Projector Screen what aspect ratio?

fmari

So I got this Sony 4K projector coming in... VPL-VW285ES. Now I can't decide if I should get a 16:9 or 2.35:1 screen. I think I will end up watching movies most of the time. Maybe my son will use it from time to time for gaming. Any advise?

I prefer 16:9 for fullscreen TV broadcasts [mostly sports] and video games. Empty unused top/bottom space during movies don't bother me.

If you will be watching movies most of the time, then get the 2.35:1 ratio.

16:9 got all the hype when the industry started to market the big screen TV as that was the so-called "industrial standard". But movies are actually hardly ever in 16:9. But I also agree with sprite, if you watch a lot of sports events via TV broadcast, then 16:9 would also work.

I have a 120" 16:9 we watch a lot of movies, but the empty space is not even noticeable really.. I don't know if you go with the other ratio how the 16:9 format shows up.. does it just add side bars or do you have to adjust your projector each time you go to a 16:9 source? I would imagine side bars one way or top and bottom bars the other..

I recall years ago when BrianWilsonUK was still a member here I had a huge debate with him about 16:9 ratio. I still stand by those words today.

In short, the 16.9:1 "standard" had been blown way out of proportions. Any videophile or hardcore HT buff or movie buff will say that even the 2.35 ratio is not standardized but rather a mere generalization. 2.35, 2.39 and 2.4 are all considered part of the norm and fall under the anamorphic format. Chances are Testshoot would be the expert on this subject.

In actual fact though, it really doesn't matter too much for home theatre application. A) It's not just the screen size; the distance between the viewer and the screen plays a vital role as well. B ) And most, if not all, HT projectors have zooming capability and some has adjustable aspect ratio and the user can play with those via remote control to get an image to fill up the screen. The bezel of most high-end screens likely have a black velour or suede-like material that would absorb the stray light. Screen gain will also play a factor if we get esoteric on the image. If the screen-size and viewing distance are set properly, one would not really notice the bars anyway.

Every aspect will end up with bars either on the top and bottom or sides depending on the image/source. I find constant height the most advantageous so go wide. Generally the wider images are better quality and will do a better job with the larger image and the crappier tv stuff will benefit from being a little smaller.

Stewart Filmscreen if you want the best material available. All made in house starting from liquid form right in California.

If you are watching typical broadcast tv, then it is 16x9. If you have a fixed 2.35:1 screen then you will have bars on the sides. The opposite will occur with top and bottom bars when watching a wide screen movie with a 16x9 screen.

For my store display, I use the 675ES with a 2.35:1 SF firehawk with side/vertical masking. The projectors motorized zoom function works in conjunction with the motorized screen to give you full screen for both ratios. It’s cheating a bit using the zoom function but I like the results better than using an anamorphic lens. This can also be achieved with the new 385es projector.

Feel free to pm me.

So I got this Sony 4K projector coming in... VPL-VW285ES. Now I can't decide if I should get a 16:9 or 2.35:1 screen. I think I will end up watching movies most of the time. Maybe my son will use it from time to time for gaming. Any advise?

I've had a Sony 4K for about 3 years now (600ES), and I got a 16:9 130" wide screen. I debated all the things that are probably going thru your mind, and ended up with a simple conclusion: buy the native aspect ratio of the projector. This has worked well as a compromise, and I don't mind black bars top and bottom in my darkened movie room. In fact I can't really see them. But what I would be able to see is a smaller screen for 16:9 material if I'd gone with a 2.35 screen, the room is only so wide.

The problem with going to a 2.35 screen is that it's not really a standard for every movie. Many of the older '70s to '90s movies I watch are 1.85, which would be truncated left and right on a 2.xx screen. Even if you get a 2.35 screen there will be a 2.20 movie that will piss you off, then a 2.4, then a... the point is that unless you have a motorized masking system and a projector with many position/size memories there is always going to be something wrong: black bars, picture too small etc, unless of course you only watch one movie, in which case optimize for that and be done.

Last point: you wrote "I think". Assuming you don't know exactly what your use is going to be, don't assume it's only going to be 2.35 movies, and leave yourself the most flexibility.

Thanks for all the information guys !!

Not sure what the native aspect ratio is for this projector

http://www.abt.com/product/115757/Sony-4K-...VPLVW285ES.html

Silly question, when streaming from Netflix, will everything be 16:9 or can aspect ratios even vary from Netflix or Amazon streaming.

Damn, does the SI black diamond really make that much of a difference? Does the slate also make such a big difference?

I have the diamond and yes it makes a huge difference. worth the coin IMO

On the movie theater front.. Im about to remodel my home in Scottsdale and I want to change my theater setup from a 120 inch screen to a 200 inch screen. Any siggestions? Going to need a new 4k projector as well.

On the movie theater front.. Im about to remodel my home in Scottsdale and I want to change my theater setup from a 120 inch screen to a 200 inch screen. Any siggestions? Going to need a new 4k projector as well.

For a 200" screen, unless you're going with a very high gain, the only non-commercial projector that is bright enough is the Sony 5000 at $50K. And for HDR you may need 2 of them. You'll need a separate room to mount and cool them too.

Damn, does the SI black diamond really make that much of a difference? Does the slate also make such a big difference?

I'm pretty happy with the slate, can only imagine the black diamond is even more awesome.

For a 200" screen, unless you're going with a very high gain, the only non-commercial projector that is bright enough is the Sony 5000 at $50K. And for HDR you may need 2 of them. You'll need a separate room to mount and cool them too.

2 projectors at 100k? Surely there must be something that will work for less?

2 projectors at 100k? Surely there must be something that will work for less?

most home projectors can't generate that much brightness for a 200" screen. you need like 16 foot lamberts of brightness if your room is completely dark. if you have any ambient light then you may need more like 40 ftl.

(Projector Lumens ÷ Screen Area) x Screen Gain = ftL

edit - here's a calculator page that can help calculate recommended screen size, viewing distance/angle, and the projector lumens and foot lambert stuff.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators

most home projectors can't generate that much brightness for a 200" screen. you need like 16 foot lamberts of brightness if your room is completely dark. if you have any ambient light then you may need more like 40 ftl.

(Projector Lumens ÷ Screen Area) x Screen Gain = ftL

edit - here's a calculator page that can help calculate recommended screen size, viewing distance/angle, and the projector lumens and foot lambert stuff.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators

Here is another calculator where you can input various projectors. Keep in mind you need double the ftl for HDR and even more for 3D.

http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/

While I am not disagreeing or disputing with those calculators, they are, at best, just a quick reference. Of course, there are science and parametres that postulate the viewing distance but ultimately, it boils down to whichever and whatever is comfortable to the end user. And if we are talking esoteric, then we'll need a light metre/light spectrum analyzer to calibrate the image properly. With the 4K projectors, it's opening a new can of worms. Those in the know would concur that most specs on projectors such as light output and dynamic contrast are not really relevant anymore since we know how those figures were "achieved". And with the new laser diode bulb available, those rules and the parametres for those calculators will need to be revised again. Japan will start the 8K trial broadcast at the end of this year. The tech is simply advancing too rapidly with little standardization. So each manufacturer will set its own parametres. And in all seriousness, how many "4K" projectors are truly 4K native (i.e. no "pixel shift" allowed)?

Allan, check out the higher-end Sony's and Epson's (not the professional grade ones). Optoma is ok and likely the best bang for the buck. Just remember that you really do get what you paid for though.

CES is less than 1 week away so those who are ready for some new hardware may want to wait a bit and see what's coming. Existing gear may also have price reductions if something new is announced and coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

^I saw its final prototype in the Fall last year in Japan. While the short-throw capability is impressive, the video quality isn't quite at the same level as what Sony consumer products are capable of. At least it's not $30k-type of quality. Is the production model better? I would hope so but I doubt it will be night & day difference. For 20-25% less, Sony's own VPL-VW885ES is quite a bit superior but at regular-throw distance projection. One is paying for the short-throw distance capability on the LSPX-A1, not for its video quality and for that, IMO, $30k seems too much.

^I saw its final prototype in the Fall last year in Japan. . . . . Is the production model better?

Not according to what I am reading, the video internals of the 2018 CES product are said to be the same video as the 2017. The difference b/t last year and this year is all the $$ into upgrading the appearance, marble top, glass tweeters, etc.

I read some more reviews and one reviewer noted the picture is not as good as the Sony TVs and that this seems geared toward a high end show piece in somebody's office lobby or a business.