Best Exercise to cut body fat/Gain Muscle

pockmark

Over the past 2 years, I have become very lazy when it comes to exercizing, and it is starting to really show. As previously mentioned, I used to be in very good shape 6-7 years ago, and kept it for a while, but the time has come to start really getting serious before I let myself go too far. I have also made a commitment to my wife to quit smoking in 1 month, so if I dont exercize and quit smoking, I will gain serious weight.

What are your recommendations to shred bodyfat and build muscle at the same time? I know how to get bigger/stronger, but I would like to do both at the same time. I have heard good things about P90X, but I already have an LA Fitness membership.

Couple things I know I will need to do off the bat are:

-No sodas (Which is REALLY tough for me)

-No Redbull/Vodka (Same thing), and I drink a redbull EVERY day when I wake up.

-Cut down sugar

-Cut down carbs

-Cut down on salt.

-No fast food.

-No fried foods.

I am currently 6 foot 1 235 lbs. I want to get back down to 225 with around 10-12% body fat. Not sure what my BF % is now, but I would gather it is pretty high. Used to be 260 lbs with 8% bodyfat, but that takes years to do.

Also, what are the latest/greatest suppliments to help me attain my goals?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past 2 years, I have become very lazy when it comes to exercizing, and it is starting to really show. As previously mentioned, I used to be in very good shape 6-7 years ago, and kept it for a while, but the time has come to start really getting serious before I let myself go too far. I have also made a commitment to my wife to quit smoking in 1 month, so if I dont exercize and quit smoking, I will gain serious weight.

What are your recommendations to shred bodyfat and build muscle at the same time? I know how to get bigger/stronger, but I would like to do both at the same time. I have heard good things about P90X, but I already have an LA Fitness membership.

Couple things I know I will need to do off the bat are:

-No sodas (Which is REALLY tough for me)

-No Redbull/Vodka (Same thing), and I drink a redbull EVERY day when I wake up.

-Cut down sugar

-Cut down carbs

-Cut down on salt.

-No fast food.

-No fried foods.

I am currently 6 foot 1 235 lbs. I want to get back down to 225 with around 10-12% body fat. Not sure what my BF % is now, but I would gather it is pretty high. Used to be 260 lbs with 8% bodyfat, but that takes years to do.

Also, what are the latest/greatest suppliments to help me attain my goals?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Tracking this for sure.

Pretty much identical for me.

And looking for feedback on P90X as well.

Cardio. Sounds like you already have the muscle there. Just need to burn off the extra weight so you'll lose some muscle mass during this time but I would advise doing high rep sets with low weights when doing actual weight lifting but get some solid cardio in daily. I don't do the supplements so I can't provide any help there.

Guest SP-superJay

The P90 program is really rigorous, and you definitely have to be up for the challenge...but I havent heard a single bad thing about it. As long as you have the determination.

1. Vary your exercises if you're planning to go to the gym every day. I usually do cardio one day, weight lift the next, and so on.

2. Portion your meals as to only eat for energy, and not to get full. Doing this, you will probably start eating 5 meals a day, but these should be small portions. One of the main reasons Europeans tend to be so lean is because they eat more smaller portions.

3. There is a supplement company called YOR Health. Their supplements work really well from what I hear, but they are not FDA approved yet.

4. Dont overwork yourself, and expect to see results immediately. Be patient with yourself.

It seems you already know what to cut out of your life, i.e: smoking, soda, fast food...so you can take it to the next level. I quit smoking cold turkey after 8 years? And it wasn't hard for me at all, it's been 1.5 years. I was a pretty heavy smoker too, but I never smoked anything harsher than Marlboro 27s. And I've been 3 weeks soda free, but I indulge in McDonald's Iced Coffee every now and then haha. Shits too good to pass up!

Good Luck!!

As far as trimming down P90X is really effective and it does not take up too much of your day.

As far as your diet goes, it's not rocket science. Eat clean, high protein, relatively low carb foods every couple of hours. You want to make sure you are getting enough protein to support your muscle. I've worked as a personal trainer for 5 years and I currently own a nutrition store so I've been in the business for awhile. The biggest problem I see is people not being consistent, it's going to take longer than a week to get in shape. It really has to be lifestyle change. As far as supplements go, let me know if I can answer any particular questions for you.

Good Luck!

-Jason

to shed the fat, you will need to start with cardio as your primary workout, with weights. As you start to get into better shape, and as your body fat composition changes, put more emphasis on weights for getting bigger.

There are no short cuts to getting into shape. It took you 7 years to get to this state, it will take time and focus to get into better shape.

Taking time off and losing good fitness has always been a fear of mine. I havent taken more than two days off from doing something in over 20 years. Even if it was a 30 minute work out.

When you start to workout, start taking suppliments and eating better. Soda is a killer. To dealkanize soda takes like 10 grams of water per one gram of soda. Its very bad. Pasta isnt such a bad thing if you are burning carbs. I think that pasta got a bad wrap. If you are sedentary, excess carbs can turn into fat. But, if you are working out, you need to replace the glycogen level in your body, and complex carbs and sports drinks can do this. Just in moderation.

As far as suppliments, I have been taking M-Stack by Universal, along with Creatine , tribulus, and a high quality multi-vitamin. I am sugnifacantly older than you and Im sure my testosterone levels are lower than yours, so you may not need to focus on that type of help.

Give yourself time to come back. DOnt rush. If you rush, you risk injury. Injuries will either delay your comeback, or totally derail your efforts. Pay attention to your body. If it hurts, do an easy workout for that day. Invest in a heart rate monitor. You will be able to track how you feel before, during and after your workout and what your heart is doing.

Just some thoughts. Its not easy, but set a goal, plan it out and stick to it.

Yea quitting smoking will be HARD for me. Been smoking a pack a day for 11 years. Need to do it though for my health. Plus it will save me roughly $200/month which I can put towards a new toy.

What I am thinking is hit the gym 6 days a week for 3 months on a strict diet as mentioned above. Then if I dont have the results I want, at least I should be conditioned enough to begin a P90X regimen.

RedBull Sugarless tastes better then Regular Red Bull to me.

I started 2 days ago. Running the hills in Hollywood. Already in Pain... :(

forgot, drink lots of water. Water will help flush the toxins and rehydrate.

Yup, try to get a gallon a day.

Topcarbon, where do you get your supplements?

-J

As far as trimming down P90X is really effective and it does not take up too much of your day.

As far as your diet goes, it's not rocket science. Eat clean, high protein, relatively low carb foods every couple of hours. You want to make sure you are getting enough protein to support your muscle. I've worked as a personal trainer for 5 years and I currently own a nutrition store so I've been in the business for awhile. The biggest problem I see is people not being consistent, it's going to take longer than a week to get in shape. It really has to be lifestyle change. As far as supplements go, let me know if I can answer any particular questions for you.

Good Luck!

-Jason

Jason,

Looking for the following:

-A multivitamin that gives lots of energy, but doesn't turn my urine neon green like Mega Men GNC

-A protein shake+bar that tastes great, but does not have lots of carbs and calories

-A suppliment for RAPID muscle repair.

-Any other recommended suppliments to attain my stated goals-lean mass.

-Potentially something like NO2 that provides more vein definition.

quiting without drugs would be the best, but the hardest.

Funny, I quit on drugs and it worked for me!

5 days in the hospital with a Morphine Drip prior to Surgery will help you quit anything :)

Really though.

I started an intense work out a couple days ago (again) and now I am hurting a bit. (Stupid Mayweather 24/7 HBO special inspired me)

Want to go today. Is it better to take it slow today, push hard through the pain (what I normally do) or take the day off?

Funny, I quit on drugs and it worked for me!

5 days in the hospital with a Morphine Drip prior to Surgery will help you quit anything :)

Really though.

I started an intense work out a couple days ago (again) and now I am hurting a bit. (Stupid Mayweather 24/7 HBO special inspired me)

Want to go today. Is it better to take it slow today, push hard through the pain (what I normally do) or take the day off?

Depends on how long you have been working out and your age. When I was playing highschool football, there were days in the Summer (2 or 3 a day practices) that I could barely walk. I just pushed through it the next day. If I did the same thing now, I would be in big trouble.

BTW sugarfree Redbull is HORRIBLE IMO.

Jason,

Looking for the following:

-A multivitamin that gives lots of energy, but doesn't turn my urine neon green like Mega Men GNC

-A protein shake+bar that tastes great, but does not have lots of carbs and calories

-A suppliment for RAPID muscle repair.

-Any other recommended suppliments to attain my stated goals-lean mass.

-Potentially something like NO2 that provides more vein definition.

there are a billion products out there.

I use Universal products for the most part only because I was sponsored by them years ago.

here is a internet site that has everything at descent prices: http://www.mysupplementstore.com/

quiting without drugs would be the best, but the hardest.

captain-obvious.jpg

j/k Jason

Mike, sugarfree redbull is horrible, but you'll get used to it or any other sugarfree drink. The regular energy drinks amount of sugars are so bad. They cause diuresis along with the caffiene and sugar spikes and insulin dumping etc.

Also, a testosterone suppliment is always good if you have any good recommendations. I took some androstene in High school, and that is when I was the biggest. I was a little moody though.

Depends on how long you have been working out and your age. When I was playing highschool football, there were days in the Summer (2 or 3 a day practices) that I could barely walk. I just pushed through it the next day. If I did the same thing now, I would be in big trouble.

BTW sugarfree Redbull is HORRIBLE IMO.

I'm 16 so I think my body should be fine.

Sugarless Redbull is far better IMHO. :) Next time I'm in florida i'll pull a switcharoo on your Vodka/Redbull and you'll see :) ha......

BTW...Kidding..31. I guess I'll push today and see how it goes.

Guest SP-superJay

Depends on if you just started exercising again...if you barely just started up again, I'd take it a little slow or else you'll be doing damage to your muscles. And your age does come into factor as well. Either let your muscles recoup then get back on your routine, or push it and invest in muscle repair supplements or Whey protein shakes to regenerate your muscles. Be sure to drink plenty of water as your body needs to distribute the oxygen properly.

I'm 16 so I think my body should be fine.

Sugarless Redbull is far better IMHO. :) Next time I'm in florida i'll pull a switcharoo on your Vodka/Redbull and you'll see :) ha......

BTW...Kidding..31. I guess I'll push today and see how it goes.

Push through, but exercise different muscle groups than last time and drink lots of water. The lactic acid is going to hurt you more otherwise.

Depends on if you just started exercising again...if you barely just started up again, I'd take it a little slow or else you'll be doing damage to your muscles. And your age does come into factor as well. Either let your muscles recoup then get back on your routine, or push it and invest in muscle repair supplements or Whey protein shakes to regenerate your muscles. Be sure to drink plenty of water as your body needs to distribute the oxygen properly.

Have you been out to Runyon?

runyon2.jpg

I've started running Runyon till my body can't take it anymore. Then I walk until I have enough energy to run again.