Favorite hiphop song so far for 2011

sprite

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least all rappers aren't crap.

If you listen to hiphop please buy lupe's album.

:eusa_think:

Lupe......hip-hop? More like hip-POP :icon_mrgreen:

I expected more from Lupe, that being said Coming Up and Never Forget You are good. But I understand the constraints on his album, his hands were tied. Talib had some good tracks on Gutter Rainbows. Crooked I had some really good stuff show up this year already as well. It's started off as a decent year so far, hopefully it continues.

Although it was created in 2007, a good song right now since it released a few months ago is Syllables ft. Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Ca$his and Stat Quo - Eminem. I know many may think negatively given half of the artists, but I urge you to give it a chance, especially since I'm also one of those conscious hip-hop people too.

Edit: haha, I check out BiggyJiggy Mixtapes as well, started before their S.G. days.

It's hard to beat Em, T.I and Kanye right now..

LOL it isn't hard to beat TI because he's in jail :eusa_dance:

good song

Travis Barker is releasing a new album as well with some rappers, I listened to some tracks on youtube and it sounds really good.

LOL it isn't hard to beat TI because he's in jail :eusa_dance:

good song

Travis Barker is releasing a new album as well with some rappers, I listened to some tracks on youtube and it sounds really good.

hdmixtapes.com, you can find all the songs from his mixtape and some of the upcoming ones that he's releasing soon, mixtapetorrent has his mixtape on there - Let The Drummer Get Wicked

:eusa_think:

Lupe......hip-hop? More like hip-POP :icon_mrgreen:

You think so?

I heard his latest album which has an electronic influence for sure, but his older stuff like "Kick, Push" and "Pressure" have a more underground but still commercially viable feel like Talib Kweli or Mos Def.

It's hard to beat Em, T.I and Kanye right now..

I like these three (Kanye only on a musical level, hate him otherwise), but feel their best work is past them. Still capable of course, but man the standards for rap used to be much, much higher.

You should add Ludacris to that list....he's paid his dues many times over.

I was talking to my friend the other day about guys like Cam'Ron and Jadakiss and how they weren't highly regarded in the late '90s/early '00s but upon closer inspection they are/were much better than they got credit for.

And what about tax lien Xzibit? Why is he struggling while others thrive? He might have been 1-2 big hits away from becoming truly mainstream. He had everything going for him, the voice, the lyrics, association with Em & Dre....shame.

Nowadays we have people saying Lil Wayne is one of the best guys out.... :eusa_wall:

Nowadays we have people saying Lil Wayne is one of the best guys out.... :eusa_wall:

im sorry..those people are obviously deaf...everytime his voice appears..it ruins the song lol

I was talking to my friend the other day about guys like Cam'Ron and Jadakiss and how they weren't highly regarded in the late '90s/early '00s but upon closer inspection they are/were much better than they got credit for.

That list for being much better than they got credit for is huge in hip hop. Slaughterhouse just got credit, but really it's because of the four individuals - Crooked I, Joel Ortiz, Joe Buddens, and Royce are all really good lyrically.

Bishop Lamont also left Aftermath, but his Shawshank Redemption 3 Mixtape was good, definitely worth look into; Get Inspired is a really good song and Rain if you want something really surprising and weird.

Papoose and recently Mysonne are both good if you can find the songs. Chamillionaire's mixtapes (I stress Mixtape here) are very good, much better than what you heard on the radio. Check out the songs Life Goes On, Rocky Road and his Mixtape Messiahs, Major Pain and Playlist Poison stuff. I'm not even kidding here. Big L also was good, but he was shot as well. (Although R.I.P to Nate Dogg).

The list actually goes on, but back in the early 90's and 00's both got over shadowed by larger than life people. Many good rappers were out then, but Nas had dropped Illmatic which has been declared one of the best hip hop albums ever, Tupac and Notorious B.I.G had the war going on, after that Jay Z and Nas had the war going on, but by then Cash Money Records started their rap-pop thing and by then a lot started to shift.

Edit: You might also like Epik High, check out a song called Over..it's a Korean group but the song is in English.

Speaking of the 90s and Nas... :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_super:

In terms of pure street flow and lyrics, I still think the vintage Nas is a bit better than the vintage Jay Z or Biggie.

For that era, his flow and voice were perfect. His appearances on Raekwon, Mobb Deep, AZ, Kool G. Rap's albums back then all were all very noteworthy.

I feel bad for how much Lupe's new album is so constrained. The scary part is that i think its still good and shows how good an album with his full thought process could be amazing. The Carter 4 for Lil Wayne is what I am really waiting for, and Drake's second album, whenever that will be.

:icon_super:

In terms of pure street flow and lyrics, I still think the vintage Nas is a bit better than the vintage Jay Z or Biggie.

For that era, his flow and voice were perfect. His appearances on Raekwon, Mobb Deep, AZ, Kool G. Rap's albums back then all were all very noteworthy.

I agree with you completely... Based on PURE flow, delivery and lyrics. Lets put body of work aside, cause Jay-Z blows everyone away. Old school Nas is better than all except maybe Rakim. Speaking of overlooked all-timers, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, all from that era. Redman, Wu Tang and the crew...A LOT of quality in the 90s-early 2000s.

Since we're talking about the heavyweights...And I'm gonna go out on a limb though, this wont be a popular statement, but......I NEVER understood all the hoopla over Tupac's flow. He was slightly above average at best, to me. I even listen to his stuff NOW trying to hear things that sets him apart and its hard to find. No metaphors, word play or anything, just plain rhyming word at the end of each line. Nothing wrong with that, but like basic rappin' for dummies stuff imo. I still don't see the "Greatness" everyone drapes over his memory...oh well. Maybe it was his influence, that influenced, so many to feel he was a great lyricist.

I agree with you completely... Based on PURE flow, delivery and lyrics. Lets put body of work aside, cause Jay-Z blows everyone away. Old school Nas is better than all except maybe Rakim. Speaking of overlooked all-timers, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, all from that era. Redman, Wu Tang and the crew...A LOT of quality in the 90s-early 2000s.

Since we're talking about the heavyweights...And I'm gonna go out on a limb though, this wont be a popular statement, but......I NEVER understood all the hoopla over Tupac's flow. He was slightly above average at best, to me. I even listen to his stuff NOW trying to hear things that sets him apart and its hard to find. No metaphors, word play or anything, just plain rhyming word at the end of each line. Nothing wrong with that, but like basic rappin' for dummies stuff imo. I still don't see the "Greatness" everyone drapes over his memory...oh well. Maybe it was his influence, that influenced, so many to feel he was a great lyricist.

Swil, I totally agree about 2pac.....I never understood the appeal behind him as one of the greats. From a technical aspect it's hard to argue that he's even top tier...

However, when you combine the actual music and lyrics, his albums start to take on a higher level of quality. In that context I can appreciate 2pac a lot more.

I'm more of a music first, lyrics/rap/singing 2nd kinda guy these days....so a later 2pac album will be more appealing to me than it once did. And for those that care, a lot of his stuff was recorded to good ole analog tape and mastered well so it actually sounds very nice too. :icon_thumleft:

You mentioned some good names from the golden era....that list is very long and I'm sure there's stuff I don't even know about that I should.

Not to go off topic, but R&B used to be the ish back then too.