Lamborghini styling

Smash Boy

The hate in the McLaren thread and the general knock against Ferrari styling got me thinking about something nobody talks about.

For all the "misses" these companies have endured over the years, one thing you can't criticize them is for not trying. They should be able to do better but everything is relatively unique....458 and 599 are hardly predictable from a 355 and 550/575 Maranello.

What I'm driving at is that Lamborghini styling is essentially a more sophisticated take on the 911 theme. The Murcie is an evolution of the Diablo which is an evolution of the Countach.....would Lambo dare make a car that is not a grandchild of the Countach? The Gallardo is IMO a small Murcie. The LM002 and Estoque don't count in this discussion...2 seaters only.

I for one am content with the cars Lambo makes, but wonder if their path is the easy way out.

What if Ferrari created a 21st century 308, BB, TR, 275 GTB, 330 P4? Would that be acceptable?

Could Lambo make a non wedge that's sexy?

If Lambo could change it up and kill then I think we all would have to kneel before then, but until they do maybe we should be more forgiving of car manufacturers?

Aston Martin hit the spot with the DB7 and plowed through with the vanquish, DB9, DBS, vantage....but what happens in 5-7 more years?

Discuss. :icon_thumleft:

imagine this as a 2 seater estoque to take on the 599

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2492/433983...a389e46f6_o.jpg

I think they have the minds for it but when it comes to the mid engined V12, I think lambo is less like the 911 lineup and more like the ferrari 355->458 evolution.

Let's not forget to factor in the amount of resources Ferrari has over Lambo (i.e. $$$). The fact stands that Ferrari had absolute success in their branding (hence the Ferrari Fags :icon_mrgreen: ) so virtually any crap they churn out there will be fanboys, followers and, most importantly, buyers. The California & the 612 are perfect modern examples; the 458, to play devil's advocate, remains questionable. Lamborghini was at the verge of "extinction" before Audi came to the rescue. But Audi/VW would not just sign a blank cheque or simply keep their pockets open either. At the end of the day, it's all a corporate thing. Given the limited resources and restrictions, Lamborghini must play it safe and under such circumstances, I would say that those guys at Centro Stile are doing quite a good job! :icon_thumleft:

imagine this as a 2 seater estoque to take on the 599

4339833918_aa389e46f6_o.jpg

I think they have the minds for it but when it comes to the mid engined V12, I think lambo is less like the 911 lineup and more like the ferrari 355->458 evolution.

This is awesome! :monkeyleft:

The 2004 Gallardo still looks good to me today. When the LP 560 came out, the older version did not look any less attractive even though the new one was clearly better.

The 430 came out flawed, style wise. Even the 430 Scuderia seems like a quick fix that never got all the details correct and is a bit worse in some details. When the 458 came out, it became even more obvious how flawed the 430 always has been. Who wants a 430 now given the choice of the 458, even assuming performance was the same? As good as the general form of the 458 is, it still repeats Ferrari's seeming inability to get all the styling details down pat, but I rate it a general improvement on the 430.

Style wise, I would rather have the dated design of the 997.2 than the more ambitious 430 with its clashing and incoherent details. When you go out on a limb, I think it is even more important to get your details just right. Ferrari has failed this in recent years. They used to be so good at it as the older Ferrari models now look better than the newest ones.

This is awesome! :monkeyleft:

id buy that car. Lamborghini needs to have a "sensible" car in its lineup as it will broaden up the customer base to include active individuals who do more than drive a 2 seater on the weekends... In an age where everyone regardless of wealth multitask their day, a sensible car like this could only help Lamborghini in its sales.

As to style language, it seems that Lamborghini has adopted the wedge design as its calling card to differentiate from other brands. Its not wrong to do so as you see with most all audi styling themes. But, usually a styling language changes every decade or so... so perhaps there might be a change in the forth coming years...

id buy that car. Lamborghini needs to have a "sensible" car in its lineup as it will broaden up the customer base to include active individuals who do more than drive a 2 seater on the weekends... In an age where everyone regardless of wealth multitask their day, a sensible car like this could only help Lamborghini in its sales.

:iamwithstupid:

they will make the Estoque no doubt about it.