Panama Papers

capt_chaos

Those that love Putin may want to have a read but expect this news to dominate the news this week/month/year(s).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35918844

https://panamapapers.icij.org/ - Lots of news sources linking to this site which is the source of the story so has been crashing for the last hour or so.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/0...e-panama-papers

Has anyone heard of the one where you get a guy who has nothing to lose, maybe a homeless guy, and make him a CEO of a company, so when shit hits the fan, he's the one who goes to jail.

The super rich will always have ways of hiding and moving their money. It's us peons that run into the problems.

Oh no, dictators laundering money, now that's really disappointing :icon_mrgreen:

Ive read several sources that say that putin is actually the wealthiest man in the world.

Has anyone heard of the one where you get a guy who has nothing to lose, maybe a homeless guy, and make him a CEO of a company, so when shit hits the fan, he's the one who goes to jail.

Happened to me, one of my tenants got a bum student, made him the CEO of his company, personal guarantee the lease, after he defaulted on the rent and subsequently went bankrupt we went to serve him personally we learned that the CEO of a multimillion dollar corporation was living in a rented one bedroom apartment did not fully master english yet and was sipping on $2 cups of Ramen LOL.

I could've bankrupted him personally and ruin his life but we just walked away, not worth it the idiot had no idea what he signed, he got conned.

Ive read several sources that say that putin is actually the wealthiest man in the world.

same here and I am pretty sure it's correct, he controls so many resources.

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is, why would he hide money overseas, he owns the country, I guess as a precaution.

The super rich will always have ways of hiding and moving their money. It's us peons that run into the problems.

I think you have to start making some before you worry about places to hide it :icon_mrgreen:

I was also told that he has biggest collection of AP and PP watches

There was a thread on another forum showing him in pictures with different watches

I was also told that he has biggest collection of AP and PP watches

There was a thread on another forum showing him in pictures with different watches

same here and I am pretty sure it's correct, he controls so many resources.

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is, why would he hide money overseas, he owns the country, I guess as a precaution.

You have to laugh, a significant global story which reveals dubious behaviour and we discuss watches.

Putin puts his money abroad so that he cannot be accused of having a conflict of interest back at home.

Link?

Putin is Putin. He doesn't need the title of world's wealthiest person, or to even have a billion dollars. He's PUTIN. He can have whatever the fcuk he wants. What is he going to do with billions of dollars in off shore banks? Build a megayacht? More watches? I just don't buy it.

This leak better come up with some really juicy details soon, otherwise it's much ado about nothing.

They sensationalized the shit out of it, now time to produce.

I agree, I read an article on CNN that said repeatedly "if you dont think this news is a big deal think again" - weird angle to take on something so irrefutable

Putin is Putin. He doesn't need the title of world's wealthiest person, or to even have a billion dollars. He's PUTIN. He can have whatever the fcuk he wants. What is he going to do with billions of dollars in off shore banks? Build a megayacht? More watches? I just don't buy it.

This leak better come up with some really juicy details soon, otherwise it's much ado about nothing.

Erm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35959604

Mossack Fonseca worked with 33 individuals or companies who have placed under sanctions by the US Treasury, including companies based in Iran, Zimbabwe and North Korea.

One had links to North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.

The information comes from the leak of 11m of the company's internal files.

Mossack Fonseca registers companies as offshore entities operated under its own name. This meant the identities of the real owners were hard to trace because they were kept out of public documents

DCB Finance was established in 2006, with its owners and directors based in North Korea's capital Pyongyang. It was later put under sanctions by the US Treasury for raising funds for the North Korean regime and being linked to a bank helping to fund the regime's nuclear weapons programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35960856

some of the cash from one of Britain's most notorious crimes was laundered using a company set up by a Panamanian law firm.

Documents show Mossack Fonseca formed a company that was used to launder money from the 1983 Brink's Mat robbery.

The stolen bullion, worth £26m at 1983 gold prices, disappeared offshore.

There is so much data it is like a big ball of string that needs to be unravelled so details will grow and grow.

There is a reason 107 media organisations in 76 countries have this as their top story because what I have quoted above is the tip of the iceberg.

We see James Bond films with this kind of global tentacles at the core of the plot and yet not even 48hours after the story has broken we need to see bodies hanging from the gallows.

I don't really follow how a serious legal firm could have al these files sitting on a server in an unencrypted/non-passworded form

Wonder where the data came from - probably NSA trying to find something to sink Trump with

I don't really follow how a serious legal firm could have al these files sitting on a server in an unencrypted/non-passworded form

Wonder where the data came from - probably NSA trying to find something to sink Trump with

My money is IT support services person trying to be the next Snowden.

But why leak to a German paper?

Isn't this stolen data? I mean isn't it illegal to have all these details published? Aside from the utter ruination of the law firm in Panama, this data still belongs to them. I haven't seen any comments yet on the legality of this "leak". Can governments act on illegally obtained information?

Also having an offshore company is not illegal, perhaps some were seeking shelter or privacy for their affairs, I think it's immoral to make all this info publicly available. What about the people with legitimate reasons for having an offshore company? Is it really a surprise to anyone that say the king of Saudi Arabia had an offshore company? Apparently he owned some property and a yacht through that company. There's nothing illegal in that... Probably plenty of others do the same for privacy reasons. Wouldn't this be a breach of their privacy and therefore illegal, and expose the publications to legal liabilities?

Perhaps he has some connection to Germany.

It all makes sense now, the Germans need money to pay for VAG's emission scandal :icon_mrgreen:

Isn't this stolen data? I mean isn't it illegal to have all these details published? Aside from the utter ruination of the law firm in Panama, this data still belongs to them. I haven't seen any comments yet on the legality of this "leak". Can governments act on illegally obtained information?

Also having an offshore company is not illegal, perhaps some were seeking shelter or privacy for their affairs, I think it's immoral to make all this info publicly available. What about the people with legitimate reasons for having an offshore company. Is it really a surprise to anyone that say the king of Saudi Arabia had an offshore company? Apparently he owned some property and a yacht through that company.

Certainly within the UK and I would imagine the same with the US a prosecution for theft would have to be in the interest of the public but there have been prosecutions for it.

Take for example the situation in Iceland. They are not taking it well and there could be a change of the countries leadership before the end of the week. The people don't care that it is illegally obtained info and I am sure Romandad can offer far more on this aspect than I ever can but cut it how you like it does not change the fact to be a lie.

Just saw on the news here that because there are implications with Chinese officials, internet searches on Panama are censored.

My question is, who is going to prosecute these people for tax evasion when they are mostly heads of state?