe (which seem to look better and less busy). A car with no new A/C is not a so called 88.5. IMO that was the big change more than the stripes.

I recall a French magazine at the time to say that finally the factory provided a real A/C and got rid of the ugly kit car buttons...

The UK guys also are saying that RHD 88.5 may not all have the new A/C just to complicate things. I have not verified that fact personally. Robert on the other board who keeps track of the UK cars seems the best person to tell. In this case I'll say to take picts of the fuse box which is supposed to be rewired from the pre-88.5 QV.

It does appears the factory moved progressively into the final 88.5 as defined by most people.

Which a bit more time and the power of the internet, I am hopeful we will find the first car with the newer A/C system.

Mine are factory install.

Just curious, how do you know that? Window sticker, any factory documentation?

I don't believe factory documents any of the sideskirts. I have the previous owners info as well as George Evans looked at the car thoroughly.

Catching up on this thread. Yes, that was Ken & QV. Here’s another one. Because I spent years looking specifically for an 88.5 I collected a lot of data.

88.5_info_2.jpg

I am a bit confused right now...

so how many cars with skirts and new A/C are around? are there 88.5 car with the old A/C?

how we call the 1987 car with factory skirts? 87.5?

looks like lamborghini in 1987 - 1988 was pretty much the same as in the 70's: a lot of random changes here and there ... :)

I am a bit confused right now...

so how many cars with skirts and new A/C are around? are there 88.5 car with the old A/C?

how we call the 1987 car with factory skirts? 87.5?

looks like lamborghini in 1987 - 1988 was pretty much the same as in the 70's: a lot of random changes here and there ... :)

Emilio: yes and no. Understading what lambo did is always a journey even for what is the simplest question.

That Fchat exchange was when I personally discovered that 88.5 for the UK was the exception of the new A/C requirement. Why is that? i dont have a clue other that maybe the wiring for RHD did not lend to it? I wish a factory worker from that time could answer that.

the RHD are the only car that can have the A/C exception.

I suspect JLA12275 tobe an 88.5 but I would need to get in touch with the seller from 4 years ago if noone knows who has that car . It was last in ohio for sale.

I really really would like to find out what was the first car with the new A/C.We are close and at least we would get a finality on something lambo.

As i said, I am very sure it is between JLA12268 and JLA12277. We just have to find pictures of the interior of these car or get their owners on this board to further narrow the field of candidate. It is between these 10 cars and I am kind of 90% convinvced JLA12277 is an 88.5 using a grainy photo.

finally i understand the term 88.5 to be a way to differentiate the "improved lambo" for sales purposes by lambo dearlers, may be establish the step up from Chrysler involvment and prepare for the anniversary feature. It is not just a term to ID skirts. That is a reasonable and logical explanation to me.

That being said the term add no value to the car from the prior QV. It is just a marketing term and it insures you to get more fresh air when youdrive in summer (except the UK guys who were in the dog house at that time and should just sweat it out :) ).

Emilio: yes and no. Understading what lambo did is always a journey even for what is the simplest question.

That Fchat exchange was when I personally discovered that 88.5 for the UK was the exception of the new A/C requirement. Why is that? i dont have a clue other that maybe the wiring for RHD did not lend to it? I wish a factory worker from that time could answer that.

the RHD are the only car that can have the A/C exception.

I suspect JLA12275 tobe an 88.5 but I would need to get in touch with the seller from 4 years ago if noone knows who has that car . It was last in ohio for sale.

I really really would like to find out what was the first car with the new A/C.We are close and at least we would get a finality on something lambo.

As i said, I am very sure it is between JLA12268 and JLA12277. We just have to find pictures of the interior of these car or get their owners on this board to further narrow the field of candidate. It is between these 10 cars and I am kind of 90% convinvced JLA12277 is an 88.5 using a grainy photo.

finally i understand the term 88.5 to be a way to differentiate the "improved lambo" for sales purposes by lambo dearlers, may be establish the step up from Chrysler involvment and prepare for the anniversary feature. It is not just a term to ID skirts. That is a reasonable and logical explanation to me.

That being said the term add no value to the car from the prior QV. It is just a marketing term and it insures you to get more fresh air when youdrive in summer (except the UK guys who were in the dog house at that time and should just sweat it out :) ).

I dont think the a/c works any better in an 88.5 . Simply the controls are electronic.