The health of the modern day sportsman

capt_chaos

A fortnight ago this 23 year old guy...

Fabrice-Muamba-Hospital_2741842.jpg

was dead For 78 minutes

Now his pursuit of elite fitness clearly put some strain on his heart but did is his pursuit of elite fitness enable him to be sitting up in bed today?

I mean I saw footage of him going down and it was nothing less than chilling. But the response, the turn around to be sitting up right in a bed is phenomenal but is this pursuit actually harming the long term health of modern athletes?

• 7 months later...
:icon_thumleft:

He's INCREDIBLY lucky to be alive.

Understatement of the year right here :)

• 1 year later...

Vampire... Just kidding. I agree. For every one of these stories, there are HUNDREDS that didn't turn out this way. Very fortunate fella.

The lack of brain damage is more due to the quality of CPR he was getting during the whole ordeal rather than the shape he was in. He had immediate attention and was lucky enough to be brought back. He may not have had the episode happen if he wasn't stressing his heart, but there are plenty of explanations that have more to do with hereditary and genetic problems that would have happened just as easily if he was out of shape.

I've been interested in the studies that have shown that all mammals, regardless of size, all get about one billion heartbeats from birth to death. It's been an ongoing back and forth with my wife, discussing whether marathons and other endurance sports can actually shorten your life rather than extending it. Here's an interesting article I showed her a while ago.

• 3 years later...
The lack of brain damage is more due to the quality of CPR he was getting during the whole ordeal rather than the shape he was in. He had immediate attention and was lucky enough to be brought back. He may not have had the episode happen if he wasn't stressing his heart, but there are plenty of explanations that have more to do with hereditary and genetic problems that would have happened just as easily if he was out of shape.

I've been interested in the studies that have shown that all mammals, regardless of size, all get about one billion heartbeats from birth to death. It's been an ongoing back and forth with my wife, discussing whether marathons and other endurance sports can actually shorten your life rather than extending it. Here's an interesting article I showed her a while ago.

Interesting. I've always thought the same thing. As usual no proof is every concrete it's hard to isolate. But when you trail too high intense you can enlarge your heart and harden the heart muscle which makes it hard to pump blood over time. If I wasn't on mobile I'd dig up a couple studies but consensus is more intense training leads to shorter lifespan.

Spot on amigo. 👍

The life expectancy of a pro cyclist is ~54 years.

I agree w Audibull. The CPR coupled with the patient's DNA helped. Elite athletes are built differently. Often they have a better resistance to the effects of lactic acid buildup. As long as good for was delivering oxygen and his body was able to handle he acidosis he had a fighting chance.

It is an interesting thought. Take someone like Lance Armstrong, toss out factors like cancer, chemo, and whatever he put into his body affecting his lifespan. At his peak physical condition, his heart rate was recorded at 32bpm. That is damn near comatose compared to my resting heart rate. The question is, does his resting rate offset his BPM during training, races, and peak exertion which can well exceed 200bpm? Definitely an interesting topic.

Interesting article. The human body is built to distance run. Humans beat out almost all the other animals in that category. We have a huge profusion of slow-twitch muscle fibers, very short body hair, sweat glands all over, huge butts that play the role normally played by a tail in most animals for when we run, very light skeletons in comparison to other hominids that have lived, etc...IMO, it wouldn't so much be running or exercise that can lower one's life but rather physical exertion taken to an extreme.

The original "marathon" was done by a Greek messenger in ancient Greece who ran from the city of Marathon to Athens to deliver the news of victory over the Persians. However, then he dropped dead after telling.

There are some tribes that regularly run marathon distances to run down animals via persistence hunting. Another thing to think about is that life expectancy in prehistoric times was about 40 to 50 years, so maybe the issue with the heart beating faster wasn't a concern evolution-wise.

Spot on amigo.

I agree w Audibull. The CPR coupled with the patient's DNA helped. Elite athletes are built differently. Often they have a better resistance to the effects of lactic acid buildup. As long as good for was delivering oxygen and his body was able to handle he acidosis he had a fighting chance.

Assam has me blocked, but I am curious about the statistic that pro cyclists only live 54 years. According to this study, they actually live six years longer than the general population: http://road.cc/content/news/92698-study-fi...63-years-longer

It is an interesting thought. Take someone like Lance Armstrong, toss out factors like cancer, chemo, and whatever he put into his body affecting his lifespan. At his peak physical condition, his heart rate was recorded at 32bpm. That is damn near comatose compared to my resting heart rate. The question is, does his resting rate offset his BPM during training, races, and peak exertion which can well exceed 200bpm? Definitely an interesting topic.

I'm not sure what you mean, maybe because I didn't read the article, but basically a well conditioned athlete's heart is so strong and efficient that it does the same work with less beats. It's like how the new corvette v8 avoided GGT despite being a 7liter engine. When not working hard it worked efficiently. The amazing thing then is the capability when it's working at full bore.

Assam has me blocked, but I am curious about the statistic that pro cyclists only live 54 years. According to this study, they actually live six years longer than the general population: http://road.cc/content/news/92698-study-fi...63-years-longer

I think his number probably includes people killed in traffic accidents or in races. We lost a very young man, Chad Young, a few weeks ago in the Tour of the Gila. He crashed on a descent and succumbed to his injuries. A few days before Michele Scarponi died in a traffic accident being run over by a van that ran a stop sign. Yesterday, Nicky Hayden of World Superbike fame was hit by a driver that was on the wrong side of the road, and he is in critical condition. I think that statistic helps increase the mortality rate of pro cyclists. If you look at the vast majority of pro cyclists, they live long lives, until they get killed.

I think his number probably includes people killed in traffic accidents or in races. We lost a very young man, Chad Young, a few weeks ago in the Tour of the Gila. He crashed on a descent and succumbed to his injuries. A few days before Michele Scarponi died in a traffic accident being run over by a van that ran a stop sign. Yesterday, Nicky Hayden of World Superbike fame was hit by a driver that was on the wrong side of the road, and he is in critical condition. I think that statistic helps increase the mortality rate of pro cyclists. If you look at the vast majority of pro cyclists, they live long lives, until they get killed.

Agree with this.Heck, recently a cyclist was killed freakishly just from taking a fall at 20mph. Non pro, recreation rider.

Intense exercise is supposed to decrease telomere shortening in DNA chromosome. From memory, when DNA replicates, telomere length decreases. However, in people who intensely exercise, their cells age slower, they have longer telomeres . Sure a quick google search would bring up some studies.

Spot on amigo. 👍

This thread being bumped brought two things to mind...

1. It would be interesting around here to have random old threads bumped.

2. I had a lot more free time to post when I wrote that three years ago.

An interesting thingive heard on coffees. So coffee makes your body brain speed up- the rush.... you seem to have more time since youre moving faster. But the body knows its age and then you pay for it- so you will add that time to your bio age and look older faster

An interesting thingive heard on coffees. So coffee makes your body brain speed up- the rush.... you seem to have more time since youre moving faster. But the body knows its age and then you pay for it- so you will add that time to your bio age and look older faster

lol what?

Coffee works using caffeine.

Caffeine can make osteoporosis worse. That can make you look older.

:iamwithstupid:

Just ran 2.5 miles in a workout with some Olympic lifts.

RIP me. :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid: :D

That's great, how much you lifting?

Been doing weight lifting to fix my weaker self. When I started, was 140 lbs and could barely bench press 140 lbs and squat 120 lbs, and deadlift maybe 130 lbs. Now I am 165 lbs and benching 170 lbs 5x5, squatting 215 lbs 5x5, deadlifting 240 lbs 5x5, and doing 5x5 sets of pullups with 20 lbs. Still not anything world-class, my goal is to work up to at least a 225 lb bench press, 300 lb squat, 400 lb deadlift, and pullups with 40 lbs. Longer-term, 500 lb squat and 600 lb deadlift.

Hayden succumbed to his injuries today.

Hayden succumbed to his injuries today.

Absolutely tragic.

• 2 months later...