Lamborghini Has Just Guaranteed Its Cars Will Forever Sound Amazing

sl55

It’s impossible to forget the sound of a Lamborghini. The V10 or V12 bark is just one of many signature trademarks the Italian supercar company has long been known to do. We’re not at all complaining, but we were a bit concerned not long ago as we watched a prototype of the upcoming Urus SUV go way too quietly by on the Nurburgring. Could switching to a twin-turbo V8 really be that bad? Turns out everything should be just fine.

Lamborghini has just announced that, in addition to expanding the size of its Sant’#### Bolognese production facility to make room for the Urus, it’s also built a new room. This isn’t just some sort of VIP lounge or anything. No, it’s an acoustic test room. It’s important enough for CEO Stefano Domenicali and other high-ranking board members to be present for its inauguration last week. This acoustic test room, according to Lamborghini, "has been realized according to the latest technical standards, allows adjustments of particular sound sensations in order to create the typical Lamborghini driving experience, involving all the senses."

The testing room also "supports the acoustic adjustment of lightweight construction components." Whether or not those V10s and V12s will be around forever remains uncertain, but at least all future Lamborghini’s will still make our ears and senses very happy.

635177.jpg

635178.jpg

Sadly its probably to make it quieter to meet standards not to make sure it sounds good although they may do that as well.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the good old ear test as it does a flyby or rev to tell me if it sounds good or not.

edit to add I heard recently the replacement engine is likely to be 4.0 V12 with electric

Something doesn't look right from those pics.

Unless it's a brand new revolutionary technology for sound, the furnishing in that room does not make much sense at all. The walls and floor of that room resemble those of a walk-in cooler/freezer. Everything seems highly reflective and "bouncy" for sound. Compare to the real driving environment on the open road; except perhaps for a tunnel; that room seems everything that it should not be. It's look likes the exact opposite of an anechoic chamber which is what should be used to tune the engine sound.

I agree with topjay that it's likely used to make it quieter to meet the noise regs. Or worse, and it looks very likely, they are testing fake engine sound like what BMW has in their cars now to improve the aural sensation.

THE SV FROM factory sounded like a Toyota prius. In 2012; and 2014 I bought aventadors begging for them to be loud and I refuse to modify with aftermarket exhaust. in 2014-15 they had great software upgrade opening valves. I was upset it took 2-3 years before I had a good sounding car. Now I got the 2016 coupe sv I was devastated. It was silent. I got the upgrade.. I got an SV roadster and I'm in LOVE with the upgraded new race exhaust.. but ... it was from 2012-2014 that aventadors sounded weak and they still deliver them very quiet. The SV is so quiet.