2018 Civic Type R

Smash Boy

Unreal what we're seeing with front wheel drive hot hatches.....first the Focus RS and now this:

https://www.netcarshow.com/honda/2018-civic_type_r/#4

Honda Civic Type R

Honda revealed the all-new Honda Civic Type R at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, ahead of the model's European launch in the summer 2017. The new car builds on Honda's heritage in developing high-performance hatchbacks, and represents the segment's ultimate expression of dynamic purity.

Sharing the same fundamentals as the new Civic hatchback, the new Type R has been engineered from the ground up to deliver the most rewarding drive in the hot-hatch segment - both on road and on the race track.

Following the production model's debut at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, the all-new Honda Civic Type R has set a new benchmark lap time for front-wheel drive cars at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. On 3 April 2017, a development car lapped the world-famous circuit in 7 minutes 43.8 seconds.

Revised 2.0-litre VTEC TURBO engine and 6-speed manual transmission

The 2.0-litre VTEC TURBO 'heart' of the multi-award-winning previous generation Type R has been optimised and refined and now produces 320 PS with peak torque of 400 Nm. Throttle response and driveability have improved thanks to optimised engine control settings.

The smooth and precise six-speed manual transmission is further improved by a rev match control system, ensuring no compromise in the Type R's intimate, rewarding connection with the driver.

A stiffer chassis and revised suspension

The new Honda Civic Type R takes the lighter, more rigid body shell of the new Civic hatchback and adds further use of adhesive in key areas. Compared to the previous Type R, torsional rigidity is further improved by 38%.

The front Macpherson strut suspension of the standard hatchback is revised with new geometry to minimise torque steer and maximise sporty handling. At the rear, the new independent multi-link system of the standard car is improved with the use of unique high rigidity suspension arms.

Enhanced driving modes

An enhanced selection of driving modes give the car greater usability compared to the previous Type R. A new 'Comfort' setting sits alongside agile 'Sport' and track-focused '+R' modes. Each selection tailors the adaptive dampers, steering force, gear shift feeling and throttle response of the car on demand.

Refined aerodynamics for high-speed stability

The all-new Honda Civic Type R has a more comprehensive aerodynamic package than the previous model, including a smoother underbody, front air curtain, a lightweight rear wing and vortex generators at the trailing edge of the roof line. The muscular, aggressive body has a best-in-class balance between lift and drag, contributing to greater high speed stability.

Produced in Europe, exported to major markets worldwide

Production of the new Honda Civic Type R is anticipated to start in summer 2017 at Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM) in Swindon - the global manufacturing hub for the 10th generation Civic hatchback.

The Type R will be exported across Europe and to other markets around the world, including Japan and the US. Its arrival in North America will mark the first time that any Honda-badged Type R has been officially sold there.

post-1098-1493388525.jpg

post-1098-1493388566.jpg

post-1098-1493388575.jpg

post-1098-1493388589.jpg

post-1098-1493388738.jpg

If they didn't look utterly ridiculous it would be a perk.

I did drive an APR tuned DSG GTI the other day, it may have taken the crown as best fwd car ever from the Mini Cooper S. That little turd was making around 300hp to the tires and would make a fun little beater.

Agree about the looks.

I'm hearing the Focus RS is the ultimate FWD car. Even the ST is a standout car.

It's AWD not FWD. The ST is FWD. Golf R is a tossup to the RS, but both are very good from what I hear.

Call me crazy but the styling has actually really grown on me. Thought it was terrible at first but its getting more appealing every time I see it now. Was considering buy a Focus RS but now I kind of want to wait for one of these instead.

cant get past those exhaust pipes, looks like a bunch of disproportioned air horns lol

good ring time though for a FWD 2.0.

It's AWD not FWD. The ST is FWD. Golf R is a tossup to the RS, but both are very good from what I hear.

Oops, forgot about that!

Id be embarrassed to drive it in public..... looks ridiculous... are the hello kitty neck pillows an option?

:iamwithstupid:

The older model EK9 built between 1997-2000 was my favorite one, my brother used to have one, since then Honda lost the plot with their designs, they just look like cartoon characters.

Oops, forgot about that!

Another thing to consider, the RS doesn't respond that well to upgrades, a tune and such gets you around 25 real hp, and the stock numbers are pretty legit. Tuned they see like 340 to the tires from the 2.5L

VW lies.. but in a good way this time. The Golf R is pretty underrated stock, with an APR tune they put 390 TO THE TIRES.

And it doesn't look like something from a F&F wet dream.

This little thing with a tune will put the wood to a lot of 'sports' cars, and is pretty damn unsuspecting unless you know what it is. Drives similar to a cooper jcw just a shit load faster.

546b17a5d0d60___p1040758_lg.jpg

Agreed the golf at least has some dignity, and is a respectable mid priced car. Anyone over 25 would just look like a fool in the civic. Show up to a business meeting in a suit with that thing.... no one would take you seriously.

My daily is a 2013 MkVI golf R completely stock and I absolutely love it as a beater. Just ticked over 70k miles. The MkVII is a big leap forward in terms of interior and power. Also love the fact that these cars aren't all riced out. Respect from people that know what it is and respect from people at work that think I drive an econobox.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, but I agree it's not something you would want to show up to a business meeting in. Have it as a secondary fun car.

Just bought a 17 Focus RS and can say the car is fantastic! It is so much fun to drive, sounds good, has a warranty, and is practical.

Congrats, what color?